• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Article by Barry Ryan - must read

RedheadDane said:
I like the "stage results" Leopard Trek being #1, the rest all being #9. Though I can't help but thinking that Farrar should've been "#1" as well... unless of course it was his own wish...
ii'm with you on the small print... as for his own wishes, i'm sure he has only one -- that Wouter was still with us.

it was a very gracious gesture by Leopard-Trek to include him. fitting, yes, but still... it's probably right that the team, and only the team, got #1. gut-wrenching, but it is a business after all. and this was their first Grand Tour...

RedheadDane said:
I guess you're right... and of course that would be his [Farrar's] only wish.

And in a way those numbers mean nothing. Just like teams and, to quote Millar, 'white lines on the road' doesn't mean anything either.

I would have to disagree with the second part of the statement. I think the numbers mean something, those numbers will go into the record books to show the unity of the riders, and bring a reminder for future generations who might otherwise not remember the tragedy.