• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

7900 chain squeaking where connecting pin used...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I installed a new 7900 chain and I can't get it stop squeaking when the connecting pin area goes through the derailleur pulleys. The link doesn't feel tight in any way and I've tried working different lubes into the area. What am I missing here?

richwagmn said:
I installed a new 7900 chain and I can't get it stop squeaking when the connecting pin area goes through the derailleur pulleys. The link doesn't feel tight in any way and I've tried working different lubes into the area. What am I missing here?

Sure it's not the pulleys/
If it IS the chain, take the link out and replace with a Wipperman snaplink.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It did turn out to the connecting pin. First off, I purchased a modern chain tool (had a really old one) then I put the chain tool on the back side and gave it a gentle turn and another small turn on the front side. Seemed to do the trick and the pin still looks well within the chain.

I'll probably do the 10 speed link. I loved my sram 9 speed quick link on my old chain.

TRENDING THREADS