• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Poster Boy

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2011 Tour probably the cleaner

You don't demonstrate anything with these 2011 tour statistics ...
Contador and Rolland improved their results, Peraud fell last year en route to a top 10, Basso was Nib's domestique in 2012 + age. Cadel doubled with the Giro last year + age. Sanchez probably got too old too.
Plus from a logical point of view you could say the other way around that the top 10 contenders in 2011 were clean and in 2013 the speeds were up and the dirtier ones reigned (more likely in my opinion).

Andy was probably juiced until 2011 but probably not anymore (...although he was was much much better during last year's Tour) so he doesn't deserve much interest in the clinic

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
i find it very sad that any rider that now under performs from say 2 years ago is automatically bad because he is now off a doping program , also the same for riders now that are winning they are automatically tarnished with the "oh well hes still on the PEDs but they just cant prove it "

this is what cycling has become im afraid , as much as i love the sport it will never be looked at as a clean sport ever again . riders will always be under suspicion . somewhere along the line it will all explode again im sure of it , something new will arise in the PED industry that will go undetected for a few years and then bang it will happen again .

we all know its gonna happen its just a matter of when .

shades1 said:
i find it very sad that any rider that now under performs from say 2 years ago is automatically bad because he is now off a doping program , also the same for riders now that are winning they are automatically tarnished with the "oh well hes still on the PEDs but they just cant prove it "

this is what cycling has become im afraid , as much as i love the sport it will never be looked at as a clean sport ever again . riders will always be under suspicion . somewhere along the line it will all explode again im sure of it , something new will arise in the PED industry that will go undetected for a few years and then bang it will happen again .

There's definitely truth in what you're saying, but I like cycling in spite of the mess. I love riding my self, you can't capture the same experience on foot or in a car or in any other mode of transportation. The feeling is incredible(even though its painful :) ) - it's my favorite exercise, past time, ect.

I like watching cycling mainly because I enjoy it some much personally. I love the tactics, the technique it requires, and the fitness the riders have to have to reach the levels they do. I'm not naive....I know that there are still dopers(probably some of my favorite riders.) But I either have to look past it(not denying it) or not watch the sport entirely. It still annoys me, I still critique, but I enjoy cycling, and I like watching the sport.

The entire sport industry is dirty(I think we are the hardest on doping than any other sport), so we either deal with it(and try to clean things up) or choose not to watch any sports at all. I agree it's unfortunate, but that's just the reality. I love cycling, so I watch cycling.

shades1 said:
this is what cycling has become im afraid , as much as i love the sport it will never be looked at as a clean sport ever again . riders will always be under suspicion . somewhere along the line it will all explode again im sure of it , something new will arise in the PED industry that will go undetected for a few years and then bang the **** storm will happen again .

The models cycling is trying to follow - Football, tennis etc, involve massive doping with no one getting caught. So its not a forgone conclusion imo.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
P.S. Cancellara is also said to be like Master Of Puppets: starts with Battery. (sorry, sorry, sorry, read your signature 1,000 times & had to say it :D)

No one can pick on old school Metallica fans.

No one...

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I remember in 94-96; we and the media KNEW that epo was the big thing. Danish tv even followed Gewiss-Ballan and rummaged through their trash, and had the medical waste tested, and yes it was epo, epo, epo.

Nowadays it seems more wishy-washy as to what the main drug(s) of choice are. Whatever it is they all seem to have found it though, and once the tests catch up to the current fuel it could well explode. Cycling will continue to have the eyes of the world look down on the sport while tennis, etc., will slide under the radar as it has done thus far.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
Whatever it is they all seem to have found it though

Impossible. If this was true, no way Horner would have won the Vuelta. If all are on the same stuff/method (even though some dopers respond better, others worse), Horner would have been where he was in his first europe stint (when the majority riders were on extra blood and/or Epo): back fodder on the edge of losing the pro contract, not even able to follow the 2nd of two speeds, the tempo of clean riders from France like Casar.

And even if Horner would be the super resonder on the new stuff now, he´d max be able to do what all 40+ year old doped riders do; either retire or riding on 2nd tier teams.

We (may soon) will see when everybody is on the same stuff: The day you no more read Horners name amongst the T-20 in GTs he is riding...

Clausfarre said:
I remember in 94-96; we and the media KNEW that epo was the big thing. Danish tv even followed Gewiss-Ballan and rummaged through their trash, and had the medical waste tested, and yes it was epo, epo, epo.

Nowadays it seems more wishy-washy as to what the main drug(s) of choice are. Whatever it is they all seem to have found it though, and once the tests catch up to the current fuel it could well explode. Cycling will continue to have the eyes of the world look down on the sport while tennis, etc., will slide under the radar as it has done thus far.

It's too bad people don't care that much about pro cycling. There's just no mass market for cycling books. Otherwise, domestiques would write awesome tell-all books!

Col Okey said:
After the 2011 Tour de France I remember reading and hearing that speeds were down and how this was reassuring re possible doping so I thought I would look to see how the riders from that Tour have fared in the next two Tour's.

Cadel Evans 2011 1st 2012 7th @15'49" 2013 39th @1h30'14"

Andy Schleck 2011 2nd @1'34" 2012 DNS 2013 20th @41'46"

Frank Schleck 2011 3rd @2'30" 2012 DNF 2013 DNS

T Voeckler 2011 4th @3'20" 2012 26TH @1h4'41" 2013 65th @2h12'48"

A Contador 2011 5th @3'55" 2012 DNS 2013 4th @6'27"

S Sanchez 2011 6th @4'55" 2012 DNF 2013 DNS

D Cunego 2011 7th @6'05" 2012 DNS 2013 55th @1h59'38"

I Basso 2011 8th @7'23" 2012 25th @59'44" 2013 DNS

T Danielson 2011 9th @8'15" 2012 DNS 2013 60th 2h05'28"

J-C Peraud 2011 10th @10'11" 2012 44th @1h40'44" 2013 DNF

P Rolland 2011 11th @10'33" 2012 8th @16'26" 2013 24th 52'15"

R Taaramae 2011 12 11'29" 2012 36th 1h27'52" 2013 102nd 2h59'09"

So out of the top 12 riders in the Tour most people would accept as being one of the cleanER Tours of recent years only one rider has improved on his finishing position (Pierre Rolland 2012) but he still finished further back in terms of time to the winner, so does this mean that every rider who finished top 12 in that Tour was a doped up, rubbish rider who gave up doping in 2012(or should that be 20th August 2011)

Last few years have been very rough for Taaramae. Broken bones, mono, but mostly breathing problems. It has been diagnosed as allergic asthma, as chronic asthma, he has tried different drugs, but without clear help. In last september it was diagnosed as laryngeal obstruction or to be precise, bot asthma + laryngeal obstruction. Just two weeks ago he at last had surgery because of laryngeal obstruction. Who knows, did it help and will he be okey ...

Just had to bring this back to the top.

Those who continue to profess that a doped rider would still one of the most naturally talented should look at fraudlet and see a cautionary tale.

Fraudlet is starting to make even Gila Armstrong look like the second coming of eddy Merckx.

Fraudlet probably would not even make the pros naturally... And he is a freakin' TDF winner.

Unreal.

Big Doopie said:
Just had to bring this back to the top.

Those who continue to profess that a doped rider would still one of the most naturally talented should look at fraudlet and see a cautionary tale.

Fraudlet is starting to make even Gila Armstrong look like the second coming of eddy Merckx.

Fraudlet probably would not even make the pros naturally... And he is a freakin' TDF winner.

Unreal.

There are a few things that don't quite add up with the A.Schleck.

1. Why would Andy suddenly start riding clean? If it is he is scared because of what happened to Frank, then why is Frank back doing a lot better than Andy. Ok, Frank is not the rider he was a few years ago but if he is now clean, then Andy must have been far, far less naturally talented in that case.

2. If Frank is clean, he is dooing pretty ok, no big results but decent if riding clean and a lot better than what many would believe is possible clean.

3. If Frank is still doping, then why would Andy be scared of doing the same?

4. Why would Andy be scared at all if as some many claim on here, there is little chance of getting caught. Do the UCI just have an agenda against Andy or something?

I don't know, it is a very strange case.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
He just doesn't care enough to be a professional rider. I don't think there's more to it than that.

He just doesn't care enough to be a professional rider.. ANY MORE i'd suggest.

Since Cadel beat him to the 2011 tour he's been a shadow of what he was whether doped or not. His crash didn't help but he doesn't care enough any more to do anything constructive in cycling, he should move away and do something else

pmcg76 said:
There are a few things that don't quite add up with the A.Schleck.

1. Why would Andy suddenly start riding clean? If it is he is scared because of what happened to Frank, then why is Frank back doing a lot better than Andy. Ok, Frank is not the rider he was a few years ago but if he is now clean, then Andy must have been far, far less naturally talented in that case.

2. If Frank is clean, he is dooing pretty ok, no big results but decent if riding clean and a lot better than what many would believe is possible clean.

3. If Frank is still doping, then why would Andy be scared of doing the same?

4. Why would Andy be scared at all if as some many claim on here, there is little chance of getting caught. Do the UCI just have an agenda against Andy or something?

I don't know, it is a very strange case.

Good, valid points/questions all.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Personally I think these deep trough, high peak guys are the worst. Not that I think others are not going for the cookie jar.

Will Andy make the podium at LBL? I wouldn't be surprised.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha .........