• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A howler from David Walsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
An interesting interview here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-cycling-lance-armstrong-and-his-own-fan-days

I am glad that he owns up to the fact that he too was guilty of "fan with typewriter" in his early career since he seems to condemn everyone else with that label.

The interview highlights the problem with mixed standards and selective injustice and withchunts - which is the hindsight justifications for treating some well and others badly, lead to statements that would be hilarious if it was not quite so serious.

Take this - he sums in one quote about the relative sanctions for some key riders with this howler.

"The other guys didn’t test positive so of course they deserve leniency"

Wake up call Mr Walsh. Lance did not test positive either! The crime is doping, not being bad at cheating controls.

His other howler - That vital team members spoke to USADA voluntarily. Complete tosh and nonsense. Once forced to testify at the grand jury, the ones who were competing had little choice to "own up" to USADA too, knowing it was only a matter of time before leaks or hearings made it all public, so in the usual self serving way they took the way out that worked for them best - the sweetheart deal. They confessed as little as possible as late as possible long after most of it was in the public domain anyway.

I am all for clemency for those who confess before they are forced by circumstance - indeed - if it can be reasonably stated that they would not have been discovered imminently,A pardon might be justifiable as part of truth and reconciliation (no different from a winter ban) to get them to come forward volunatarily from all the other teams who were doing exactly the same or similar..
But I do not see that in the cases in which it has so far been applied.

Notice Hamilton - the main informant - has not had his sanctions reduced for his efforts.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
There's hooks in the water captain! Steady now! We'll catch thems fishes we will!

Should anyone seriously consider addressing the points raised by the OP, remember that they have been addressed thousands of times to this same person over the years. There is really no need to discuss this with him. If there are no other posts, this thread will quickly run to the bottom and disappear from the front page like it deserves.

I make this request in the spirit of the holidays. Do it for the kids. Do it for Christmas.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Should anyone seriously consider addressing the points raised by the OP, remember that they have been addressed thousands of times to this same person over the years.

Hardly. First I have not been on this or any other cycling forum till recent months. Second the events to which this relates are a couple of months old. The quote I refer is contemporaneous So has not been addressed at all.

I have told you a million times, you exaggerate.

for sure

mountainrman said:
I have told you a million times, you exaggerate.

sure it was not a zillion times?..........gotta be accurate ....all those

doubters exaggerating

david walsh is a journalist/ writer entitled to state his opinion.............

as you are on this forum..............................and other members

are free to call your posts for the bs that it is

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
GotDropped said:
Hamilton's sancions have nothing to do with the USPS case. He was positive for blood doping with Phonak then for some antidepressant.

Is true - but Tygart could easily have recommended reduction of sanction accoordingly from 8? years down to four, or whatever it is - indeed USADA appears to think (unlike UCI) they have the final say - where UCI appear to want the right to ratify or otherwise. Cleaning up that jurisdictional mess has to be a goal for any new credible system

One problem is cycling justice is (mainly) acting out the statement of Walsh that those who do not fail tests get treated more leniently. Those who were sanctioned under the process clearly doped as much as Hamilton, they just did not get caught by doping tests, so get 6 months rather than hamiltons 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS