• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's Image Taking a Hit

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

sub240

BANNED
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hF6-n0BpcNqYORFKqOBHfw-lZxMwD9HC62K80

Although the investigation is ongoing, public opinion may be starting to shift. Words such as "scandal" and "lie" and "steroids" are now the most popular phrases used to describe Armstrong, according to Zeta Interactive, a marketing firm that tracks online sentiments. In 2008, when Armstrong was the fourth-most talked about athlete, words used to describe him included "hero" and "legend" and "Nike" — a reference to one of his main sponsors.

"Anyone or anything associated with Lance Armstrong should be very worried right now," Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido said. "He has faced these kinds of allegations before, but the fuel really seems to be kicking in this time."

Fifty-eight percent of online sentiments about Armstrong remain positive, according to Zeta's rating system, but that's down from 86 percent at the beginning of July and the first time that it has fallen below 60 percent.

Google must have been taken over by haters.

Probably most of the people at Google love cancer.

I wonder what Obama's Zeta rating is now?

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0806-armstrong-lance--20100805,0,6800793.story
All he left out was something along the lines of "I was talking with Michelle Bachmann and..."

Dumb to politicize this, even if you're half kidding, and even if the other wide tries. I'm a conservative, love cycling as a participant and fan, and am on your side. I am sickened by a guy who apparently cheated the system, enforced omerta, possibly bribed the UCI, and hides behind the cancer community whenever things get rough.

If anything, LA's last defenders will be fellow celebrities and celebrity worshippers ... PEOPLE magazine readers.

sub240

BANNED
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Dumb to politicize this, even if you're half kidding, and even if the other wide tries. I'm a conservative, love cycling as a participant and fan, and am on your side. I am sickened by a guy who apparently cheated the system, enforced omerta, possibly bribed the UCI, and hides behind the cancer community whenever things get rough.

If anything, LA's last defenders will be fellow celebrities and celebrity worshippers ... PEOPLE magazine readers.

Well yeah your correct.

But let me tell you these guys are about to blast you.

They think there is no way to be conservative politically and think armstrong doped.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
sub240 said:
This guy Chris has a sock puppet? His avatar is Hot.

People claim that I do, but I have yet to see the facts backing that up. Think of it along the same lines as LA never failing a doping test.

My lawyer puts it this way, in a statement I recently released to the press:

"Me getting banned for sock puppetry is a story full of anonymous sources and more inappropriate leaks designed to create a circus-like atmosphere. The power of the moderators on CN forums is being abused to pursue dated and discredited allegations, and that's flat-out wrong, unethical, un-American and a waste of moderating duties.

To the extent that any forum members are suggesting that I violated forum rules or had a sock puppet, they are either mistaken or not telling the truth. I have posted in many forums over the years and those that know me know I have no sock puppets, and over all that time he has never failed even a single sock puppet test."

:D

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, we are still here, and your uniballed fraud of a hero is still under investigation. He has now resorted to tying to get the Teabaggers to write their congressman about shutting down the investigation. That is almost as sad as his OBVIOUSLY un-doped Tour performance. He should have quit the Tour, he would still have had just as many wins.

Tell u what:
I´m a very Ullrich-witchhunt-experienced German guy and i have seen it all in the last 4-8 years. Everything and everyone. Even guys like you, who are far from reality and make their virtual-forum-life as easy as it can be.
Just hate, talk sheit, fail, who cares ? go on, just hate, talk sheit...no one knows me, so lets take on this nutty internet.
Really boring for me, but it´s just interesting to see how the Americans handle this Armstrong thing. I especially meen the law-aspect and USADA. But the other stuff is funny and boring in the same way.
Forums, Press and other things are just the same as in Germany:
Some truth, some lies, busybodys, many sweating federations companys and officials, many courts and lawyers, many haters and fanboys, and some neutral and objective people, who just want to know the truth.

And as always, the truth will be somewhere in the middle - or/and in a freezer. :D

Armstrong will barbecue in his garden, like Ullrich - and possibly with Ullrich.
(Mainstream)Cycling, races and TV coverage in America will shrink again. Not because Armstrong doped, but because he isn´t riding any more.
People will say: "uhum, so yes, he must have doped."
And than whisper: "but we all know that they all did. so whats the problem."

Then it´s just waiting for the next national superstar or a superduel. In reality, all the (anti)doping stuff is secondary, but is becoming a new market. Especially for the media and anti-doping-agencies.

