• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Tirreno-Adriatico, March 8-14, WT

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
yaco said:
Dennis won as expected - Hepburn was the surprise, especially seeing Durbridge is going better in this discipline.

Interesting the Australian TTT over around 40kms was won by Dennis by 59 seconds and Hepburn was around 1m and 30 second down - Interesting thing is that in that race Durbridge was 3 seconds ahead of Dennis at the halfway split - Anyway its proving a decent form race at this early stage of the year.

Hepburn is flying at the moment - http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=30941 - I think that's comfortably his best ever performance in a hard race.

Surprised Hepburn made the final selection for the hilly stage 5 - Actually he and Durbridge are climbing unusually well - Though both were part of the nine riders coming from altitude training in South Africa.
Hepburn was very good on rolling stages as an U23, his cameo at L'Avenir was a prime example. Orica have hopefully realised that they're wasting Hepburn if they continue to use him purely as a draft horse.

Also, Hepburn skipped South Africa for some extra time back home in Brisbane.

Fair enough about Hepburn being in Brisbane - I was surprised how effective Hepburn was in the rolling stage 5, but even more surprised how he performed in the ITT, seeing how much he worked in stage 5 - Orica held Durbridge back in stage 5 to focus on the stage 5 ITT - Hard to see Hepburn being used as anything else as a draft horse in the WT races.

Whilst I will agree that Hepburn's prime focus at GTs & major one weekers WILL remain primarily that of a draft horse; these showings (both in ITT & in hiller terrain) may well see:

1. him being green lighted to really have a crack at ITT stages, especially early in stage races

2. this wider utility lead to him being part of team "set piece" manouevres

Certainly won't hurt his chances of retention come end of season

movingtarget said:
jaylew said:
johnymax said:
Do you guys consider Dennis the best ITT rider in the World right now? I think he is.
I don't think anyone really holds that title right now. Martin has declined, Cancellara has retired, Dumo and Dennis are focusing on GTs, Malori and Phinney haven't made it fully back from injury, other guys are either strong at short or long TTs but not both...I guess I'd still say Martin if I had to say who's currently the best but without any real conviction. Maybe it's Froome :confused:

It's definitely not Martin anymore but no one is dominating like Martin and Cancellara used to. Phinney has been disappointing. Dennis is the one that has improved the most.

Definitely not Martin? Who is definitely better now?

spiritualride said:
movingtarget said:
jaylew said:
johnymax said:
Do you guys consider Dennis the best ITT rider in the World right now? I think he is.
I don't think anyone really holds that title right now. Martin has declined, Cancellara has retired, Dumo and Dennis are focusing on GTs, Malori and Phinney haven't made it fully back from injury, other guys are either strong at short or long TTs but not both...I guess I'd still say Martin if I had to say who's currently the best but without any real conviction. Maybe it's Froome :confused:

It's definitely not Martin anymore but no one is dominating like Martin and Cancellara used to. Phinney has been disappointing. Dennis is the one that has improved the most.

Definitely not Martin? Who is definitely better now?

What I mean is he is not the force he used to be. Winning a championship is one thing but he is not dominating the way he used to.