• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 C du Dauphiné stage 7 St. Genix - Les Sept 133.5 km

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 7 Saint-Genix-les-Villages - Les Sept Laux-Pipay 133.5 km

Saturday - The 7th stage of the Critérium du Dauphiné is a mountainous race of 133.5 kilometres with an elevation gain of 4,150 metres. Expect the fireworks to detonate on the short and explosive course to Les Sept Laux-Pipay. The final climb is 19 kilometres at 6.9%

The route is well-balanced with a new peak every 30 kilometres or so. Following an undulating first 35 kilometres the stage kicks into gear at the foot of the Col de l’Épine, which is a 7.6 kilometres climb at 7.2%. Up next is the 12 kilometres long Col du Granier. The average gradient of this climb sits at 5.8%. It has been a while since the Granier last saw a pro-peloton. The Tour de France climbed the pass in 2012 in a stage that was won by David Millar.

Following a false flat section in the valley the Dauphiné tackles the Col de Marcieu: 10.4 kilometres at 6.1%. The riders reach the summit after 100.5 kilometres before a descent ushers in the grande finale. The first three climbs are 1st categorie, the final haul up is hors catégorie.

The Montée de Pipay is a 19 kilometres toil with an average gradient of 6.9%. It is a steady test with no double digits, the challenge is the sheer length of it. With the final climb the Dauphiné lives up to its promise to test unknown ascents, as the Montée de Pipay was not climbed by the pro-peloton since the 1980 Tour de France. So none of the riders will be familiar with the drag up to the ski resort of Les Sept Laux-Pipay.

Starts at 12.55 CET TV from 15.00 CET

stage-7-profile.jpg

map

stage-7-route.jpg

dauphine-2019-stage-7-climb-f958b00fe9.jpg

dauphine-2019-stage-7-climb-n2-39d39b8c54.jpg

dauphine-2019-stage-7-climb-n3-7d45fa1633.jpg

dauphine-2019-stage-7-climb-n4-778c09fada.jpg

No but seriously, I could see Buchmann sneak away on the climb. Buchmann will get more leash than many of the other favorites even if he is just as good a climber.

If someone like Quintana moves, he will be shot down immediately by Yates.

My guess: A leading duo of Buchmann/Pinot take 30 seconds on a group of chasers (Yates, Quintana, Fuglsang and Kruijswijk). Kruijswijk will be doing 90% of the chasing while the other three will be playing cat and mouse against each other. Dan Martin a bit further down followed by a group of Bardet, Porte and Poels around the minute and a half mark.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Sestriere said:
Velolover2 said:
Emanuel will win this bike race.
I'm sorry, do you mean Manny Bookman..?
Can't tell if you are trolling or not. I was talking about this guy:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/jesper-emanuelsson

Might be that you're trolling now...

--------------------------------------------------
My comment was referring to Kirby butchering Buchmann's name everytime while making the impression that they are best buddies.

But I agree with you, Emanuel for the win!

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Pinot to win stage by 20 seconds over Bardet, Yates, and Crushweak and GC.

Tonton to be MIA for 24 hours in celebration causing a worry.
Where do I sign ;) .

Tibo doesn't like to be bored, so short stages suit him well. The final climb should suit him well, it's a stage that he marked with a big bloody X. No doubt that Thibaut Pinot will attack: whether it backfires remains to be seen. I don't see him outside of a top-3 though.

Will TJVG crack again after looking good? Quintana could decide to make a statement; now that Froome is out of the Tour, maybe he'll find his guts...assert himself as the boss leading to July. Kruijswijk is a serious customer. Romain Bardet is a question mark, not to be underestimated for the stage win: he needs to build some morale. A couple more can do well.

I think that this stage will deliver entertainment-wise.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Pinot to win stage by 20 seconds over Bardet, Yates, and Crushweak and GC.

Tonton to be MIA for 24 hours in celebration causing a worry.
Where do I sign ;) .

Tibo doesn't like to be bored, so short stages suit him well. The final climb should suit him well, it's a stage that he marked with a big bloody X. No doubt that Thibaut Pinot will attack: whether it backfires remains to be seen. I don't see him outside of a top-3 though.

Will TJVG crack again after looking good? Quintana could decide to make a statement; now that Froome is out of the Tour, maybe he'll find his guts...assert himself as the boss leading to July. Kruijswijk is a serious customer. Romain Bardet is a question mark, not to be underestimated for the stage win: he needs to build some morale. A couple more can do well.

I think that this stage will deliver entertainment-wise.

____________________ Tonton's signature

As an American, I hope Tejay does good but I don't want to give him bad luck.

Reviewing the GC times I have realized Pinot is 25" behind, thus he will win by 30".

I have been pretty wrong before though. :eek:

The break will be gobbled up. Too much climbing and the GC teams will be dialing up the pace. Should be the end of of TJVG unless he finds his old climbing legs. Be interested to see the performances of some of the Tour riders especially Porte and Quintana. I expect Pinot to attack and the last climb is probably a pretty good one for him. Maybe Fuglsang as well.

Dumoulin to drop everyone.

It could happen. Looks like a really hard stage that probably won't see any attacks until the last 6-5 km. There's a point in the profile that goes from 9 percent down to under 6, which might be where we see some of the separation.

I think Porte will struggle as he's not quite in form just yet. Really hope he can stay upright at the Tour and give a good showing. Pinot will attack, not sure if he will have enough to win. Yates and NQ will cancel each other out, leaving the way for Fuglsang to take the win.

1. Fuglsand 2. Pinot 3. NQ 4. Yates 5. Poels. the rest...…..

Can't believe it's not on Eurosport til 6pm!

Re:

staubsauger said:
Would've said Fuglsang's gonna take this mountain stage and the yellow jersey, but given he crashed yesterday I'm not sure whether that harmed his shape or not!

I don't think he got hurt at all.

When he spoke to Danish TV yesterday evening he said: "Well, I think we were riding at 120 kph an hour on a descent and my front wheel just disappeared from under me... No, we were riding 20 kph uphill and a rider in front of me went to the left when I went to the right, so I got tangled with his rear wheel and tumbled into the ditch."

So low speed and a soft landing, even if Nick Schultz was also involved. He (Fuglsang) did get a cut on his elbow but he didn't think anything of it.

Re:

Bolder said:
Dumoulin to drop everyone.

It could happen. Looks like a really hard stage that probably won't see any attacks until the last 6-5 km. There's a point in the profile that goes from 9 percent down to under 6, which might be where we see some of the separation.

OK, well it won't be Tom. I'm glad he's not pushing through the pain. So, I'm actually hoping Nairo finds his legs again.

The final climb today is Fuglsang country.

No steep sections (steady 7 % all the way) and 19 k long, means his diesel engine can just keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.......

.....Pinot will attack, Quintana will attack, Bardet will attack, Buchmann will attack, and every time people will think Fuglsang has dropped, but he just keeps going and going and going..... :p

TRENDING THREADS