• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone know their Tour climbs well?

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, just after a bit of info on a climb, it featured sometime over the past few years, it wasn't TDF so pretty sure it was The Giro or Vuelta, it aired on Eurosport, wasn't 2013 or 2012 but could be anytime between around 2005-6-7-8-9-10-11. It was a Mountain top finish stage and the riders were that tired at the top they barely cleared the finish line, some fell down onto the handlebars and some actually dismounted just over the line, can't remember who won the stage or even if it was a long or short climb, I only know it was the most brutal finish I had ever seen judging from the state of the riders. Wondered if anyone may know which year/which race/who won and the name of the climb. sorry it's so vague but if anyone can give me info I would be hugely grateful and feel sure there would be footage of it on youtube if I just knew the name of the climb. Thanks in advance.

Riders looked pretty tired at Gardeccia. Nieve didn't even have the energy to lift both arms.

article-0-0C34EC5900000578-354_468x352.jpg

Potential guesses:

2007 Giro - Monte Zoncolán (Gilberto Simoni)
2008 Vuelta - Alto de l'Angliru (Alberto Contador)
2010 Giro - Monte Zoncolán (Ivan Basso)
2010 Vuelta - Bola del Mundo (Ezequiel Mosquera)
2011 Giro - Monte Zoncolán (Igor Antón)
2011 Giro - Rifugio Gardeccia-Val di Fassa (Mikel Nieve)
2011 Vuelta - Alto de l'Angliru (Juan José Cobo)

Wildcards from another race:
2005 Deutschlandtour - Rettenbachferner (Levi Leipheimer)

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
was it a race where the stage winner slumped down immediately after crossing the line? and the eurosport commentator was saying "what riders feel when they see the finish line is relief" or something like that. 23% section at the end peaking to 29?%

Could be more than just the superwalls though. The Saxo ttt stage of this years tour had everyone knackered even though there were no climbs. Moltacino had some of course but not the superwalls.

Bola del Mundo for example both last year ( i know it falls outside year range) and 2010 while hardly the hardest climb in the world has the soigneurs push the riders the second they get over the finish line, and gives them oxygen etc.

Without more info though it will be hard to find. Do you remember if it was raining or dry for example. Did the riders come in in groups or ones and twos.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Bola del Mundo for example both last year ( i know it falls outside year range) and 2010 while hardly the hardest climb in the world has the soigneurs push the riders the second they get over the finish line, and gives them oxygen etc.

can anyone share the video of this?

2009 Vuelta Xorret del Catí is worth remembering if only for the sudden and violent death of Rein Taaramäe. How about Monte Petrano with Sastre winning, how were people at the end of that? Seem to remember that being a long and hellish stage, although 2011 to Rifugio Gardeccia is obviously the definitive one in that category.

TRENDING THREADS