Any Fans Of The Movie "American Flyers"?

I just wanted to pass along the link to a Facebook page I've created for the movie, in hopes WB actually gives a darn about it, and possibly decides to re-release it. Aug 16, 2015, will be the 30th anniversary of the films release, and I think it'd be awesome to release it in the proper way, since it has become a cult classic throughout the cycling community.

Anyways, I hope you'll check it out, "like it" and contribute to the page.

Thanks for clicking on this thread.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Flyers/588594551266170?ref=bookmarks
 
DenisMenchov said:
I like that movie a lot, but the writer of it, my countryman Steve Tesich has even better one, an Oscar winner, called 'Breaking Away'.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just don't think AF gets much love from folks.....No question Breaking Away is the tops in cycling movies....
 
A cult classic? Really?
This is one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. If this is for the sake of irony, then yeah, I "like."
Please correct me if I'm wrong--it has been a while since I watched this--but isn't there a cold war undercurrent to this film in which the Eastern Bloc racers are portrayed as overweight Freds with beards?
That's hilarious.
 
Feb 4, 2010
524
0
0
I think AF is incredibly cheesy. Not particularly believable if you know anything about cycling. Breaking away is a much better cycling movie although it's not about bike racing per se.
 
the delgados said:
A cult classic? Really?
This is one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. If this is for the sake of irony, then yeah, I "like."
Please correct me if I'm wrong--it has been a while since I watched this--but isn't there a cold war undercurrent to this film in which the Eastern Bloc racers are portrayed as overweight Freds with beards?
That's hilarious.
Yes, as "cheesy" as it is, it was still a pretty decent movie at the time. looking back, yeah, some of it was a bit hokey, but it was still cool to see the Coors Classic footage throughout the movie. I'm sure there are those who think as you do about the movie, as I'm sure there are some who think the movie is a cult classic(usually, the bad/cheesy or horrible movies are considered cult classics). I know some in the cycling community who actually like the movie. As bad as Kevin Bacon has slogged off the movie "Quicksilver", it's still a pretty cool movie IMO.

I'm sorry I've hit such a strong nerve with you, I guess I shouldn't look for your insightful comments or a "like" on the page then, I think I'll manage.

As for your last statement, I have no idea what you're talking about, care to share?
 
9000ft said:
I think AF is incredibly cheesy. Not particularly believable if you know anything about cycling. Breaking away is a much better cycling movie although it's not about bike racing per se.
You must've missed a few posts up where I said that BA was the tops in cycling movies, unfortunately they're not going to re-release BA anytime soon. ALL the cycling movies out(minus BA) can be considered "cheesy", from AF to Premium Rush(though that's more mountain biking), to Quicksilver and others. I think we should just be thankful folks give enough of a darn to make movies involving cycling, no matter how "cheesy" they are.
 
86TDFWinner said:
Yes, as "cheesy" as it is, it was still a pretty decent movie at the time. looking back, yeah, some of it was a bit hokey, but it was still cool to see the Coors Classic footage throughout the movie. I'm sure there are those who think as you do about the movie, as I'm sure there are some who think the movie is a cult classic(usually, the bad/cheesy or horrible movies are considered cult classics). I know some in the cycling community who actually like the movie. As bad as Kevin Bacon has slogged off the movie "Quicksilver", it's still a pretty cool movie IMO.

I'm sorry I've hit such a strong nerve with you, I guess I shouldn't look for your insightful comments or a "like" on the page then, I think I'll manage.

As for your last statement, I have no idea what you're talking about, care to share?
Sorry for getting carried away.
So no big bearded Russian riders in the film? My memory is unreliable, but I could have sworn there was a sub plot involving nasty Eastern Bloc riders, who in real life would be dropped within a few km's.
If not, a sequel is in order.
 
Sorry for getting carried away.
Not a problem.....

So no big bearded Russian riders in the film? My memory is unreliable, but I could have sworn there was a sub plot involving nasty Eastern Bloc riders, who in real life would be dropped within a few km's.
LOL, that was Belov...and he did have a beard. You have to consider the time frame of when that movie came out...the sport wasn't as big then as it has become now. Most of the "in the know" riders, would surely say what you have. But at the time, I doin't think many would've. Plus, Im a fan of any movie(s) that promotes cycling, and other than the 2-3 I've mentioned, there really aren't that many that have been released to massive audiences.



