• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
26, 650, 29? 26 is the first to go but I doubt 29ers will follow for big riders I think the 29 will still offer advantages over 650 but the small to medium people might prefer the smaller 650 while gaining some of the 29 advantage and not also losing the snappier acceleration of the smaller 650

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
sizing important as you say.

Perhaps it has something to do with MFG cost as well.

Maybe 26 entry level XC and Dirt jump or slope style

650B DH and all Mountain.

29er XC ???

When I pass 29er's on either my 'cross bike or my 26" mountain bike, am I doing it wrong?

I didn't like the 29er I tested. I'm a smaller guy, so the geometry compromises get a little severe with the tiny frames. I could see how taller riders would really like a 29er.

The industry needs another wheel standard to generate more sales. Most of the same people that switched to 29 will switch to 650b and believe it better. That's how the industry stays alive.

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Boeing said:
sizing important as you say.

Perhaps it has something to do with MFG cost as well.

Maybe 26 entry level XC and Dirt jump or slope style

650B DH and all Mountain.

29er XC ???

26 for DH too. Bigger wheels are pointless on bikes with 8 inches of travel.