• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Awareness yes, but of what?

MacRoadie said:
Much debate exists as to what the true meaning of "Raising Awareness" is. As I see it, there are several schools of thought so I thought it might be interesting to see how people see "raising awareness"

I think I missed something here - could you raise my awareness about what this thread is about? I don't mind which of the several schools you mention you use. :)

Thanks

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
You know that, prior to Lance, many people were completely unaware that there was a disease called cancer. They were like, "Cancer? No. I'm a Sagittarius."

I'd say raising awareness means making a problem more visible for the general unaffected population so that they'd consider donating some money for the cause, supporting legislation and what have you. In that light, Armstrong did raise awareness, and it was a good thing regardless of his motives. Doesn't really change anything though.

180mmCrank said:
I think I missed something here - could you raise my awareness about what this thread is about? I don't mind which of the several schools you mention you use. :)

Thanks

The term "Raising Awareness" has become an embedded part of the Forum lexicon. It is used by both defenders and detractors in equal measure.

For some, it is a catch word for all the good that they believe Armstrong and the LAF do for the cancer community.

For others, it is a convenience: an adequately vague term that serves as an unbrella under which any number of liberties have been taken by the Amstrong camp. For some, it has more recently been used almost as an "excuse" or somehow a validation or justification for Armstrong's alleged doping.

As such, I'd like to see where people from both sides of the aisle fall on their own perception of the "true" meaning of "Raising Awareness". Is it awareness of Lance Armstrong, as some would insist? Is it awareness of the disease called cancer (as others would suggest)? Do we really need to be made aware in the 21st Century that cancer exists?

For my mind, it SHOULD be all about rasing awareness of the resources available to cancer victims and survivors. Somehow, I think that it falls woefully short in that regard.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Since 1999, Lance Armstrong has helped to "raise my awareness" (as an American and now competitive cyclist) of all of the following:

-the history of the Tour de France and previous winners
-the way a mega-charity operates
-the way to manage a human being as a brand
-the extent to which Americans are prone to hero worship
-the extent of doping and corruption in cycling

Lance Armstrong has not done much to "raise my awareness" of cancer--but then again, my father is a cancer surgeon, so I guess I've been hearing about the disease quite a lot since well before I started watching Lance and the Tour.

Thank you for explaining - now I get it - or at least I think I do. So this then...

Raising awareness is a common phrase advocacy groups use to justify a particular event, brochure or even the entire organization. Raising awareness refers to alerting the general public that a certain issue exists and should be approached the way the group desires. Common theme include certain diseases (breast cancer, AIDS), conflicts (Darfur), movements (Greenpeace, PETA), and political parties/politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_awareness

Not sure there is really much room for debate about what it means... more who or what is the object of awareness raising ... Lance or Cancer. I am sure Lance would say "Cancer" and others would debate I guess.

Am I getting it now? :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It is clear what raising awareness means, driving traffic to a for profit website

graph

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Since 1999, Lance Armstrong has helped to "raise my awareness" (as an American and now competitive cyclist) of all of the following:

-the history of the Tour de France and previous winners
-the way a mega-charity operates
-the way to manage a human being as a brand
-the extent to which Americans are prone to hero worship
-the extent of doping and corruption in cycling

Lance Armstrong has not done much to "raise my awareness" of cancer--but then again, my father is a cancer surgeon, so I guess I've been hearing about the disease quite a lot since well before I started watching Lance and the Tour.

Just wondering, ERGMonkey, has your father ever offered up his opinion of LA?

Lance Armstrong has been the singular most successful participant in the history of cycling to raise awareness of the pervasiveness of doping within the sport.

That he has done a better job that those with doping offenses or admitted use, puts him head and shoulders above five-timers like Merckx and Anquetil. Even Floyd's notariety and public revelations cannot hold a candle to Lance's awareness success.

He is in a class unto himself.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Great graphic - I assume the blue one is the commercial one?

Yes, Blue is the .com.

The Foundation spent $4,000,000 on advertising, most of it very simple with a picture of Armstrong and Livestrong.

It is clear the the main benefiter of this advertising is the for profit website.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
HelmutRoole said:
You know that, prior to Lance, many people were completely unaware that there was a disease called cancer. They were like, "Cancer? No. I'm a Sagittarius."

Typing, laughing, typing some more, laughing some more. I'm laughing so hard I have to reattach my a$$. :D

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
sartain said:
Just wondering, ERGMonkey, has your father ever offered up his opinion of LA?

No, as far as I can tell he doesn't have an opinion to offer. The only news on cycling he hears is what I tell him. Dad's much more of a college basketball fan.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Is there a LanceAwarenessdotcom foundation?
Then I could learn about the flooding in Australia,cancer,and the awareness of being aware of all things to be aware of.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Putting aside the financials...the problem is that Lance's massive doping directly contradicts Livestrong's core ideas about survivorship.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
"Raising awareness" equates to selling more Livestrong branded crap that Lance gets a 42.5% of a cut of the profits from. Gotta pay for all that jet fuel somehow.

TRENDING THREADS