• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de l'Avenir /// 15th - 25th of August (2.Ncup)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Foss congratulating Van Wilder with his 3rd place. Awwww.

He does seem prone to crashing without breaking anything, Van Wilder. Another thing in common with Evenepoel. Height, weight, skillset, region of birth & handicap.

Imho, Sleen the strongest in the race. I think Ineos is already drawing up the contract.

Foss is really the strongest gc guy, but he's also already 22 years old and Scandinavians are often alrealy at their best at a young age.

Yes, but I don't really view Foss as being a typical young comet just passing by and then fade away. I don't know, but his development seems to be a slow step by step improvement, steady over time with some ups and downs on the way. It is his dedication to do things right, long term, that has brought him where he is now. If he can continue on that path I think he can keep on growing into his prime years.

Yes, but I don't really view Foss as being a typical young comet just passing by and then fade away. I don't know, but his development seems to be a slow step by step improvement, steady over time with some ups and downs on the way. It is his dedication to do things right, long term, that has brought him where he is now. If he can continue on that path I think he can keep on growing into his prime years.
It remains to be seen how he will develop. This guy was born in the same year as Bernal, Sivakov, Lambrecht... but while those guys were lighting it up in the pro races, Foss stuck around in the U23 to be able to beat kids 3 years younger than him, and in a diminished field. To me it feels like he won l'Avenir more on age difference than on talent. In the meanwhile he's been leapfrogged by Pogacar, Evenepoel, Hirschi and others. Personally i'm more impressed with Sleen than Foss. I think Foss will be a great pro, but how far exactly he can go, is hard to tell. Nevertheless, he was clearly the strongest GC rider of those still standing and more than deserved the win here.

It remains to be seen how he will develop. This guy was born in the same year as Bernal, Sivakov, Lambrecht... but while those guys were lighting it up in the pro races, Foss stuck around in the U23 to be able to beat kids 3 years younger than him, and in a diminished field. To me it feels like he won l'Avenir more on age difference than on talent. In the meanwhile he's been leapfrogged by Pogacar, Evenepoel, Hirschi and others. Personally i'm more impressed with Sleen than Foss. I think Foss will be a great pro, but how far exactly he can go, is hard to tell. Nevertheless, he was clearly the strongest GC rider of those still standing and more than deserved the win here.

This might become the highlight of Foss career, but it remains to be seen when he joins the ranks in Jumbo Visma. He is a bit strong built for Grand Tours. I definitely rate Leknessund as a much bigger talent than Foss, but I am impressed by the professionalism and development Foss has shown this season. It was reported he was about to give up cycling all together a year ago, but now he looks more confident than ever. Much more than being overaged I think his teammates and Sleen most of all handed the win to him perfectly.