• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ancient cycling law that prevents riding routes beforehand

Following on from the gearing thread, Ive noticed during every major GT, you see comments, we havent ridden the climb before, rode the TT Course.

I dont live in Europe so, not sure why this is happening.

I realise weather can be an issue, but arnt these routes anouced 6 months in advance?

Hugh

Part of the promoters job is to accurately classify the climbs. The race bible is supposed to be accurate and after a while everyone knows what a 10KM cat 3 climb 60KM into a stage (as an example) will do to a peloton.

Remember that the race calendar is long and full. A couple of days to scout a route can be very disruptive.

Other routes aren't seen as critical. And they aren't unless there's some kind of act of god to inject some chaos.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but you'd think - for a team leader for a GT, whose entire season is structured around success at one event - that it'd be worthwhile scouting at least the TT course and the key MTF stage finish if you'd never ridden it before, particularly when it's one as unusual as Angliru.

I guess traffic is a problem. I don't know how much you can gain from looking at a route if you can't ride it full speed because of other vehicles on the road and cross traffic, especially when it's in a urban area.

I agree that if I were a pro I would definitely look at the TT regardless, just to get comfortable with the surroundings, but I guess others see it as a waste of time.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Many teams and riders do pre-ride the most important stages. It is an individual decision on how best to prepare for a race.

Susan

Clearly deciding not to scout the course worked for the Schlecks this year :cool:

I agree with Hugh ..... preperation is key ...... even numpties like me pre ride the casual rides like the TDU Challenge etc.
:p

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The Schlecks scouted the tour crucial stages this year. Watched it in a documentary on Danish TV. It had clips of them scouting in May or something like that.

Documentary (1h) is here, but it might be georestricted. Scouting around 54 min mark. http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/dokumentar/andyschleck/

He is actually scouting the descents.

The documentary is mostly in English with Danish subtitles. It focuses on the preparation to the tour by Andy Schleck.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
The Schlecks scouted the tour crucial stages this year. Watched it in a documentary on Danish TV. It had clips of them scouting in May or something like that.

Documentary (1h) is here, but it might be georestricted. Scouting around 54 min mark. http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/dokumentar/andyschleck/

He is actually scouting the descents.

The documentary is mostly in English with Danish subtitles. It focuses on the preparation to the tour by Andy Schleck.

But he didnt scout out the time trial, at all. And thats where he lost the race.

Sum_of_Marc said:
But he didnt scout out the time trial, at all. And thats where he lost the race.
No, that's where he lost the most time, but that loss of time was to be expected (Evans was so good Andy would have needed to be, what, top-3? Top-5? Not going to happen). Andy lost the race the same way he lost it last year - by thinking he could win it with a single attack and letting all other opportunities slip by.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sum_of_Marc said:

Sure? I know he didn't want to train on the TT bike during the season but can't remember if they were that stupid not to scout the last 30 km of the Tour. Seems unlikely not to.

Thomsena said:
Sure? I know he didn't want to train on the TT bike during the season but can't remember if they were that stupid not to scout the last 30 km of the Tour. Seems unlikely not to.

He had the choice of riding the Tour de Swiss or the Dauphine, which had a ITT on the same course as the upcoming Tour ITT. He or he and his team decided he should ride the Tour de Swiss.

hughmoore said:
Following on from the gearing thread, Ive noticed during every major GT, you see comments, we havent ridden the climb before, rode the TT Course.

I dont live in Europe so, not sure why this is happening.

I realise weather can be an issue, but arnt these routes anouced 6 months in advance?
It's the Vuelta. Not important enough, for most teams. Most Tour contenders have done at least some form of recon.

theyoungest said:
It's the Vuelta. Not important enough, for most teams. Most Tour contenders have done at least some form of recon.

Would have thought it was important for Geox. From what he said, Cobo didn't seem to know the Pena Cabarga and he's from Cantabria:confused: Still, hasn't done him much harm.

TRENDING THREADS