If not, a sequel is in order.
But would you go see one, since you dislike the original so much?
 
Jan 22, 2011
362
0
9,280
the delgados said:
Sorry for getting carried away.
So no big bearded Russian riders in the film? My memory is unreliable, but I could have sworn there was a sub plot involving nasty Eastern Bloc riders, who in real life would be dropped within a few km's.
If not, a sequel is in order.
Thank goodness your memory is spot on...so no sequel is required. ;)

 
Apr 10, 2009
571
0
0
One of my good friends is pink jersey #55 in that movie. :D (Love the cheesiness of that movie, it's like Point Break for surfing)

edit: I just shared your page with him, and I liked it...... what can i say, I like Point Break too.
:D
 
Feb 23, 2012
237
0
0
As cyclists, we all are attracted to most any media that portrays our sport. AF and BA are in this group and so we watch and like.

But AF is not quite as splendid as BA. Aside from bicycles and the same writer, AF does not reach any defining level of accomplishment. The writing is OK, the story-line predicable, the acting mediocre to atrocious, and the directing more suited to a TV installment than cinema. The race culture footage and Merckx’s minute add some needed substance, but it all is a mess.

BA has fine writing and the cycling story is a metaphor for life. The dialogue is memorable, the acting good to very good and the direction is wonderful – from a director who has cinema substance.

The highway scene with the truck, even though the rider is in the wrong chain ring, is wonderful probably most have dreamed of it. I have.

BA is a classic film in general, a classic cycling film and an essay on life, with societal/cultural commentary, teenage angst, romance, great music and some hitting humor that stays fresh. Even non-cyclists can relish BA.

Example:
<><><><>
Dad: What is this?
Mom: It's sauteed zucchini.
Dad: It's I-tey food. I don't want no I-tey food.
Mom: It's not. I got it at the A&P. It's like... squash.
Dad: I know I-tey food when I hear it! It's all them "eenie" foods... zucchini... and linguine... and fettuccine. I want some American food, dammit! I want French fries!
<><><><>

The only other “cycling” film that stands with BA is “The Bicycle Thief.”
 
slowoldman said:
One of my good friends is pink jersey #55 in that movie. :D (Love the cheesiness of that movie, it's like Point Break for surfing)

edit: I just shared your page with him, and I liked it...... what can i say, I like Point Break too.
:D
Thank you my friend...keep sharing.....:)
 
Aug 15, 2012
844
0
0
Haha, as a long-time surfer I love point break too! I hear they are remaking it though, which makes me sad inside.
 
yespatterns said:
Haha, as a long-time surfer I love point break too! I hear they are remaking it though, which makes me sad inside.
Me too. Supposedly, there were rumors years ago, that someone was contemplating "remaking" Breaking Away.........I doubt it'd do much profit wise, some movies you just don't touch.

I think Dennis Christopher mentioned it in an interview i read.
 
Aug 28, 2013
196
0
0
Anyone who even considers putting that steaming pile of crap on the same plane as Breaking Away deserves a Roadmaster bicycle under his Christmas tree this December.
 
chiocciolis_calves said:
Anyone who even considers putting that steaming pile of crap on the same plane as Breaking Away deserves a Roadmaster bicycle under his Christmas tree this December.
I don't see anyone putting it on the same plane as BA, just another cycling movie that deserves to be released the proper way IMO.
 
Nov 14, 2013
373
0
0
Well me and 21 other people have liked the Facebook page so the cult film is still pretty underground as they say. Pretty sure I could go-pro a turd and get more likes, never the less I am confident the studio will see the untapped potential and re release any day.

To be fair it is amongst Kevin Constners best work. (Apart from Mr Brooks which is some next level stuff)
 
ralphbert said:
Well me and 21 other people have liked the Facebook page so the cult film is still pretty underground as they say. Pretty sure I could go-pro a turd and get more likes, never the less I am confident the studio will see the untapped potential and re release any day.

To be fair it is amongst Kevin Constners best work. (Apart from Mr Brooks which is some next level stuff)
LOL! Your response to this is comedic gold, but not for the reason you'd think.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts