• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

7 Spanish cyclists under investigation for doping

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Der_Gestreifte said:

Well, they could probably reduce the amount because they don't appear to have spent any money to date. How many busts actually have occured via a Spanish Federation related test? The high profile busts come from labs associated with the GT's so far and haven't cost the Spanish Feds.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Since their names were publicly released as being clients of Dr. Losa (or Dr. Virú, I always mix up those two investigations) almost a year ago and they still get to ride and win races, I damn well hope they're finally dropping the hammer on Sánchez, Moreno, Kolobnev and Maté.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
issoisso said:
Since their names were publicly released as being clients of Dr. Losa (or Dr. Virú, I always mix up those two investigations) almost a year ago and they still get to ride and win races, I damn well hope they're finally dropping the hammer on Sánchez, Moreno, Kolobnev and Maté.

which sanchez?:confused:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Der_Gestreifte said:

20% unemployment rate, 10% budget deficit last year, 5% salary cut for public employees and a public budget for 2011 that IMF doesn't believe and 14% below the main opposition party in the polls. What do you think is the place of anti-doping fight in the list of priorities of that Government?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Well, they could probably reduce the amount because they don't appear to have spent any money to date. How many busts actually have occured via a Spanish Federation related test? The high profile busts come from labs associated with the GT's so far and haven't cost the Spanish Feds.

And here's the quote that backs up their diligence:

Despite the recent news, Soler said that Spain is not above average in terms of doping positives. "The figures say that Spain is about average in positive doping cases in the world. According to the anti-doping laboratory in Madrid, in 2009 the percentage was 1.2 Spanish adverse findings, while WADA's worldwide average was 1.11, so we are just 0.09 are above this, " he said.

So everything is OK in Espana. Don't fret.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Jeeper's Spain is getting a right old whack hey. The spanish take dope for their breakfast. Barcelona Olympics 1992 Spain 13 gold 7 silver 2 bronze. Suspicious Yes. Won nothing before it or after it. It is either that or there is alot of bad cow. Cycling is gettin worse by the second. There will be alot of people joinin the dole que.

icefire said:
20% unemployment rate, 10% budget deficit last year, 5% salary cut for public employees and a public budget for 2011 that IMF doesn't believe and 14% below the main opposition party in the polls. What do you think is the place of anti-doping fight in the list of priorities of that Government?

It's a witch hunt and a waste of tax payers money.

A

Anonymous

So hang on, the spanish anti-doping budget is 150 million euros a year.

What do they spend it on?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
So hang on, the spanish anti-doping budget is 150 million euros a year.

What do they spend it on?

lets' see Real Madrid,Barcelona, fine wine, piti, vuelta, contador,probably not.

issoisso said:

Ah yeah forgot about that.

Wasn't Mancebo named in that? And Moises Dueñas named Losa i think.

Should be interesting.

Edit: Sanchez, Moreno, Mate & Mancebo + Garcia Da Pena, Mosquera, Sevilla = 7 Spanish riders (Sevilla/Fullana anyway)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Unfair jibe

Der_Gestreifte said:

That's an unfair jibe. Spain is reducing funding of almost everything. Anti-doping certainly should not be a priority when there are 4 and half million people out of work - in the end doping in cycling is not really a big social problem except within a very small society. They cut my goddamn salary last summer - they damn well better stop wasting money on anti-doping, especially since they don't do anything with it anyway.