• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Association Football.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
From the last decade, I can't recall any brilliant games between nations, at least that I've seen. If I can take Euro 2000 into account it would be either Portugal 3-2 England or Yugoslavia 3-3 Slovenia.

Between clubs it is Porto 3-2 Celtic at the UEFA Cup Final, but I'm probably being biased.

I don't really remember if the whole match was as fantastic, but the extra time of the Euro 2008 quarter final between Netherlands and Russia was great edge-of-the-seat stuff. Russia going all-out attack even when 2-1 up, with Arshavin running the show.

I also remember fondly the opening match of the 2006 World Cup, Germany - Costa Rica. Not really for the match itself, but for the buzzing atmosphere around it and the goals (especially the Lahm one).

For best match of the last decade, I think I'm with Met de Versnelling on Netherlands - Czech Republic from Euro 2004. Brilliant match. If memory serves me right, Nedved had a few insane long shots, of which one went in.
Could be forgetting quite a few candidates though, I'm not one to remember all matches I've seen.

One of the best club matches in recent times must be Liverpool - Arsenal 4-4 from a few years back. Goals bonanza and great attacking football.

Met de Versnelling said:
At the risk of garnering hatred from the Dutch Mafia...

Holland 2-3 Czech Rep, Euro 2004. Utterly absorbing game, and chock full of attacking intent.

I dont watch loads of football but I remember this game being outstanding, so much action, so many opportunities for both teams.

Also Spain at Euro 08 were outstanding most of the tournament playing some great games.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Can any of you recommend a decent message board similar to CN here but for football?

I follow Serie A and B from east coast USA. I signed up for the Goal message boards but I 'm not sure any true serious football discussion goes on there.

Thank you

* sorry I didn't mean to hijax the thread.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The most entertaining was Holland v Portugal at the 2006 World Cup - for all the wrong reasons.

Wales 2 Italy 1 in 2002 was a cracker.

Going back just over a decade: Yugoslavia 3 Spain 4 at Euro 2000 was an extraordinary game.

European Football

nickel999 said:
Can any of you recommend a decent message board similar to CN here but for football?

I follow Serie A and B from east coast USA. I signed up for the Goal message boards but I 'm not sure any true serious football discussion goes on there.

Thank you

* sorry I didn't mean to hijax the thread.

The three European columnists at the Guardian European Football: Sid Lowe (Spain), Raphael Honigstein (Germany) and Paolo Bandini (Italy) all have a weekly column/blog and are all excellent. The paper's coverage of English football is pitiful in comparison.
Jonathan Wilson is also excellent, he covers Eastern Europe and does heavy tactical columns.

Lowe, Honigstein and Wilson also write for si.com

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
LeakyBoat said:
The three European columnists at the Guardian European Football: Sid Lowe (Spain), Raphael Honigstein (Germany) and Paolo Bandini (Italy) all have a weekly column/blog and are all excellent. The paper's coverage of English football is pitiful in comparison.
Jonathan Wilson is also excellent, he covers Eastern Europe and does heavy tactical columns.

Great, thank you Leaky. I'll give them a read

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Collingwood V StKilda in the grand final was quite a good match last year though the replay was even better.

St Kilda vs an ageing English middle order batsman seems a bit of a mismatch to me. Did Paul win?

Christian said:
Germany - Argentina was pretty good in 2006
As i recall the manager took off Crespo and Riquelme, their 2 best players, in the 70th minute. No wonder they couldnt win.

Mambo95 said:
Going back just over a decade: Yugoslavia 3 Spain 4 at Euro 2000 was an extraordinary game.

Greatest match ever. For those who didnt see it, Spain needed to win to go through. Yugoslavia couldnt lose. The first half was normal with Yugoslavia scoring and Spain equalising. But in the second half it kicked off.

Both teams broaght on substitutes. in the 50th minute the Yugoslav substitute curled a shot in with his weaker foot from the edge of the box. Top corner. 30 seconds later the ball goes up and Spanish substitute curled a shot in with his weaker foot from the edge of the box. Top corner. An identical goal.

Yugoslavia took the lead back, with 10 minutes to go it looked all over. Spain needed 2. they tried. Chance after chance missed. Couldnt score. The 4th official put up 5 minutes. a minute went by. 2 minutes. Spain couldnt score. In the 93nd minute Spain get a penalty. Mendieta put it in. They needed 1 more. They had 1 minute.

They loaded the box, floated it in. Ball cleared. They tried it again. Ball cleared. the 5 minutes went by, Yugoslavia were asking the ref to blow. They put the ball in again, it was cleared and the defender had to run back to get it.

It got stuck in his feet he was panicking so much but when he finally put it in, you just knew what was going to happen. It fell to Alfonso on the half volley and the entire team and coaching staff joined in the celebration. Yugoslavia were devestated, untill they were informed that Norway had somehow failed to beat Slovenia, sending both teams in this epic tie through.

Raul would ruin it in the next match by missing a penalty against France though he did make up for it with a wondergoal.

LeakyBoat said:

Lowe was one of the "experts":rolleyes: on the Real Madrid tv weekly show called extra time that they brought in from all over the globe. They were such "experts" that they all agreed that Juan Carlos Valeron must be in his mid 20's. They kept boasting about which players they speak to, sort of my **** is bigger than yours type childish rants (I thought it was their job to talk to these players) and the French expert which they had on pretty much every week would throw tantrums if anyone critiscised French players, espcially Benzema even though he was not even good enough to make the Real bench at the time. It was pretty

The Hitch said:
Lowe was one of the "experts":rolleyes: on the Real Madrid tv weekly show called extra time that they brought in from all over the globe. They were such "experts" that they all agreed that Juan Carlos Valeron must be in his mid 20's. They kept boasting about which players they speak to, sort of my **** is bigger than yours type childish rants (I thought it was their job to talk to these players) and the French expert which they had on pretty much every week would throw tantrums if anyone critiscised French players, espcially Benzema even though he was not even good enough to make the Real bench at the time. It was pretty
Lowe's blogs in the The Guardian are good and the comments are generally intelligent. For me, Honigstein's Bundesliga blogs are the best.

France's semi-final and final matches in the Euro 2000. Both went to extra time after thrilling 90 minutes. Great stuff back then.

And 2006 World Cup quarter-final match between Brazil and France. The game in itself wasn't too good but Zidane's individual performance was so superb it has to be mentioned.

Wonder no one has mentioned Ghana - Uruguay, best match of the 2010 WC by far.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ned vs italy 08'
never have i been so frustrated watching a game.

but really, to many to mention.

Recent-non international game... ars vs Newcastle. was so dramatic.
also loved spurs coming back :D

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget - El clasico tonight 22:00

Real Madrid - FC Barcelona

I think we'll see this match 4-5 (?) times now in next weeks ? :) :p

el-clasico-barca-real-1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS