• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta Field Speculation

I know it's still very early but do we know who's certain to ride the Vuelta?
Could be a very open field considering many GT riders will try to be in good shape at the Olympics. I don't see anybody being able to extend their peak from Rio to the Vuelta, especially if they ride the Tour, but who knows?

I'll try to keep the OP updated when riders/teams are confirmed.

With so many riders targeting the Olympics, especially those who are riding the Tour too, I think it will be a 'wait and see' job for most.

Froome said he would like to ride the Vuelta again but it depends how tough the Tour is, he will then ride the Olympic RR and iTT too. I guess Contador and Quintana will also be in Rio after the Tour, they may ride the Vuelta if they are still feeling ok.

Surely Chavez will ride the Vuelta again this year, and some of the other Giro GC guys like Valverde, Kruijswijk, Nibali ect?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
If Kruiswijk doesn't go to the Tour, he'll be one of the favourites for the Vuelta.

But knowing LottoNL they'll just send a tired SK to the Tour so they can get one of their beloved 9th place spots on GC.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
If Kruiswijk doesn't go to the Tour, he'll be one of the favourites for the Vuelta.

But knowing LottoNL they'll just send a tired SK to the Tour so they can get one of their beloved 9th place spots on GC.
As far as I know Kruiswijk doesn't really like the heat and Unipublic stages.
If Gesink is really just stagehuntig/helping Wilco and peaking for the Vuelta like he said a few moths ago he could do very well.
Chaves and Purito seem to be a given, Quintana will probably show up, maybe Ion Izagirre will have a protected role.
I don't think that Valverde will ride a 3rd gt after Giro, Tour and the Olympics, that would be a little bit too much.
Bora should send Patrick Konrad to the Vuelta, I think it's better to ride the Vuelta as your first gt. He's also pretty good in the heat and has a decent sprint, so the Vuelta should suit him well.

Sergio Henao if not cleared in time for TdF.
Then the likes of Chaves, Purito, Gesink, Anton, probably Nieve, Samy Sanchez, Superman Lopez.
I hope Froome, Quintana and Contador stay away from this. TdF + Olympics it's already incredibly hard(given that usually Froome and Contador are in form from Dauphine. Or at least Froome).

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Too bad Landa will not focus on the Vuelta. We would have got madness :(

Purito, Chavito, Henao, Froome, Gesink, Sammy, Nieve. Nice field.

Valverde? He won't go to WC so I could see him making the triple and call it a day. What should he do after the Tour anyways - Canada? I don't think he wants that.
Landa depends on how fast he is on the bike and how he performs and is feeling after the Tour. Should also participate.
Izagirre will get a proctored role in this Vuelta Im sure. No Tour, no Vuelta and has shown his climbing abilities this year.
Chaves surely, same with Purito.
Quintana and Froome likely. Contador? Maybe.
The TdF-riders, Aru, Porte, TJ, Pinot etc? I think Aru for sure, his sprint has been underwhelming and he will try to defend it.

If Nibali and Aru won't go for Astana i think Scarponi could be a great option, at the Giro looks stronger than Nibali.
For Sky Froome probably will go or at least they can try Thomas as GC leader.
Katusha with Purito for sure.
Sanchez could lead BMC if Porte or van Garderen won't crash out of the Tour.
Movistar with Quintana and i think also Valverde.
Another that could go in Spain is Peraud for AG2R after his crash at the Giro.
For Tinkoff Contador is almost sure.
Add to this some others from the Giro like Chaves, Jungels, Anton and who will crash out from the Tour.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
If Nibali and Aru won't go for Astana i think Scarponi could be a great option, at the Giro looks stronger than Nibali.
Add to this some others from the Giro like Chaves, Jungels, Anton and who will crash out from the Tour.
Scarponi hates the heat, he has always sucked with hot weather, so the Vuelta is a horrbile gt for him.
They'll send Superman Lopez to ride his first gt, for gc they should have Rosa (let's see if he can perform in a gt) and Birdsong as co-leaders, but apparently Jakob is going to ride the Tour after the Giro.

In 2013 he was 15th supporting Nibali, doesn't seem so bad, expecially if you take in account that he lost more than five minutes in the TT and more than ten in the Angliru stage (without this could be a top ten).
Also if he doesn't like hot weather could be a better option than Lopez at his first GT and Rosa that didn't ride for GC before neither in small races.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
In 2013 he was 15th supporting Nibali, doesn't seem so bad, expecially if you take in account that he lost more than five minutes in the TT and more than ten in the Angliru stage (without this could be a top ten).
Also if he doesn't like hot weather could be a better option than Lopez at his first GT and Rosa that didn't ride for GC before neither in small races.
Back then he was still riding for Lampre, so he wasn't working for Nibali.

Re:

Nirvana said:

Thomas as last year will nto be top for the Vuleta especially after the Olympics ....Nieve will ride the Tour and not do 3 GTs
Froome may lead at Vuelta but I doubt it if he wins the Tour

Latest posts