• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A novel idea!

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just musing to myself when this thought popped into my head.

How about we make bring back the Elite Amatuer Worlds, we slap life bans on any Elite amatuer possitive tests and so avoid the legal difficulty of doing that to pro athlete`s.
We let the pro`s do what they like...after all there "entertainers" first eh?
Perhaps within a decade they`d clean there act up by the necesity of zero credibility?

"I can dream cant I?" George Carlin ;)

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:

How about we make bring back the Elite Amatuer Worlds, we slap life bans on any Elite amatuer possitive tests and so avoid the legal difficulty of doing that to pro athlete`s.
Perhaps within a decade they`d clean there act up by the necesity of zero credibility?

The only problem with your logic - other than it's absurdly stupid - is "we" don't have any authority to do that. So what's the point of this thread?

Take your little fantasy land discussion somewhere else.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:

i get what you are saying but money is what attracts riders into the pro ranks and obviously the desire to ride at the highest level.

There needs to be a willingness by all to admit that the pros are 'globetrotters' type entertainers rather the hard riding athletes and i dont think you'll find 1 pro or team mechanic, ds etc to admit that.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The only problem with your logic - other than it's absurdly stupid - is "we" don't have any authority to do that. So what's the point of this thread?

Ignore him Dazz, I certainly will.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking like "summary execution" as a deterrent. I mean, just imagine that - Contador gets marched off into a paddock and executed into a pre-dug ditch Khmer Rouge style for his positive. How many riders would risk it after thet? What the hells wrong with this idea?

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:

I can see exactly where you're coming from, a neat idea.. if only..

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

"The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.”

Albert Einstein ;)

Oh..the "we". Correct me if im wrong but National Federations are mandated by the membership.
Though the road to geting a mandate through can be a long , protracted battle ( as in real world politics) It remains a truism that the mass of members can excersise the power to change.
Enough Federations representaives on the UCI executive get mandated on changes and change must happen.
Thats the process.;)

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. A very small number of voters controls most national federations (less than 50 in Canada), and a very small number of voters (under 200)controls UCI elections.

Problem is the money is with a small number of dopers, who have strong influence, their results earning the grants from governments and sponsors that most federations depend on. As we've seen, most feds have had a hard time killing their golden geese.

No question that a good old fashioned political campaign to line up the votes could push the UCU direction elsewhere. Just need to find someone to run, and someone who goes to those meetings that isn't already up to their neck in doping.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
sars1981 said:
I was thinking like "summary execution" as a deterrent. I mean, just imagine that - Contador gets marched off into a paddock and executed into a pre-dug ditch Khmer Rouge style for his positive. How many riders would risk it after thet? What the hells wrong with this idea?

WADA was planning on doing that but those dang "Everyone Gets a Second Chance" people had to ruin it all!:D

TRENDING THREADS