• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Angry mob trashes Audi in Greenwich Village following argument

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
By JESSICA SIMEONE and PEDRO OLIVEIRA JR.

Village punks bounce up and down on an Audi, leaving its windows smashed.

A mob trashed a white Audi in Greenwich Village — with several people jumping on the vehicle and smashing its windows after the driver got into an argument with a cyclist, witnesses said.

The sedan’s owner, identified by a witness as Mitchell Levine, was driving through the intersection of Broadway and Bleecker Street at about 11:15 p.m. Thursday when his car was halted by the cyclist.

As the two men exchanged words, several members of the crowd — some of whom had been dancing atop other cars earlier — circled the Audi A4.

Some people jumped on top of the car, kicking the vehicle’s front and back windows, witnesses said.

“There were maybe two main guys who were jumping on the car and started smashing the windshield,” a witness told The Post. “A lot of the people were cheering, a lot were just spectators.

“The guy was trying to drive. He was going as slowly as he could without running anybody over,” the witness added of Levine. “He later told me he was afraid for his life. He was just trying to go home.”

Jika González

A crowd surrounded the Audi before people jumped on top of the car.

He couldn’t move any farther as the crowd got even thicker, with dozens of passersby filming the incident while others yelled obscenities at the driver.

Police arrived minutes later. But by then, the suspects had fled.

“There were a lot of people when police got there, but it wasn’t clear if they were involved,” the witness said.

During the chaos, Mark Fernandez, 21, of Brooklyn, was arrested for allegedly pushing his way through the crowd and striking an officer as cops tried to clear the area, police said.

Jika González

The car's driver reacts to the situation.

He was charged with obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest, harassment and disorderly conduct.

A 17-year-old male whose name was not disclosed was issued a summons for disorderly conduct in connection with the incident.

It is unclear what started the incident, but a local resident said the attack may have been sparked when Levine’s car got too close to the bicycle.

“Downtown traffic on Broadway was trying to push through the crowd when the Audi nearly hit a bicyclist crossing Bleecker and Broadway,” a tipster told Gothamist.

“Not clear who was at fault. The bicyclist stopped in front of the Audi and began screaming at the driver. I couldn’t hear what was being said.”

Article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/trash_dancing_iSCNSoG3LlHta6Hb9DSmPO#ixzz26C4kaTot

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
This is just stupid. No one got hit, there was no collision. This is completely unwarranted. And these are the same people that demand more respect from drivers. We won't get it with behaviour like this.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
it is hard to be sympathetic to an audi owner.

(click on image for youtube link)

however, i'm on the owner's side on this one.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Jagers said:
. . . . A mob trashed a white Audi in Greenwich Village — with several people jumping on the vehicle and smashing its windows after the driver got into an argument with a cyclist, witnesses said.

The sedan’s owner, identified by a witness as Mitchell Levine, was driving through the intersection of Broadway and Bleecker Street at about 11:15 p.m. Thursday when his car was halted by the cyclist.

As the two men exchanged words, several members of the crowd — some of whom had been dancing atop other cars earlier — circled the Audi A4. . . .

Oh, missed it. Shoot. It's right at the intersection of my fav NYC Corner Shop Cafe - best spinach salad in the world! :)

Seriously, I could never figure out who was crazier on NYC streets: single-speed couriers or Yellow Cab drivers. But I have a lot of respect for both.

TRENDING THREADS