• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 CN Reader Poll: Legend of Cycling

Legend of cycling

• No opinion for legend of cycling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
2012 CN Reader Poll: Legend of Cycling

There are some... interesting choices on the reader poll this year under the Legend of Cycling category. Just curious about who chose who, and why.

I chose Moncoutie, to support a certain "speed" of cycling. And I'm a sucker for scrappy Frenchmen on bikes. :cool:

Freire is a close runner-up, though, because of his tenacious style. You could never count that guy out in a race. I know he has his detractors, but I love watching him position himself perfectly in a finale (with virtually no help from his team) and spring from the group for the win. Smart, smart racer.

There's also one kinda odd duck choice that would make a strong statement about politics in cycling if he won. Anyone choose him?

Please keep Clinic discussions out of it--if you've chosen certain options, then the significance of that choice can be assumed without having to be explicitly voiced. I want to keep this in Pro Cycling to see what everyone thinks, and many posters stay out of The Clinic. ;)

The contenders:

Kristin Armstrong
Judith Arndt
Oscar Freire
Fiorenzo Magni
David Moncoutie
Victoria Pendleton
Travis Tygart
Daphny van den Brand
No opinion for legend of cycling

If you like to have "The clinic"-related issues off this board then perhaps it would have been wise not selecting certain names in this poll leading it directly to "clinic"-related issues?

For me its Travis Tygart. His actions speaks for himself and i dont need to mention them here (we all know).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Magni of course, his determination to never quit embodied what cycling is. Tygart in my opinion should not even be on the poll. To me legend of cycling means a rider that will always be remembered for the races he won and more importantly how he won those races. Not someone who will be remembered for taking other riders down. Regardless of who those riders were.

Also, Vino really should be on the poll, how does Kristin Armstrong and Daphny van den Brand get on the poll and Vino doesn't?

Afrank said:
[...]

Also, Vino really should be on the poll, how does Kristin Armstrong and Daphny van den Brand get on the poll and Vino doesn't?

That's a good question. Do note that this isn't my list; it's taken verbatim from the CyclingNews reader poll. ;( I have no idea how or why Vino was left off. That question almost deserves its own thread!

Vino or no Vino, Daphny is awesome and I was ecstatic that she was able to go out on a World Cup overall win even though it was disappointing that Supervos was so unstoppable at the Worlds because a rainbow jersey was probably the only thing that could have coaxed her out of her decision to retire.

Oscar Freire, the surprise-man. He never was the favorite, but he has a impresive palmares.

To Win 3 World Championship it's amazing. To win 3 MSR... amazing. To win both 3 times, etc, etc... I have no words. I thinks he was one of top-10 of the decade.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Travis shouldn't be on the poll.I don't agree with these admins who want to become celebs.
Same with Pound,Fahey,McQuaid,Novitsky.Their Ego's are way too important.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Voted for Kristin Armstrong just tothrow the poll off and so she would have at least one vote, I had no idea who Daphny was/is. The decision between Kristin and Daphny was difficult but in the end Kristin had the same last name as our Evil one so thought this way it would keep his name up and everyone would be reminded of him and be angry at that and help with the cause of him being taken down.

:p

Yeah, it's a funny list. I voted for Magni because, objectively, he is a cycling legend. Not only his palmares, but his awesome work with the Ghisallo cycling museum (I went there this summer, and seriously like 60% of the pro cycling stuff there is from his own collection), make it kind of hard to argue against him. However, it's like apples and oranges to compare him to active or recently retired cyclists - I know he just died so he's on the ballot this year, but comparing ex-pros who raced in mythical times to current pros is not really a great way to do things. I mean, what if he loses? It doesn't really 'honour' him to put him on the ballot, it might be more classy to allot him an honorary 'legend of cycling' award next to the winner of the actual poll, when the results are announced.

Of the others, Freire. Classy rider, one of my very favourites.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Rui Quinta said:
Oscar Freire, the surprise-man. He never was the favorite, but he has a impresive palmares.

To Win 3 World Championship it's amazing. To win 3 MSR... amazing. To win both 3 times, etc, etc... I have no words. I thinks he was one of top-10 of the decade.

But those are just about the only things he won... well he also won the green jersey, TA (weird edition of the race w/o climbs) Paris Tours, & GW. For me he is maybe one of the top 30 of the decade... but yeah.

Oscar for me.

Why is Tygart here? He's nothing to do with cycling. He's been at USADA for 10 years, the boss for 5 years. What was he doing in those years? If you want to go down the anti-doping theme, I'd suggest Anne Gripper.
But this is a conversation for another forum.

Oscar - three World's, three MSRs, the bunny hop attack, the stories of his absent mindedness. All round class act.

(The allegations of Magni's wartime activities put me off him)

TRENDING THREADS