• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just realized that NBCSN in the US won't be replaying this stage tomorrow night because there's a NASCAR race, and I can't watch it at work, so I'm not going to be able to watch it. Maybe someone will upload it on YouTube or something.

Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163

Gigs_98 said:
Would be the funniest stage of the year if Contador wins :D

However I think the break will win and I'm pretty sure froome won't gain any time because I still think he didnt look good yesterday. I'd be very very happy if Quintana would gain time and if aru wouldn't loose any.

Yes, he didnt look great, but no bad. Payrol dont suits him too well, becouse is very hard, and at the end it was an explosive finish...

The problem tomorrow is that Porte is not with him now and that Thomas doenst look so strong a last year. Anyway Thomas is ok and there is another strong riders for tomorrow as Henao, so thay have to put a high pace to het people tired, the momet whe Froome can do a superattack.

If Froome and SKY are thinking just in the ITT and last week they are wrong. It is not a day for big differennces, but it is maybe the only day in the mountains when he could drop Quintana

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:
Purito or Dan Martin

From a favourites group at the end?

Yeah. Expecting Froome/Quintana to attack, fail to drop the other, look at each other, isolate themselves, 2nd tier favourites catch up, attack, and nobody chases. Purito or Dan Martin being amongst those who might get away.
Who are you fooling? We know that Valverde will pace the whole climb and win, like he did last year at the Vuelta (?)?

Taxus4a said:
Gigs_98 said:
The problem tomorrow is that Porte is not with him now and that Thomas doenst look so strong a last year. Anyway Thomas is ok and there is another strong riders for tomorrow as Henao, so thay have to put a high pace to het people tired, the momet whe Froome can do a superattack.

If Froome and SKY are thinking just in the ITT and last week they are wrong. It is not a day for big differennces, but it is maybe the only day in the mountains when he could drop Quintana

G injured his ribs in the crash on stage 1. He's doing OK considering.

I agree with your assessment that Froome should be looking to attack. The Aspin is ideal for him, but I don't expect large gaps. However, I think that the Ventoux will be crucial to Froome's plans. The wind may give a power climber a real advantage over a pure climber.

Re: Re:

MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:
Purito or Dan Martin

From a favourites group at the end?

Yeah. Expecting Froome/Quintana to attack, fail to drop the other, look at each other, isolate themselves, 2nd tier favourites catch up, attack, and nobody chases. Purito or Dan Martin being amongst those who might get away.
Who are you fooling? We know that Valverde will pace the whole climb and win, like he did last year at the Vuelta (?)?

One can always be optimistic for an exciting race

Sky will kill any ideas of an attack from the others not that Quintana will be thinking of such a foolish act or that Contador could possibly be able to attack. The others, those who of course can, will sheepishly follow until the top then on the descent. Maybe Valverde wins the reduced sprint.

Taxus4a said:
Gigs_98 said:
Would be the funniest stage of the year if Contador wins :D

However I think the break will win and I'm pretty sure froome won't gain any time because I still think he didnt look good yesterday. I'd be very very happy if Quintana would gain time and if aru wouldn't loose any.

Yes, he didnt look great, but no bad. Payrol dont suits him too well, becouse is very hard, and at the end it was an explosive finish...

In my opinion, Froome is targeting Andorra and Ventoux to take and solidify yellow, then put a minute into Nairo, where he can defend for the last four stages. Whether that is the right strategy or if I am right, we don't know, but I will be surprised if he does anything but defend tomorrow. Henao has looked great for him so far.

Aspin descent

mlOqeew.jpg

Good road surface. Tarmac looks like consisting of fair amount of stone, so melting shouldn't be an issue.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Cummings or Costa from a break.

Porte and Quintana to put pressure on the others. Purito will surprise. Pinot will fade.
Dream on :p . The best soccer player in the peloton will be energized after France's glorious win at the Euro.

I agree with Sir Fly: 10-15 guys or so at the top (probably Bardet again ignites the thing), a few may come back in the descent, sprint, one of the balas wins it. Bertie loses at least 30 seconds.

Landa-Poels were kept "saved" at stage 5 so they should up the pace as long as possible do thin the group. Really anxious to see if movi can match sky in numbers. I agree that given a good chance, small group, Froome should attack on this one. Even if it is to "soften up" and take the edge out of attackers legs for the weekend.
Bardet to try and Valverde only if that is a chance for yellow...
Probably regroup at the end or small gaps.. GVA to loose big chunk of time but will keep yellow...
Contador?? dont know...

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
The most interesting thing to watch will not be who wins the GC sprint in the last 200, but rather, which contender will be found out and dropped? Seeing who falters on the first mountain stage is one of the Tour's most time honored traditions.

TMP402 said:
Jspear said:
Lil_Tommy_V said:
Excuse my ignorance but has Froome ever won a descent finish of a grand tour?

Nope

Although he is one of the better sprinters among GC riders. If Valverde or Alaphilippe don't make it...

He really isn't. He's probably the best sprinter of the really top end GC riders (like Contador and Nibali), but there are a lot of GC riders short of that level who will beat him every time should it come to a sprint. He's not even close to as fast as a Martin, obviously but also less heralded minor GC men like, say, a Mollema. The really top end GC riders are sloooooooooowwww.

Froome can certainly win this stage and he can even win if he arrives into the finale with just a couple of the very best climbers. But he won't win if he arrives with a group of more than say four.

Zinoviev Letter said:
TMP402 said:
Jspear said:
Lil_Tommy_V said:

Nope

Although he is one of the better sprinters among GC riders. If Valverde or Alaphilippe don't make it...

He really isn't. He's probably the best sprinter of the really top end GC riders (like Contador and Nibali), but there are a lot of GC riders short of that level who will beat him every time should it come to a sprint. He's not even close to as fast as a Martin, obviously but also less heralded minor GC men like, say, a Mollema. The really top end GC riders are sloooooooooowwww.

Froome can certainly win this stage and he can even win if he arrives into the finale with just a couple of the very best climbers. But he won't win if he arrives with a group of more than say four.

Sorry, "GC riders" was too ambiguous, I did indeed mean the big four (or whatever the big-number is anymore). I can't see him holding people off on the descent unless when he attacks on the climb he has already whittled it down to, say, Quintana, Pinot, Bardet and Aru.

TMP402 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
TMP402 said:
Jspear said:
Lil_Tommy_V said:

Nope

Sorry, "GC riders" was too ambiguous, I did indeed mean the big four (or whatever the big-number is anymore). I can't see him holding people off on the descent unless when he attacks on the climb he has already whittled it down to, say, Quintana, Pinot, Bardet and Aru.

Fair enough. You are definitely right that he's as fast as it gets among the "big four". It's just that the GC men who are also regular Ardennes top 10 finishers tend to be faster than any of those guys. So those riders have to be gone if he's winning from a small select group.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
bardet might do a sneaky attack close to the top then speed down hill, while Froome is busy watching Quintana. He'll win the stage, but he will pay dearly in Andora as Froome returns the favor. Contador will most likely loose time if the GC contenders start attacking.

TRENDING THREADS