• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 Tour de France: Who will finish on the podium below Pogačar? First rest day poll

Who will finish on the podium below Pogačar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E5dqD8gXwAcuTae

Two picks allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Carapaz is going to feel the pressure to get 2nd among that lot.

To go into the Tour off the back of winning Tour de Suisse, you get a Roglic DNF, Thomas injures himself, Porte lost time day 1 & TGH is a non-factor. He's literally gotten what he wanted day one (Ineos leadership) with one of the two Slovenians out of the equation.

He has to deliver 2nd before the TT.

Mas looked good today and he tends to get better throughout races so I think he has a good shot. Other than that Carapaz seems likely. Looking at his last two seasons he has been by far the best gc rider on that list.

I wouldn't rule out Uran either though. His last TdF podium came completely out of nowhere just when I started to think his career was on a decline too.

Carapaz is paying for his efforts on friday and yesterday. Maybe he will recover and put time on other podium contenders on Ventoux and Pyrenees.
So far Uran has been always there, slowly climbing the GC ranks. He can gain some time in the second TT (but his first wasn't stellar).
Mas will have his chances as well, hot Pyrenees close to his country should suit him better but last TT is not favourable.
Vingegaard is still young and is having a breakthrough season. He finished second at Basque Country, had a great TT and is hanging in the mountains. He is a dark horse for the podium but as an inexperienced GC rider he can have a bad day in the 3rd week.
Connor: who knows, maybe he will be able to hang on?

My prediction: Carapaz and Uran but other guys have realistic chances as well.

O'Connor should be able to survive. Finished with his competition yesterday and barely shedded time on the final climb today.

As for the other podium spot, we might see someone else sneak in like O'Connor today. Barring that, Carapaz still hasn't taken time uphill and Uran is an expert in these situations so I'd back the latter right now. Vingegaard will ship too much time somewhere to claw back in the TT. Mas will do his routine 5th place.

O'Connor should be able to survive. Finished with his competition yesterday and barely shedded time on the final climb today.

As for the other podium spot, we might see someone else sneak in like O'Connor today. Barring that, Carapaz still hasn't taken time uphill and Uran is an expert in these situations so I'd back the latter right now. Vingegaard will ship too much time somewhere to claw back in the TT. Mas will do his routine 5th place.

He's also never finished within an hour of the winner in a Grand Tour. Now he's looked better than he ever has this season, but there have been plenty of riders who had a good first week (or even two weeks) in a Grand Tour only to fade in the last week.

He's also never finished within an hour of the winner in a Grand Tour. Now he's looked better than he ever has this season, but there have been plenty of riders who had a good first week (or even two weeks) in a Grand Tour only to fade in the last week.
Most GTs these days see at least one rider make their first-ever podium - Caruso at the Giro this year and the whole podium the year before, Pogacar and Porte at the Tour, Carthy at the Vuelta. He could definitely fade but it definitely isn't a disqualifying factor, especially as his 2020 Giro third week was stellar and he would have made the top-10 at the 2018 Giro had he not crashed down Sestriere.

Most GTs these days see at least one rider make their first-ever podium - Caruso at the Giro this year and the whole podium the year before, Pogacar and Porte at the Tour, Carthy at the Vuelta. He could definitely fade but it definitely isn't a disqualifying factor, especially as his 2020 Giro third week was stellar and he would have made the top-10 at the 2018 Giro had he not crashed down Sestriere.

I agree he could definitely stay on the podium, and I very much hope he will.

My point was mostly that being good for two mountain stages is very different from being good an entire tour. And it's not exactly uncommon for riders to lose a lot of time in the last week of a Grand Tour. You're right that his crash in 2018 does distort things a bit, as that was clearly his best performance in the GC. But even before the crash his performance wasn't of the level he would need to hold off the likes of Mas, Carapaz and Uran this tour. Again, he could be better this year, and I hope he is, but I don't see these two stages as clear evidence he'll be able to last the entire Tour. If he cracks the 3 minutes he has to the other podium contenders isn't a lot of time. And depending on who is challenging him he might need a bit of a buffer going into the time trial.

I still remember people thinking that Bauke Mollema was finally coming good in the 2013 Tour and make the podium after a good showing in the first 2 mountains in 2013. He actually held on for quite a while, but ended up losing almost 8 minutes in the last 4 stages, dropping from 2nd to 6th. And there are a lot of examples like that, Voeckler lost only 1:08 to Evans (and 2: 22 to Andy Schleck) from stage 10 until stage 18 only to lose 2:25 in the last mountain stage and Alaphilippe list 1:22 to Bernal (and 28 seconds to Thomans) in the first 3 mountain stages after the time trial, only to lose 5:15 in the last two days. If the end comes it doesn't matter how well positioned O'Connor is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I went with my head and picked Carapaz and Uran, but there are still 4 stages including the TT that are likely to bring big gaps so I would not be surprised by anything. I didn't think these Alps stages were that hard on paper, but a tough Stage 7 and really bad weather changed everything.

TRENDING THREADS