• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.


Advice on seat clusters

I am trying to build a bike which is reminiscent of those in the late 60s and early 70s. I was not able to find quite the right frame second hand, so eventually I had one custom built. I saw the frame for the first time the other day and, in my mind, the seat cluster (ie where the seat tube joins the top tube and the seat stays) is too contemporary because the seat stays join the seat tube an inch or two below the top tube, rather than at the same place as the top tube. The guy who built the frame insists that this was common, but I have spent a bit of time searching for photos of bikes from the era which have this sort of seat cluster and cannot find a single one. Any thoughts?
Thanks thollandpe, you are spot on. The Brampton Victor style seems to be less common than the style I'm used to seeing, but now that you've pointed me in the right direction I can see that Raleigh and others certainly did use it in that era.