• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All the necessary accessoris for a bike

Uptoyou

BANNED
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
My parents bought a bike as a gift for my birthday. Now i'm looking for the necessary accessories and decoration accessories for my bike.
First, i think i need a bell, i've found one that i'm quite interesed, check this:
I also plan to buy these small lamps which was recommended by someone:
Are there other accessories necessary or interesting for my bike?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The most obvious accessory would be a helmet. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, just buy it from a bike shop, not Wal-Mart. If you plan to ride at night, you should get a decent head and tail light. The ones you link to will help you be seen from the side, but it's at least as important that cars overtaking from behind and approaching from the front see you. The last thing would be a good quality lock if you plan to leave it anywhere outside.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Lose the bell and reflectors/lights obviously. Don't worry about a helmet, they're overrated-- a Mapei team issue cap will do just fine. Get some 21mm tires and a single speed 56 tooth chainring up front-- if you can't turn that over on all terrain you shouldn't be riding a bike.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
funnytanlines said:
basic tool kit: a couple of spare tubes, a patch kit, tire levers, a mini tool for minor repairs and adjustments and maybe a water bottle and cage.

You forgot mini-pump and or C02 inflator.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Tell your parents that you can't possibly ride the bike without a set of lightweight carbon wheels that cost at least £1,000.

If they refuse, you should threaten to shave your legs. That usually does the trick.....

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm also new to riding and i'm keen to buy shoes and pedals for my road bike.
Do i need to have the same shoe brand as my pedals how do they work? Does any shoe click into any pedal?
cheers

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Freddo said:
Hi guys,
I'm also new to riding and i'm keen to buy shoes and pedals for my road bike.
Do i need to have the same shoe brand as my pedals how do they work? Does any shoe click into any pedal?
cheers

No.

The first option is mountain bike pedals and shoes.

This may sound silly, but for casual riding and touring they can be a good option as MTB cleats (and the matching pedals) are designed in such a way that you can walk on them easily.

However, they are less comfortable on really long rides, and give you less clearance when cornering (important for racing, makes SFA difference for general riding).

Then there's road pedals. There are several different systems but the shoes are all the same. You just screw in the appropriate plastic cleats (supplied initially with the pedals) into your shoe, adjust them to the right position, and you're good to go. However, this means that you have to have the same pedal system on the bikes you wish to ride.

Road cleats protrude from the bottom of the shoe, so they're not very comfortable to walk in (and you'll wear the cleats out quickly if you walk very far in them).

Pedal systems include Shimano SPD-SL, Look Keo, Time, Speedplay, amongst others. I ended up with Looks purely because that's what my local bike shop had in stock, and have had no reason to switch thus far. But there are plenty of riders I know using the different systems, and are happy with them. Speedplay does have the advantage of infinitely adjustable "float" (the amount of horizontal rotation permitted before you clip out), but they have a bit of a reputation for fragility.

Like most bike gear, you can pay huge amounts of money for high-end pedals, but frankly unless you're racing, don't bother (and possibly don't bother even then). You're paying for a few grams less weight and bling factor.

More important, get a pair of shoes that fit you, and feel comfortable, and get the cleats in the right position! At the very least, get the guy at the bike shop to help adjust them for you. It may, if you're riding a lot or can't get comfortable, be worth paying extra for a professional bike fit, which will include adjusting the cleats to the right position for you. Tiny adjustments can make a huge difference.

Hope this helps.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Don't worry about a helmet, they're overrated--

Are You Kidding? Don't list to all the inane nonsense You hear about wearing helmet's. Any one how doesn't, is not fully aware of the consequences an impact to the skull makes. Your own safety is paramount when cycling a bike and that starts with wearing a helmet. The message is never ride a bike without wearing Your Helmet.

Fabio Casartelli ( which I am sure most of You are aware of ) (August 16, 1970, Como – July 18, 1995) was an Italian cyclist and an Olympic gold medalist, who died in a crash on the descent of the Col de Portet d'Aspet, France, during the 15th stage of the 1995 Tour de France.

If he was wearing a helmet. It may have saved his life.

The following image is graphic:

tumblr_l5t3c4iKf31qzyjg7o1_500.jpg

Fabio Casartelli - Born August 16th 1970 - Died July 18th 1995 - Aged 24.
MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Are You Kidding? Don't listen to all the inane nonsense You hear about wearing helmet's. Any one how doesn't, is not fully aware of the consequences an impact to the skull makes. Your own safety is paramount when cycling a bike and that starts with wearing a helmet. The message is never ride a bike without wearing Your Helmet.

Fabio Casartelli ( which I am sure most of You are aware of ) (August 16, 1970, Como – July 18, 1995) was an Italian cyclist and an Olympic gold medalist, who died in a crash on the descent of the Col de Portet d'Aspet, France, during the 15th stage of the 1995 Tour de France.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Lose the bell and reflectors/lights obviously. Don't worry about a helmet, they're overrated-- a Mapei team issue cap will do just fine. Get some 21mm tires and a single speed 56 tooth chainring up front-- if you can't turn that over on all terrain you shouldn't be riding a bike.

Are You Kidding? Don't listen to all the inane nonsense You hear about wearing helmet's. Any one who doesn't wear one, is not fully aware of the consequences an impact to the skull can cause. Your own safety is paramount when cycling a bike and that starts with wearing a helmet. The message is never ride a bike without wearing Your Helmet.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:

No fare picking on the new guy. If you can't be helpful, stay home. I think it is great he is getting into cycling. Helmet is a must. I find gloves a must. Bell, whatever to me, lights can be important when it starts to get dark.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The Devil said:

Are You Kidding? Don't listen to all the inane nonsense You hear about wearing helmet's. Any one who doesn't wear one, is not fully aware of the consequences an impact to the skull can cause. Your own safety is paramount when cycling a bike and that starts with wearing a helmet. The message is never ride a bike without wearing Your Helmet.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

Very tragic, but this has been debated over and over ever since it happened. Fact is his injury was not anywhere on his head where a helmet would've "maybe" saved his life. He smashed in the side of his face in on one of those concrete pylons at over 80kph.

People who advocate not wearing helmets are just as annoying as the ones who want to impose some kind of sharia law on wearing them. Both sound fanatical IMHO.