• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana next year

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Well tbf I totally expect Kennaugh to be last year's Porte for Froome this year. We'll see. It still shapes up to be a very good contest hopefully.

Gloin22 said:
Well tbf I totally expect Kennaugh to be last year's Porte for Froome this year. We'll see. It still shapes up to be a very good contest hopefully.
I'm not so sure, Kennaugh seems to have been doing nothing but shotting tequila since TDF ended...

Nieve will be Froome's number 1 guy, I think :(

Dazed and Confused said:
Kennaugh is Porte 2.0? Not sure myself, but Froome really doesn't need the help once they hit the last climb of day anyway.

If Kennaugh becomes Porte 2.0 then Sky truly has discovered the magical potion. Porte has smashed the entire elite of climbers before Froome put the pedal to the metal, without him Froome might find that he has some select company in the last few km.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
If Kennaugh becomes Porte 2.0 then Sky truly has discovered the magical potion. Porte has smashed the entire elite of climbers before Froome put the pedal to the metal, without him Froome might find that he has some select company in the last few km.

This part is undisputable, let's see if Astana can use their money and resource to discover some scientific training method.:eek:

maltiv said:
I'm not so sure, Kennaugh seems to have been doing nothing but shotting tequila since TDF ended...

Nigel the Nutritionist will be onto that:D:p

In all seriousness i remember reading a book a few years back- before the good days where Sky were dominating- Wiggins had just failed at the TDF- and the author said Kennaugh was their next GT hope (goes to show how much has changed :cool:). He can climb well and based just off TTT's i'm presuming he can ITT reasonably. He is also still young, so he has room for improvement.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Now that Astana have decided against signing Pellizotti, here are my new predictions. For the Giro squad my guess is Scarponi, Aru (free role), Landa, Lutsenko, Tiralongo, Kessiakoff, Gruzdev, Guardini, Boric.

My guess for the tour squad is Nibali, Scarponi, Fugslang, Kangert, Agnoli, Brajkovic, Westra, Grivko, Iglinskiy.

Brajkovic is a more than able replacement for Pellizotti in the Tour given the talent of the other squad members. At least there can't be any complaints if Froome wins that he only won because of his team!

This also frees up spaces for Landa and possibly Guardini in the Giro.

CycloAndy said:
Now that Astana have decided against signing Pellizotti, here are my new predictions. For the Giro squad my guess is Scarponi, Aru (free role), Landa, Lutsenko, Tiralongo, Kessiakoff, Gruzdev, Guardini, Boric.

My guess for the tour squad is Nibali, Scarponi, Fugslang, Kangert, Agnoli, Brajkovic, Westra, Grivko, Iglinskiy.

Brajkovic is a more than able replacement for Pellizotti in the Tour given the talent of the other squad members. At least there can't be any complaints if Froome wins that he only won because of his team!

This also frees up spaces for Landa and possibly Guardini in the Giro.

Seems reasonable. Still hoping for a Sanchez or Horner signing though

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-to-ride-the-tour-of-flanders

Martinelli suggests that the TdF team will be:
Nibali, Fugslang, Scarponi, Brajkovic, Vanotti, Westra, Kessiakoff, Grivko/Gruzdev.

Was expecting Agnoli to beat Vanotti to a place!

Definitely strange, especially since this article indicates he was planning on the Tour (http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/agnoli_prepares_for_2014_with_tour_in_mind/).

It is still very early though, I doubt this is the final set in stone team for the Tour.