• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are top-levers obsolete?

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
What ever happened to panache? Whipper snappers these days just plain dont get it. without a role model like ryan trebon or lance armstrong to set a good example, who will they follow? Top levers are the epitome of cross. without them, folks just ride around on road bikes getting dirty. stay true to pure cross. top levers and single speeds.

Boeing said:
Fewer and fewer on pro bikes.

with more and more disc and soon hydraulics, are they still viable?

I raced without them for years and didn't notice a difference. Steep enough descents and the top-mounted levers are superior. Otherwise, they aren't critical. Another case where it just depends on the course.

With the industry moving onto hydraulic and discs, they will probably go away until there's full market saturation of hydraulic discs.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
CX top mount levers are used more in North America, hardly see any Euro CX pros using them. DirtyWorks is right, the adaptation of d-brakes for CX is eliminating their use as well.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Not much braking at the pro level anyway; although top mount hydro would be sweet IMHO

This! I'm waiting for SRAM to bring an inline lever that is triggered by a dual-control brake cable and in turn actuates a hydro disc. I don't race but run top-mounts and mech. discs on my town/trail CXer. Would love to go hydro with it.