• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are the French clean?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the french are as much clean as whole peloton,its funny to think everybody is doping but french cyclists are clean...if you look at this years french winners those are very good cyclists over past few years,its not like theres surprising french performance - you can argue charteau,but polka dot jersey and the way its won speaks for itself

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
callac said:
Past examples might also play in the head of a French rider.
Richard Virenque's been laughed at, mocked, and is still considered as a joke today (might not have to do 100% with his doping though... ).

I don't think any present day french rider might want to risk having the same media/public treatment.

Armstrong always had the excuse: "Doping? ... Just witch hunt from those jealous frenchies..." and could go home and enjoy his glory.
Virenque could just go home and checked how he was ridiculed on TV...

wrong, guys like virenque and moreau are seen as complete heroes in france. france doesn't care much about doping like most european cycling fans. it's just that they have very strict team directors who most of them have always disaprooved of it. it has to do with pride I think from when those directors were cyclists themself and rode cleanly like madiot.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
wrong, guys like virenque and moreau are seen as complete heroes in france.
:confused: I live in France, always have, and I don't know anybody, nor did I ever watched, read anything, that would refer to them as "heroes"...
I guess there might be a few exceptions within the 'national' opinion (often seen along the roads of the TdF), and we have no way to make a national poll to know for sure. I guess the opinions can range from "total frauds" to "forgivable doped champions", but "heroes"? No way...

A few fans on the side of the roads for 3 weeks within the year don't qualify as a certified national opinion.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
wrong, guys like virenque and moreau are seen as complete heroes in france. france doesn't care much about doping like most european cycling fans. it's just that they have very strict team directors who most of them have always disaprooved of it. it has to do with pride I think from when those directors were cyclists themself and rode cleanly like madiot.

wrong Virenque was derided in opinion polls taken at the time in france about who was young people's(under 23) least likely role model and Virenque was number 2 after Jean Marie LePen.

France does care about doping, they along with Italy are the most active countries in the world of cycling that are actually doing something about doping.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
Did/does you live in France? Do you speak French?

If yes, you should know that Virenque (and his family) had very hard days when lying. When something is related to doping, his muppets image is still used.
Do you want to laugh ? just have a look at these videos http://www.google.fr/search?q=guignol+virenque

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure french athletes would dope (and did dope) as much as anyone else, but the french public opinion just does not stand for it, when push comes to shove.

Virenque was a hero. Finally, a potential replacement for France's long lost champions; even though he was dumb as a rock with too big a mouth. And then the truth came out. The disappointment was intense and very bitter.
Virenque wasn't talented, he was a cheat.
It was like "not only are we no good and a second-rate cycling country, but on top of it we are cheats, and seen as cheats by the rest of the world". Nope, Virenque, who already wasn't very likeable to start with, didn't really survive that one.

If you doubt this, just take a quick look at Henry's handball vs Ireland to qualify for the world cup. The backlash has been massive in Ireland about it, but it has been nearly worse in France.

The french have a lot of defects, but the "average french" does not like or condone cheating or doping, in any discipline. The french enjoy their moral high ground very much. (popularity of the tdf in France is at an all-time low since it started in 1903; I'm not making this up and it's not hard to figure out why)
I'm quite sure that if the french riders are clean atm, it's because of the fear of public retaliation, rather than anything else.

(you could produce Anquetil as a counter-example, I suppose, but Anquetil is in a class of his own)

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
(you could produce Anquetil as a counter-example, I suppose, but Anquetil is in a class of his own)
I'm not so sure about that... He is/was nowhere near the popularity of Poulidor (his private life didn't help...), and I think what's left of his popularity is just because he's the needed half in the Poulidor/Anquetil legend. Anquetil without Poupou could easily stays in memories as "a cheat and a pervert".

EDIT: Quote by Anquetil: "people can accuse me of doping. They just need to check my thighs and my buttocks: real colanders!"

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
callac said:
I'm not so sure about that... He is/was nowhere near the popularity of Poulidor (his private life didn't help...), and I think what's left of his popularity is just because he's the needed half in the Poulidor/Anquetil legend. Anquetil without Poupou could easily stays in memories as "a cheat and a pervert".

EDIT: Quote by Anquetil: "people can accuse me of doping. They just need to check my thighs and my buttocks: real colanders!"
ha ha ha. The thing is he never lied about it, at least.
and it's true that Poupou is better loved.

I found this video in the links about Virenque, there is no talk in it, so anynoe can get the joke, and it is hilarious (and short).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tu2k_richard-virenque-dopage_fun

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Speaking about Anquetil... He was a prototype of the main character of an infamous Soviet cycling novell. The protagonist did dope at some point, when he was in touble at a dufficult stage race, but he was a good character anyway :D

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think, and maybe others think the same, that Anquetil doped out of laziness, and to replace proper training. The class was there. I've never heard anybody imply he was a hack.
Ah, well, he likely died of it and alcohol, and young.