Academic papers (Links)

Aug 5, 2014
171
0
0
Just an idea for a thread, if it's no need for it just delete it or let it disappear like EPO in a cyclists blood.

The idea is to collect all the academic papers in one place so it's easy to find. This I found when reading up on Zorzoli and the finnish skiers in Lahti 2001 (not in the article however).

For instance, I found this article 'rapid hemodilution induces by desmopressin after erythropoetin administrations i humans'. http://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/j ... -Gomar.pdf

It's from 2011 and perhaps very old, but it's about masking agents and just 1,5 litres of water. Yay, clean cycling. But again, if it's an unnecessary thread, let it go away like (insert Armstrong dropping Ullrich- joke here).

Pat

The WADA resources list is always potentially interesting:

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/resources/search?f[0]=field_topic%3A104

As is the list of research projects that they are funding:

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/what-we-do/ ... l/research

Dave.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Personally I think a thread with links to relevant studies that are downloadable for free is a brilliant idea.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Re: Academic papers

Dr.ugs said:
Just an idea for a thread, if it's no need for it just delete it or let it disappear like EPO in a cyclists blood.

The idea is to collect all the academic papers in one place so it's easy to find. This I found when reading up on Zorzoli and the finnish skiers in Lahti 2001 (not in the article however).

For instance, I found this article 'rapid hemodilution induces by desmopressin after erythropoetin administrations i humans'. http://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/j ... -Gomar.pdf

It's from 2011 and perhaps very old, but it's about masking agents and just 1,5 litres of water. Yay, clean cycling. But again, if it's an unnecessary thread, let it go away like (insert Armstrong dropping Ullrich- joke here).

Pat
The study you linked sounds suss - you can hemodilute using water without buying and consuming some product they are trying to sell hah!
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
and the academics who are concerned about the sociology dynamic

hoberman yesalis mazanov hardie catlin
 
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Personally I think a thread with links to relevant studies that are downloadable for free is a brilliant idea.
That's the rub though. Many of them are not available for free, even if open access publishing is becoming more widespread.

I could only see it working if it basically acted as a document store so people could easily reference them or go back and find them, but invariably it'll get filled with discussion and become just as hard to find anything in as any of the other threads...
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Personally I think a thread with links to relevant studies that are downloadable for free is a brilliant idea.
That's the rub though. Many of them are not available for free, even if open access publishing is becoming more widespread.

I could only see it working if it basically acted as a document store so people could easily reference them or go back and find them, but invariably it'll get filled with discussion and become just as hard to find anything in as any of the other threads...
You need more happy juice, clearly. :p
 
Re: Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
King Boonen said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Personally I think a thread with links to relevant studies that are downloadable for free is a brilliant idea.
That's the rub though. Many of them are not available for free, even if open access publishing is becoming more widespread.

I could only see it working if it basically acted as a document store so people could easily reference them or go back and find them, but invariably it'll get filled with discussion and become just as hard to find anything in as any of the other threads...
You need more happy juice, clearly. :p
Hahaha, no doubt. I'm sure there are people on the forum who are willing to pass the odd paper on too. It's a good idea, but probably needs more library work than any of the mods have time for to keep it useable.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Re:

Dr.ugs said:
OP? Me? To what shall I edit my post, sir?
Yeah as people add links to downloadable content, you may be able to edit your first post to update it with new links so we have a single source to look at. Not sure if editing lasts that long though.
 
Aug 5, 2014
171
0
0
Alright, didn't know where else to post this, but it's an abstract from a medical article about blood transfusions and EPO and the years it entered the medical world. They call 1986- 88 the "trial era" and 1989- 92 "the wide clinical avaliability of EPO". That settles perhaps two questions* questions and raises quite a few.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8573839

edited* It perhaps only settles one question, that one of when EPO became available to the medical world. It perhaps answers the question of when EPO entered "sports".
 
Aug 5, 2014
171
0
0
Alright. Had a good day here browsing the internet in my quest to slam down on the swedish ski team from 1988- 1993, or so.

I found a study from 1987 about how to detect autologous blood doping and apparently it was pretty successful if I'm reading the study correctly. Is this study well known?
I like the fact that it's tested on Swedish skiers and the rest is as Jan Ulrich put it.

http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/R068.pdf
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
Re:

Dr.ugs said:
Alright. Had a good day here browsing the internet in my quest to slam down on the swedish ski team from 1988- 1993, or so.

I found a study from 1987 about how to detect autologous blood doping and apparently it was pretty successful if I'm reading the study correctly. Is this study well known?
I like the fact that it's tested on Swedish skiers and the rest is as Jan Ulrich put it.

http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/R068.pdf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow
Damn dude good find. Only read the abstract but it sounds good? Catch 50% at least. Tests have to be accredited, and back then EPO was more popular as it was safer.
 
Jul 11, 2013
3,340
0
0
I'am no expert but i thought blood doping was ----no IS very hard to detect esp when i minor doses?

Then it turns out that in 1988 there was a method for 50% detection in a two-week span?

What happened since..Were they wrong in their assumptions? Or is it down to proof beyond doubt etc?
 
Aug 5, 2014
171
0
0
Yeah..
Also, from what I understand of the article is that it's not even synthetic EPO they´re talking about, it's the bodies own EPO. This is a long time ago.

Edit; Found the second part of the study as well but it's more of performance and blood doping.
http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/R069.pdf
What's interesting about the study is that a small amount of HB increase leads to a, in elite level terms, dramatic performance gain.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS