• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Article about Vanilla/Sacha White

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Ha! When Mr. White started frame building a friend's shop ordered one of the very first, couldn't even build it up because the rear triangle was so misaligned you would've ended up riding in circles. Hung in the window all summer waiting for a replacement. He's come a long way, I guess. :rolleyes: :D

May 23, 2011
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Ha! When Mr. White started frame building a friend's shop ordered one of the very first, couldn't even build it up because the rear triangle was so misaligned you would've ended up riding in circles. Hung in the window all summer waiting for a replacement. He's come a long way, I guess. :rolleyes: :D

That is funny. I do not really "get" Vanilla. It seems very trendy, and Vanilla has not produced that many frames. It seems like an extreme example of a common barb against new frame builders, that they take a frame building course, put up a pretty website, and--boom--they are in business as professional frame builders. Compared to Sachs who has been doing this for decades, the reputation of Vanilla seems a bit unjustified. I read somewhere that Pegoretti had made 40,000 frames before he began selling under his own name. There is a massive gap in the levels of experience.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Damiano Machiavelli said:
That is funny. I do not really "get" Vanilla. It seems very trendy, and Vanilla has not produced that many frames. It seems like an extreme example of a common barb against new frame builders, that they take a frame building course, put up a pretty website, and--boom--they are in business as professional frame builders. Compared to Sachs who has been doing this for decades, the reputation of Vanilla seems a bit unjustified. I read somewhere that Pegoretti had made 40,000 frames before he began selling under his own name. There is a massive gap in the levels of experience.

Sacha is definitely passionate about his work, can't take that away from the man, his design aesthetic is second to none and that's his hook, but I hear what you're saying about experience. This happens in my world of wheels, with over 200 wheel companies too choose from there are still upstarts popping up all over the place that offer the same thing the previous 180 did with a different name on essentially the same wheel set over and over again. And it's usually someone with questionable experience building them.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
This happens in my world of wheels, with over 200 wheel companies too choose from there are still upstarts popping up all over the place that offer the same thing the previous 180 did with a different name on essentially the same wheel set over and over again. And it's usually someone with questionable experience building them.

Or this guy....

http://inv.spiritmachinery.com/q/webinv/017720=p,4668,,,p,,,20171881

I like the 'no skilled personnel required' part.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sascha White makes some absolutely gorgeous works of art--beautifully detailed, retro machines, perfect for hanging on the wall and occasionally taking down to ride to the coffee shop. If you want a steel bike to race and ride, Richard Sachs is the American master.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Wallace said:
If you want a steel bike to race and ride, Richard Sachs is the American master.

Some more American masters to choose from,
.......if you don't feel like waiting 7 years for Richard or Sasha to finally start building your frame. :D

Brian Baylis
John Slawta
Sean Walling
Curt Goodrich
Chris Kvale
Brent Steelman
Carl Strong
Bruce Gordon
Waterford

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah, but it appears that the wait for Richard Sachs may be more than seven years.
Update: July 15, 2008

At this time, I have decided to close the order book to new clients for Richard Sachs Signature road frames indefinately . If you are currently contemplating a purchase and holding an order form, I encourage you to remit by August 15, 2008.

Please note that I will continue to accept new orders from current and previous Richard Sachs clients.

Thank you.
http://www.richardsachs.com/site/faq/

Unless something has changed since?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I got ants in my pants after waiting 12 months for Antonio Mondonico to start my frame. I eventually canceled it, mistake, probably. Someday I'll make up for that with a Pegoretti, and hopefully soon before he retires. :eek:

As for the American builders, I'd say next in line after Sachs for pure steel race bikes would be Chris Kvale, years of experience almost identical to Sachs, and maybe even a more impressive personal race palmares.

I know Chris still rides a ton and is a really personable guy.

http://www.chriskvalecycles.com/home.html