• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Top 15 GC Racers in the World?

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
1. Froome
2. Nibali
3. Quintana
4. Contador
5. Porte
6. Valverde
7. Wiggins * remove, add Horner if rides WT
8. Purito
9. Kreuziger
10. Mollema
11. Uran
12. Evans
13. Talansky
14. Bentancur
15. Tejay * remove add Costa

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Errr... how is Porte a better GT rider than Purito? He's 28 and finished in the top 10 of a GT once, and even then he owed a lot of that to a breakaway.

Wait, for next season. Sorry, yeah that looks like a plausible top 15. I do still have my doubts over Porte though. And I feel Valverde might be nearing his expiration date.

As for Wiggins - His days of competing for a top position in GTs are probably done

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Is this your opinion or based on some sort of poll/points system?

Wiggins and Tejay should be lower, they did nothing this year and will IMO do even less in 2014..

Purito I would put above Valverde, and Mollema below Uran and Evans.

Pretty close I think. Although Rui Costa, Hesjedal should possibly be in there instead of Talansky and TJVG. As for the Schlecks, they should be in there but 2011 seems a long time ago now and it remains to be seen how they will compete in 2014 or if they can anymore with the best riders. Majka and Pinot would be close but Gesink probably misses out. I'd say the first 10 pick themselves but the last 5 would be open to discussion.

whittashau said:
Errr... how is Porte a better GT rider than Purito? He's 28 and finished in the top 10 of a GT once, and even then he owed a lot of that to a breakaway.

Maybe it's top 15 as a group, not in set order although most people would have Froome as number one. As a group it's pretty good. The 2010 Giro was a long time ago. Porte has improved since then.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Based on Potential to Podium GTs for 2014. I left Horner off by mistake, but without a team, oh well.

Yes, Purito is probably #3 in the world, without long flat TT.

In terms of actual success next year, i.e. winning chances, I see Froome and Porte on 1st and 2nd.

The Vuelta is up for grabs where J-Rod, Valverde and Contador wants to participate but not quite peak due the the Worlds being in Spain methinks.

Maybe Quintana, but can he be GC competitive in two GT's already? Doubtful. Maybe Nibali if something goes wrong in the tour.

Definetly, Wiggins out.

1. Froome (clinic or not, pretty much invincible in 3 weeks at the moment
2. Nibali (slightly worse than Nairo climbing, but definetly much better in TT's)
3. Quintana (the above)
4. Valverde (swap with Alberto, he will win Le Tour)
5. Purito (I'd place him on par with Valverde)
6. Contador (hope he can re-discover his best form)
7. Porte (meh, either does very well or very bad in 2014)
8. Uran (his Giro form was great, hope he can show it next year again)
9. Mollema (certainly will maintain climbing form next year)
10. Costa (Cracks in the steeper slopes. Perhaps more altitude training should be done also)
11. Kreuziger (Great year this was. Difficult to match in 2014)
12. Evans (Almighty legend :cool:, can't see him win anything but classics next year. Should place himself high in GC tho)
13. Betancur
14. Talansky / Pinot / Tejay
15. Kwiatkowski (he will do well, the force is with him(I may be be biased towards him))

May 12, 2013
Visit site
1.Froome
2.Quintana
3.Nibali
4.Purito
5.Porte
6.Contador
7.Valverde
8.Uran
9.Costa
10.Kreuziger
11.Mollema
12.Fuglsang
13.Talansky
14.Henao
15.Pinot/Kwiatkovski

Ivan Basso.

images

Since it was not specified what type of GCs they should be:

Óscar Sevilla (2 UCI-rated stage races entered in 2013, 1st, 1st)
Mirsamad Pourseyedi (1st, 1st and 2nd)
Chris Froome (1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, DNF) - that DNF hurts him.
Julian David Arredondo (1st, 2nd, 1st, DNF)
Patrik Sinkewitz (3rd, 3rd, 1st)
Riccardo Zoidl (8th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th)
Chris Horner (6th, DNF, 2nd, 1st)
Vincenzo Nibali (10th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 53rd, 2nd)
Ghader Mizbani (13th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 6th, 1st, 7th)
Nairo Quintana (7th, 11th, 15th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 14th)

Libertine Seguros said:
Since it was not specified what type of GCs they should be:

Óscar Sevilla (2 UCI-rated stage races entered in 2013, 1st, 1st)
Mirsamad Pourseyedi (1st, 1st and 2nd)
Chris Froome (1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, DNF) - that DNF hurts him.
Julian David Arredondo (1st, 2nd, 1st, DNF)
Patrik Sinkewitz (3rd, 3rd, 1st)
Riccardo Zoidl (8th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th)
Chris Horner (6th, DNF, 2nd, 1st)
Vincenzo Nibali (10th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 53rd, 2nd)
Ghader Mizbani (13th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 6th, 1st, 7th)
Nairo Quintana (7th, 11th, 15th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 14th)
The year was specified though, and he's not talking about 2013 ;)

fraserhughes said:
Is this your opinion or based on some sort of poll/points system?

Wiggins and Tejay should be lower, they did nothing this year and will IMO do even less in 2014..

Purito I would put above Valverde, and Mollema below Uran and Evans.

I put stage races only into the CQ Rankings for 2013, TJ came 8th and Uran 28th weirdly,

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Is beyond me how could Evans, Wiggins and Horner be in any list for 2014.

Horner won't have a team, Evans got lucky half the mountains were cancelled at this year's giro and Wiggins simply won't bother anymore.

I guess the belief of the poster is that Horner will find a one year deal and will need to ride like 2013 to find a ride in 2015, Wiggins takes the stress off leading the Tour and can ride to a high finish due to the long ITT, If he's 90% of the rider he was in 2012 he's well inside the 15, and if Evans rides a 2 GTs he's actually prepared for he can reasonably be expected in the top 10 of both. Early season will tell with Evans, when he's good early he's good all year.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
del1962 said:
I put stage races only into the CQ Rankings for 2013, TJ came 8th and Uran 28th weirdly,

No surprise. Aside Giro, Uran had no big results.

That is of course due to his position at Sky etc. but still.

TRENDING THREADS