• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Brabantse Pijl, 200km, April 16th (HC)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Anderis said:
Haas keeps impressing me this season. He was in the breakaway, then blocked by Matthews few hundret meters to go, yet still finished 6th. He already has 13 top8 places this year. I just wonder why isn't he in Garmin's roster for AGR.

Agree with this, was a prominent rider at the TDU and looks to have gained strength compared to last year.

Dazed and Confused said:
Gilbert probably deserves a picture after today's win:

The early attack makes it slightly difficult to assess his strengths in the finale, but I think hes ready to be a factor in AGR.

And when I say factor, I mean in play to win the race.

Winning the sprint after wasting such a lot of effort means he's strong indeed. On the other hand the field will be a lot stronger on Sunday and next week.

red_flanders said:
Last 10k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUm-d-HG-kQ

Gilbert's move certainly questionable/aggressive, but with all the room to their right no surprise there was no sanction. Good racing IMO.

When I was watching it live I definately thought that he crossed the line of fairness, but the replay and specially the topview clearly showed there wasn't much wrong with his actions.
Matthews congratulating Gilbert directly after they crossed the line only confirmed that conclusion.

I think it's only fair that a rider is allowed to move a little from side to side, as long as it doesn't really endanger others. That way there is also a benefit to the rider who goes at 250/300m compared to waiting for 100/150m to hit the wind.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
I think it's only fair that a rider is allowed to move a little from side to side, as long as it doesn't really endanger others. That way there is also a benefit to the rider who goes at 250/300m compared to waiting for 100/150m to hit the wind.

I agree.

I also think there should be a little leeway given to slight side to side moves, after all, it's a sprint. When your going max out trying to get to the line first, sometimes you can't help moving to the side a little.

TRENDING THREADS