Adrien Costa is the next Greg Lemond

Jan 8, 2013
393
0
4,280
This guy is doing amazing. Here I am looking at Bernal as the next up and coming but Adrien Costa is already here!. Wow, the guy can TT, the guy can climb, the guy can descend, he can do cobbles, an american with french parents.
He JUST TURNED 19, already won Tour de Bretagne, did AMAZING in Utah, dropping Atapuma on a descend while staying with the climbers (Talansky, Atapuma, Acevedo) in the big climbs, taking the climbers and young riders jersey.
Finally a promising american GC (sorry TJ, Talansky, etc..). He may not be at Phinney's level at TT but then again he was already the US Junior camp in 2014 AND 2nd in the junior world TT in 2014 and 2015.

He is tall at 6' and he may still get taller. Exciting to see him up there in a few years.

Ettix-QuickStep is an amazing scouting team. They got Gaviria, they will have Costa as a stagiarie this year and they may get Bernal (Colombia didn't have the support necessary for Tour D'Avenir so conveniently Ettix-Quickstep let them borrow their car. Laying the seed).
 
Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.
 
Jan 8, 2013
393
0
4,280
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.
let me rephrase that, they are doing an amazing job at getting to up and coming riders before all other teams and getting them to come aboard even if it is stagiares. Most teams may know their talents, but they are closing the deal faster than the others. Bernal was known in the mountain bike world. He is relatively new to road. The only concern I have for Bernal with his late entry into the road is the history with some colombians doing that, specifically Mauricio Soler paying the price for going to road cycling without the proper skills. Bernal (and Adrien Costa in this thread) both have committed to staying in pro-continental level for a bit. Then again, Hugh Carthy had said the same and now he is going to Cannondale-Drapac, although you can argue that Cannondale is a pro-contintental level team
 
Feb 20, 2016
206
0
0
I sure hope he stays in cycling, and don't become an eurosport expert.

(Very) Promising sure, but many have been that without really hitting it.
 
Sep 29, 2013
152
0
0
It´s too soon to make a ideia. But in fact i´ve watch him in the last weeks and he looks superb to 19 years. But until he gets the world tour it´s too soon.
 
Mar 31, 2010
16,174
0
0
gospina said:
This guy is doing amazing. Here I am looking at Bernal as the next up and coming but Adrien Costa is already here!. Wow, the guy can TT, the guy can climb, the guy can descend, he can do cobbles, an american with french parents.
He JUST TURNED 19, already won Tour de Bretagne, did AMAZING in Utah, dropping Atapuma on a descend while staying with the climbers (Talansky, Atapuma, Acevedo) in the big climbs, taking the climbers and young riders jersey.
Finally a promising american GC (sorry TJ, Talansky, etc..). He may not be at Phinney's level at TT but then again he was already the US Junior camp in 2014 AND 2nd in the junior world TT in 2014 and 2015.

He is tall at 6' and he may still get taller. Exciting to see him up there in a few years.

Ettix-QuickStep is an amazing scouting team. They got Gaviria, they will have Costa as a stagiarie this year and they may get Bernal (Colombia didn't have the support necessary for Tour D'Avenir so conveniently Ettix-Quickstep let them borrow their car. Laying the seed).
this happens with colombian team all the time. acqua and sapone used to do this without getting any riders
 
Re: Re:

gospina said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Gaviria's and Costa's talents were obvious to everyone, there's no big effort needed in "scouting" them. Bernal is another case, but here the credit's due for Gianni Savio for signing a guy I've never heard of before this season.
let me rephrase that, they are doing an amazing job at getting to up and coming riders before all other teams and getting them to come aboard even if it is stagiares. Most teams may know their talents, but they are closing the deal faster than the others. Bernal was known in the mountain bike world. He is relatively new to road. The only concern I have for Bernal with his late entry into the road is the history with some colombians doing that, specifically Mauricio Soler paying the price for going to road cycling without the proper skills. Bernal (and Adrien Costa in this thread) both have committed to staying in pro-continental level for a bit. Then again, Hugh Carthy had said the same and now he is going to Cannondale-Drapac, although you can argue that Cannondale is a pro-contintental level team
Carthy has already ridden two years at a PC level. Also Costa rides for a continental team.
 
Why do up-and-coming riders have to be The Next [insert rider here]? Let them be themselves. I hardly think being compared to some big name of the past is gonna do wonders for their developments. Some shoes are pretty big to fill. :p
 
121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

Almost last today, why is he riding this after giving it all in Utah en in the Tour de l'Avenir? Isn't this a bit to much for a 19y old?
 
Re:

Samamba said:
121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

Almost last today, why is he riding this after giving it all in Utah en in the Tour de l'Avenir? Isn't this a bit to much for a 19y old?

He crashed today, thats why he has lost so much time.
 
Re: Re:

Wallenquist said:
Samamba said:
121 COSTA Adrien Etixx - Quick Step 23:21

Almost last today, why is he riding this after giving it all in Utah en in the Tour de l'Avenir? Isn't this a bit to much for a 19y old?

He crashed today, thats why he has lost so much time.
Ok, that explains a lot, but still... Thats 24 (really hard) racedays in just over a month...
 
For the people who want to follow him this year...

He'll do Circuit des Ardennes (starts tomorrow, interesting parcours and some lower level pro riders at the start), L-B-L (without pressure, not as teamleader) and Tour de Bretagne, but his big goals will come later this year with the Ronde de l'Isard (instead of California), Giro u23, Tour of Utah and the Tour de l'Avenir obv.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lequack Professional road racing 198

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts