• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

a humble request - can threads be limited to under 100 replies?

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a humble request. is it possible to limit a thread to a reasonable length....say 100 replies? I just cant follow these huge threads that have 100's of replies. i just don't have the time or the brain power to keep up.
thank you for your time.
feel free to delete this post.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Dimtick said:
I have a humble request. is it possible to limit a thread to a reasonable length....say 100 replies? I just cant follow these huge threads that have 100's of replies. i just don't have the time or the brain power to keep up.
thank you for your time.

The problem is that if we would do that we would have double the amount of threads and therefore these threads would be even more difficult to follow

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth do we need a limit on yet another thing in our lives? What purpose could a limit on replies serve? I agree with Dimtick feel free to delete this thread. Absolutely useless

Ferminal said:
100 posts? That's only 2.5 pages.

Lots' of forums do make new threads after a certain number of posts, but a number around 1000 would be much more reasonable.

At 100 posts per thread we would have needed 14 seperate threads just for "Giro d italia stage 15".

Another 12 or so "Giro d italia stage 19" threads, "Giro d italia stage 12" threads and "Giro d italia stage 7" threads.

More to the point, imagine the following

"Official Lance Armstrong 2010 thread #64"

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Huh?

1 x 600 = 600

2 x 300 = 600

3 x 200 = 600

4 x 150 = 600

5 x 120 = 600

6 x 100 = 600

What does it matter? One thread with a million replies or a million threads with one reply. Still the same amount to keep up with if you choose to keep up.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Imagine how many separate threads we would have needed for the "Babes on Bikes" thread that is still banging away, at well over 1 MILLION hits???:D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Other forums sometimes create new threads after a number of pages (100/200/...), but that's rather for technological reasons. Some servers have difficulties with large threads.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Dimtick said:
thank you for your time.

There's plenty of people here with limited brain capacity but they seem to cope but I'd be lying if I said I read every word of some of the longer threads.. I dont think its possible without going mad.

Skip through the trash and find the interesting stuff. Try to recognize posters that don't post so much BS as others etc etc.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
just to explain a little of my thinking.....
In the few longer threads that I've tried to follow, the replies rarely stay on topic and you get these long "sidebars" that go on. Becuase these seperate conversations have no relevence to the original subject, these should be a new thread. I honestly think that you'd be amazed at how much the threads would trim down if the new topics had their own threads. obviously there would be a lot more threads but it would also be much more useful because people could focus in on the topics that interest them.

the other thing is there is a lot of people that are just plain nasty to each other. if all that venom could be kept off the boards i think you'd see a noticable difference in thread length.

A

Anonymous

silly idea. thats only two pages or so on the settings i have. Theres enough problems round here at the moment with the early season start a fresh thread competition in full swing without adding more problems.

On that note, the mods really need to start kicking the arses of people who start either a) threads that serve no purpose reporting news that is of little intrest, and b) threads that duplicate or compliment information in existing threads.

Some people around here just like seeing their name on the thread created by section.

ive posted nearly 4,000 times on this account and started maybe 20 threads and most of those were polls. Some peoples ratio must be running at about 20-30%

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
you want an interesting ratio? try my ratio of threads started to threads deleted! :)

Seriously though, the only outcome of limiting the post count in a thread on a topic will be a plethora of other threads on the same topic. Remember that when a thread stops getting posts it will drop off the front page and when that happens, the new thread starter (who NEVER checks for the existence of other topics before posting) will just start a new one.

Net result is that the same 20 topics will keep getting recreated and re-argued by the same people smacking down the new members that wanted to go around again.

The advantage of the mega thread is that if the topic has any value it will still be on the first page or so and therefor limit the number of recreates.

(I agree that we need to do more about some of the multi-thread nutcases here - we ARE trying to take care of them. Just have a look at the efforts that Francois has made in the clinic!) :D

i am a member at a forum dedicated to manga( japanese comics) and each series of manga has its own section where people discuss chapters and characters and stuff. and there is a limit of 200 posts per thread. so every time a thread hits roughly 200 posts a new one is created to discuss the same thing.

this is the thread tittle for the most discussed character in the entire forum:Go to first new post [Character] Uchiha Sasuke (Part 200)

and that part has currently 154 posts so close to part 201. thats a total of 200*200= 40k posts discussing sasuke lol.

would you really want 200 different threads discussing mr. armstrong?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I don't see the point. Just stop reading. It's supposed to be a forum where people can air their opinions.

do what I do. read the OP and post the first thing that comes to mind and never read another post