• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amsterhammer (George Levine) has passed away

Hi everyone - as my username suggests, I'm George's son.

I wanted to reach those who knew him through the site and let you all know that he passed away today, in hospital in Amsterdam. He had battled cancer the last year or so.

He enjoyed this site very much over the years and introduced me to it.

I mostly have stayed on the cycling side of the forum, so I was surprised to see the top two posts here were ones he started. I guess he leaves a little bit of himself here with those. He certainly did love talking politics and music!

My deepest and most heartfelt condolences. Any difficulties your Father faced over the past months will not haved diminished what I'm sure was a life well lived.
I wonder if there are any other parent/off-spring tandems on this forum? I imagine George was proud that you followed in his footsteps ... but now you have big boots to fill, I guess.
I'm sure over the next days and weeks many will share their favourite memories of discussions and interactions they had with your Father. Hopefully some will bring a smile to your face.
I couldn't find it just now but I remember him posting a picture with his guitar hero.

Last edited:
I knew he was one of the (relatively few, I think) members of this forum who was from my generation, more or less, so when I noticed he hadn't posted in a while, I thought he might be having health problems.

Yes, he loved to discuss politics, and he also posted a lot in the NFL thread, as I recall. In this Trump era, many of us will miss him more than ever.

Very sad news indeed, RIP Amsterhammer.
He will be missed, I knew him from here and he was an early poster on VR when that was started but as a fellow Hammer I remember when he was a regular poster on KUMB which is a West Ham site.
Another one from my generation gone, RIP George

Hi everyone - as my username suggests, I'm George's son.

I wanted to reach those who knew him through the site and let you all know that he passed away today, in hospital in Amsterdam. He had battled cancer the last year or so.

He enjoyed this site very much over the years and introduced me to it.

I mostly have stayed on the cycling side of the forum, so I was surprised to see the top two posts here were ones he started. I guess he leaves a little bit of himself here with those. He certainly did love talking politics and music!
Sad to hear your father has passed. Peace to you and the family! I will remember him today especially, February 2 2020, the day of the Superbowl, because I often interacted with him in this forum's NFL thread. He spoke once of as son who lived in the Midwest America somewhere. So wherever you and family are, blessings to you all.

That’s a bummer, I’m very sorry for your loss, your dad was obviously very well known on these boards and we will certainly feel his loss for a very long time. Anyone who’s been around here for any amount of time has read his comments, and opinions and whether they agreed with him or not, he was well respected. I will surely remember amsterhammer (GEORGE) as one of the original “characters” that helped build this place by posting lots of colorful, insightful, intelligent and interesting comments. His contributions to the forum will always be here for his family members to read and be remembered by.
RIP Amsterhammer.

TRENDING THREADS