• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Gent - Wevelgem, 29/03, 239km 1.UWT

After Friday's crashes there are still some riders left who dare to enter tomorrow's race, Gent-Wevelgem. They changed their name last year in Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Field to commemorate the battles of the Ieper salient. Which is a great name with tomorrow's weather forecast in mind. It will we windy and wet, so beware of some nice echelon racing in West Flanders.

They altered last year's parcours a bit with adding some extra kilometres in the first part of the race but the rest of the parcours is unchanged.

gw_map2015_670.jpg

gw_profile2015_670.jpg

Last 10 editions
2014 DEGENKOLB John
2013 SAGAN Peter
2012 BOONEN Tom
2011 BOONEN Tom
2010 EISEL Bernhard
2009 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
2008 FREIRE GOMEZ Oscar
2007 BURGHARDT Marcus
2006 HUSHOVD Thor
2005 MATTAN Nico

Although he wasn't in great shape at the E3, Stannard would be a nice bet for tomorrow's race, considering he thrives on this kind of weather.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The weather forecast is pretty serious.

Besides the fact that they're predicting a lot of rain throughout the entire day, there will be a strong wind the entire day from the West. So after the hilly zone, they will have a bit of crosswinds up to Ieper and then they will have the wind in their backs towards Wevelgem. This should really favour attackers. This edition won't be a bunch sprint, methinks. Vanmarcke or Styby ftw.

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Gent-Wevelgem

Although he wasn't in great shape at the E3, Stannard would be a nice bet for tomorrow's race, considering he thrives on this kind of weather.

If you are feeling Stannard's chances for this I would suggest a small wager (if that is possible where you live). He is currently 66/1 for the outright win and that would be a very nice payday!

Enjoy the race!

Odds: http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb ... inner.html

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
The weather forecast is pretty serious.

Besides the fact that they're predicting a lot of rain throughout the entire day, there will be a strong wind the entire day from the West. So after the hilly zone, they will have a bit of crosswinds up to Ieper and then they will have the wind in their backs towards Wevelgem. This should really favour attackers. This edition won't be a bunch sprint, methinks. Vanmarcke or Styby ftw.
Remember Cavendish winninh in Saint Amand Montrond in the 2013 Tour de France. I know it was flat but he has done well in hilly races and some of those were in the rain.
Looking at the odds ill go with Sacah Modolo :D . Never heard of him but could spring a surprise :D .

Fantastic weather tomorrow. Hoping for mayhem (without crashes...).

Stannard weather, but I hope he won't win. Enough sky wins so far, just like I don't hope for an Etixx win.

In all fairness I don't really care as long as it will be an heroic edition with an winner that earned it. That means not someone who sat on wheels the entire day to show his face the last 200mtr.