• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any teams exclusively dedicated to their leader like Postal/Disco was for LA?

This issue is coming up in multiple threads, so I thought we should talk about it one place.

Many folks here seem to fault LA, JB and others on Astana for not exclusively supporting AC like Lance was exclusively supported by his team and leadership on Postal/Disco.

For example, someone pointed out how when AC had a mechanical today, only one Astana rider hung back (Klodi) to help bring him back. The comparison was made with how many Postal/Disco guys would stay back with Lance when he had such an issue.

What seems to not be understood here is that the Postal/Disco organization, where every team member was devoted exclusively to support the team leader, is relatively rare. Don't believe me? Hence the challenge that is the title of this thread.

Which teams are exclusively dedicated to their leader like Postal/Disco was for Lance Armstrong?

Name any team/leader in this year's Tour, and I'll explain how they are not exclusively dedicated to their leader like Postal/Disco was for Lance Armstrong.

So, then, why do you expect Astana to be dedicated to Contador with such rare exclusive dedication?

And, if you have the sense to concede my point, then what is the basis of whatever criticism you have?

Ninety5rpm said:
This issue is coming up in multiple threads, so I thought we should talk about it one place.

Many folks here seem to fault LA, JB and others on Astana for not exclusively supporting AC like Lance was exclusively supported by his team and leadership on Postal/Disco.

For example, someone pointed out how when AC had a mechanical today, only one Astana rider hung back (Klodi) to help bring him back. The comparison was made with how many Postal/Disco guys would stay back with Lance when he had such an issue.

What seems to not be understood here is that the Postal/Disco organization, where every team member was devoted exclusively to support the team leader, is relatively rare. Don't believe me? Hence the challenge that is the title of this thread.

Which teams are exclusively dedicated to their leader like Postal/Disco was for Lance Armstrong?

Name any team/leader in this year's Tour, and I'll explain how they are not exclusively dedicated to their leader like Postal/Disco was for Lance Armstrong.

So, then, why do you expect Astana to be dedicated to Contador with such rare exclusive dedication?

And, if you have the sense to concede my point, then what is the basis of whatever criticism you have?

Hell during this TOUR Lance had a flat and I believe they sent 3 or 4 people to pace him back. 3 or 4.

As for your challenge it's kind of pointless since the USPS/Disco model is a product of Bruyneel's strategy and philosophy. So you might as well have asked does any other DS organize his team like Bruyneel The answer is NO. That's why the only point of comparison we have for how a Bruyneel lead team typically works are the USPS/Disco teams. He's deviated from his usual program to accommodate Lance and his ego, at the expense of his designated GC guy.

So no, no other team has the luxury of building their team around a single man. That of course will change next year when Contador relocates to another team.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
So no, no other team has the luxury of building their team around a single man. That of course will change next year when Contador relocates to another team.

He's under contract with Vino for 2010 so unless the race car driver dude bails him out Vino is going to bend him over real good. Or he could do the smart move and go with LA and JB. Vino has AC by the balls.:D

frizzlefry said:
He's under contract with Vino for 2010 so unless the race car driver dude bails him out Vino is going to bend him over real good. Or he could do the smart move and go with LA and JB. Vino has AC by the balls.:D

The contract is apparently owned by JB's company. I suspect Astana won't field a team after the Tour de France.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

That settles that theory.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Some, but none as organized as Postal or Discovery was for Lance.

-Banesto I recall was all for Indurain.
-Pantani's Mercatone Uno seemed organized around/dedicated to him.

2003 was the year (100th anniversary) that everyone tried to copy the model the most:
-CSC put everything behind Tyler in 2003 (just forgot to reinforce his c-bones)
-ONCE put Beloki as the front man
-Ullrich showed up with Bianchi (after Coast died), but was far less strong as a team
-Euskatel was Mayo and Zubeldia, but not balanced as a team (all spindly climbers)
-Tmobile was Vino (in conflict with Zabel sprinting, who was left off the roster in 2005 to concentrate on Vino, Kloden, Ullrich right? - the previous Astana like test except these guys really did attack each other)

So, I think there have been attempts, but most have been missing one thing, the winning guy.

TRENDING THREADS