• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Giro d'Italia, St. 8: Fiuggi – Campitello Matese 186 km

Stage 8: Fiuggi – Campitello Matese 186 kms MTF

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_08.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_08.jpg

Start time: 12:05, May 16th

Analysis:
Second MTF of the Giro, on the hardest final climb of the whole race (!). We start in Fiuggi, and after a first descending section the peloton hits the first ascent of the day, the uncategorized climb to Veroli. After the valley, the riders will climb the GPM2 Forca d'Acero (26 kms at 5%), very long but with low gradients. Once the climb is done, a short descent will lead the bunch to a series of descending false flats and little hills, none of them is really important, but they'll all add to the overall fatigue. As soon as they reach the bottom of this section, it's time for the final climb: the GPM1 Campitello Matese (13 km at 6.9%), that despite being not nearly as tough as your typical Giro queen MTF, is still a good climb, where it is possible to make the difference. It's worth noting that the actual climb ends at 700m to the finish, which is on gentle descent. The Giro has finished here 5 times in its history, and the list of past winners is quite impressive.

9PYCJvT.png

tappa_08_S02.jpg

N7ZhD5V.png

WINNERS IN CAMPITELLO MATESE
1982 Hinault
1983 Fernandez
1988 Chioccioli
1994 Berzin
2002 Simoni

Expectations:
The first showdown between the main contenders. Probably serious attacks starting from 4 km to the top. I expect a solo winner from the GC contenders.

I have a feeling about intxausti for this. He dropped big time on Abetone, but he had already lost GC at stage 4. His shape should be fine judging by his results leading up to the Giro and he goes well in rainy weather. Has he had any problem regarding health? If not, he could win the stage from the break I think.

Re:

Bushman said:
I have a feeling about intxausti for this. He dropped big time on Abetone, but he had already lost GC at stage 4. His shape should be fine judging by his results leading up to the Giro and he goes well in rainy weather. Has he had any problem regarding health? If not, he could win the stage from the break I think.

Team said he was suffering from the heath

Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Bushman said:

Team said he was suffering from the heath
If that was really the case thats one more reason why tomorrow could be his day

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Breakaway. Maybe 20 riders in it. TS and Astana to send troops as well. Who knows who will win from the breakaway

I second this...

I thought a break would take it today so might as well be wrong twice in a row... :)

Anyway plenty of quality riders in the peloton who have yet to get a chance in the break..
Many of those wont stand a chance with the big guns so they will dig deep from the get go...

Today was a hard day regardless of moderate pace, and I think the GC guys will have plenty to do watching eachother tomorrow...

I think a successful 15 guy break is very likely...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I also think that Astana/SKY and Etixx will leave all teh work for Tinkoff tomorrow..

Much better to have a possibly weakened Contador with as few fresh people as possible...

Tinkoff should be aware of this and will not spend too much energy chasing...

This could be the 15 minute brak of the Giro?