• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Am I going to need new handlebars?

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
To cut a long story short, my handlebars currently look like this:

Will the shop be able to bend the right one back out or do you think I'll be up for all new ones?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
NickBVK said:
To cut a long story short, my handlebars currently look like this:

Will the shop be able to bend the right one back out or do you think I'll be up for all new ones?

Why don't you unwrap the bar tape to see what's going on?

Dude, I think your bars look fine, though it's a little hard to tell even from the full size image at imageshack. But it looks to me like your right brake hood is bent, not the bars. Do the right brake and shifters work properly? If the strap that holds the hood on the bars is the only thing damaged you might be able to bend it back. I'd take it to a good local mechanic, who will be able to see things not seen in the photo, for advice.

But if the bars (Giant Connect, right?... which are aluminim alloy) are also bent, it depends on how badly they are bent. Aluminum does not take bending as well as some other metals, and aluminum is weakened once bent. Again, I'd seek the advice of the mech.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My brother had the same after a crash... just take the hood of and you will see you can just bend it back... go to a mechanic if the shifters or brakes arent working as they should though...

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
take a 5mm alen key under the rubber slack the holding nut off and move it back to the correct line then test the shifting.

You may have to tune the rear mech slightly .

wont cost any money it will take 5 mins.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
It would appear from the image that Your Handlebars are not bent. Your Handle Bars are Giant Connect made from 6061 Aluminium Alloy. The Sti shifters appear to be Shimano Tiagra? It looks like the shifter took the brunt of the impact and moved inwards. You will need to remove the handlebar tape, and inspect for any
damage done to the handle bars. That Sti shifter will also have to be inspected for damage. It would seem from the image that it is only a simple matter of removing Your Handlebar tape and undoing the 5 mm allen key bolt holding Your Sti shifter in place, and then returning it to its original position. Then re-wrap Your handle bar. But check for any damage. I would recommend replacing Your Handle bars if the are in any way damaged or bent. They may be weakened which could result in failure.

Here is a link from shimano tech docs:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...ST-4500/SI_6LP0A_En_v1_m56577569830607086.pdf

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
It would appear from the image that Your Handlebars are not bent. Your Handle Bars are Giant Connect made from 6061 Aluminium Alloy. The Sti shifters appear to be Shimano Tiagra? It looks like the shifter took the brunt of the impact and moved inwards. You will need to remove the handlebar tape, and inspect for any
damage done to the handle bars. That Sti shifter will also have to be inspected for damage. It would seem from the image that it is only a simple matter of removing Your Handlebar tape and undoing the 5 mm allen key bolt holding Your Sti shifter in place, and then returning it to its original position. Then re-wrap Your handle bar. But check for any damage. I would recommend replacing Your Handle bars if the are in any way damaged or bent. They may be weakened which could result in failure.

Here is a link from shimano tech docs:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...ST-4500/SI_6LP0A_En_v1_m56577569830607086.pdf

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the posts guys, am new to owning/maintaining my own bike.

Was just the levers and I've put them back in place no dramas, bars completely fine.

Thanks again, def saved me $$ trip to the mech.