Now we have this gay duel AC vs AS and a new witchhunt.
Couldn´t be any better.

I am against doping, but looking forward to the moment, when the aliens pay a visit to our wasted planet/people and we offer them our clean, flawless and shiny cyclists. Would bet, they get lasered first because they look suspicious compared to the rest.

PS: So, take it easy and keep it real. Like in reality. That could be a base for a fruitful discussion. There is no one that was born with the truth, but please don´t troll. Just don´t write such sheit.

A

Anonymous

sub240 said:
This guy Chris has a sock puppet? His avatar is Hot.

You think his current avatar is hot? You should have seen his old one. Only one word could describe it.... Wow.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Tell u what:
I´m a very Ullrich-witchhunt-experienced German guy and i have seen it all in the last 4-8 years. Everything and everyone. Even guys like you, who are far from reality and make their virtual-forum-life as easy as it can be.
Just hate, talk sheit, fail, who cares ? go on, just hate, talk sheit...no one knows me, so lets take on this nutty internet.
Really boring for me, but it´s just interesting to see how the Americans handle this Armstrong thing. I especially meen the law-aspect and USADA. But the other stuff is funny and boring in the same way.
Forums, Press and other things are just the same as in Germany:
Some truth, some lies, busybodys, many sweating federations companys and officials, many courts and lawyers, many haters and fanboys, and some neutral and objective people, who just want to know the truth.

And as always, the truth will be somewhere in the middle - or/and in a freezer. :D

Armstrong will barbecue in his garden, like Ullrich - and possibly with Ullrich.
(Mainstream)Cycling, races and TV coverage in America will shrink again. Not because Armstrong doped, but because he isn´t riding any more.
People will say: "uhum, so yes, he must have doped."
And than whisper: "but we all know that they all did. so whats the problem."

Then it´s just waiting for the next national superstar or a superduel. In reality, all the (anti)doping stuff is secondary, but is becoming a new market. Especially for the media and anti-doping-agencies.

Now we have this gay duel AC vs AS and a new witchhunt.
Couldn´t be any better.

I am against doping, but looking forward to the moment, when the aliens pay a visit to our wasted planet/people and we offer them our clean, flawless and shiny cyclists. Would bet, they get lasered first because they look suspicious compared to the rest.

PS: So, take it easy and keep it real. Like in reality. That could be a base for a fruitful discussion. There is no one that was born with the truth, but please don´t troll. Just don´t write such sheit.

The difference here is Armstrong didn't disclose his disc-ecstatic play times and occasional car wrecks. Lance pursued the superhuman image of Cancer Curer/superhero and wrapped himself in the mantle of the untouchable. His profiteering and manipulation sets him clearly apart from any single sports figure in recollection or maybe ever.

We'll keep it real and share a measure of your cynicism but your fantasy driven view of the future assumes noone ever learns. Perhaps the German media and people are still grappling with larger historic issues; Americans are clearly image driven and will spit out the poseurs eventually.

Well, unsurprisingly, the lance-love-athon is still pretty strong in the versus forum..
Although some are starting to cross the line and believe it is possible he may have doped, they also believe LA is the victim. Of course they do :confused:

Here are some comments:
"I'm a lot more worried about what this will do to the sport in general rather than Lance Armstrong personally, although I think it is very wrong to make one person the scapegoat for what was happening."

"Ugh. I got a Tweet that mentioned Leipheimer as well, so I did some digging around. Apparently his team manager when he rode for Gerolsteiner is claiming that he rode the tour doped in 2005. Says he missed having a positive test by .2 "

"Why are so many people so focused on trying to bring down a person who has brought so much to so many?" :D

Although this guy makes an excellent point...
"Some people insist that nothing less than incontrovertible "proof," in the form of some photos or videos of Lance doping, is what's necessary for them to be swayed. I would remind those in that camp of this: We have put people to death in this country on eyewitness testimony alone. It carries a substantial weight."

When people at work ask me how I feel about "my boy Lance" (because they think that is the only reason to watch cycling :rolleyes:) I tell them not to kid themselves - everything Landis says is true. They kind of stare at me like I am some alien - they can't believe I am calling LA an outright doper and liar and siding with someone like Landis.
I still talk to them about the beauty of cycling ...until their eyes glaze over and they stop listening...

May 18, 2009
Visit site
You guys are trying to get me to strike back at your taunts so I can get banned again. I get it. Your little games won't work this time. :D

TRENDING THREADS