• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Gent - Wevelgem, 29/03, 239km 1.UWT

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Paolini is short and strong and the wind did him a little less harm then bigger dudes. Lots of available racing video will show that Paolini has some serious punch when it comes to @10k or so, his lead out of Kristoff earlier this year was pretty epic. He is a deserving winner.

From my 12th till my 18th I rode my bike to school every day. Sure no 200km, but 6km imstead.
I've endured tons of storm and even hurricanes (11bft). Not a single time was I blown off my bike (some did though :) )

Some riders saying it shouldn't be allowed to ride in these circumstances are just pussies. Really.

When it's 0 celsius with this storm and wet snow...ok then it might be dangerous. Sure it was dangerous, but within limits imo.

Re:

Kwibus said:
From my 12th till my 18th I rode my bike to school every day. Sure no 200km, but 6km imstead.
I've endured tons of storm and even hurricanes (11bft). Not a single time was I blown off my bike (some did though :) )

Some riders saying it shouldn't be allowed to ride in these circumstances are just pussies. Really.

When it's 0 celsius with this storm and wet snow...ok then it might be dangerous. Sure it was dangerous, but within limits imo.

Check the photos, like Volderke said before, every photo of a cyclist crashing because of the wind shows said cyclist using high rims. You can't complain about conditions if you fail to prepare for those conditions (seriously, mechanics get paid for that kind of stuff right?).

To be honest I go out in most weather, either cold, rain or sun. However I draw the line at extremely high winds, riding my bike is a pleasure but when I'm being blown into the middle of the road due to losing control enough is enough. I don't wish to end up under a car which had nearly happened to me before despite my 85kg frame! I can understand why some were unhappy.