• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso's Change of Approach

I found it interesting in reading today's Gazzetta dello Sport article on Basso's first early season victory in 10 years, how the Italian champion has had a "revolutionary" change of approach to his racing.

Previously, when racing against Armstrong at the Tour, he followed the American's strategy of riding low key until the real build up for July (as did Ullrich as well as others). Now he says that a champion has to be "convincing" even at the early season events.

It's as if gone with the American, so too goes the philosophy. Yet it's surprising how quickly such a "fad" can be dropped for a new, but really old, approach.

As usual, however, CN has left out an important aspect of the said article in their recap of it today: namely, what was discussed about Catalonia being the first real show down between Basso and Contador. Surly Basso wants to present himself as a real rival to the Spaniard's throne and that this has also reawakened his desire to be "convincing" at a time of year when, during the Armstrong years, he could not have cared less about. The most interesting part of the article was precisely about this and the Italian's conviction that he can present himself as such.

Thoughts?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is kinda late to try that approach Ivan... you are in the side of the hill where you only can go down but is nice to see that you want to give it a try... prove to the other riders that you can drop them and that will have a psycological impact on them... also winning early in the season give you confidence for the real deal :)

I don't know why they moved this thread from where it was (assume the Clinic) because now we can not talk about an inevitable subject that is doping.

Old approach taken by Basso. Just speculating, I guess in the public eye, these riders are starting to realize that the media and the fans are more educated about the doping programs and that focusing for single events don't fit in well in people's mind if you are a naturally gifted athlete. It does not say that he will ride clean for his main target but he will have a very good Alibi that he has been winning from the beginning of the season. It is just one part of the PR program. Besides it is more fun when you win races

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So, what is he doing now ?

Last time he said that he would leave out the Giro completely, because it wouldn't honour the race if he would ride it for preparation. :D

Mine was more about the recent historical turn. I mean, when Armstrong ruled, it was if any Tour hopeful had to imitate the Texan's formula. Now that he is gone, even his ex-rivals have returned to a more traditional European concept of cycling. That is racing within certain expectations throughout the entire calendar.

My interpretation is that, in the wake of LA and that of Contador's achievements, Basso has suddenly rediscovered himself to be European.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe He's reading this forum... and especially the part where we always complain about those riders who only race in may - july period... and thought "Hey! those guys are right! I'll ride hard all the year long to prove them that they are wrong about me! I'm not one of those kind of riders!" haha ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Maybe He's reading this forum... and especially the part where we always complain about those riders who only race in may - july period... and thought "Hey! those guys are right! I'll ride hard all the year long to prove them that they are wrong about me! I'm not one of those kind of riders!" haha ;)

Let's hope Il Principe doesn't read this forum then. :p

When you think about Basso is returning to a different cycling, than what we got between 1999-2005. And I don't mean to be excessively provocation.

The realty seems to have been that Armstrong mainly raced for his American fan base and sponsors. The Tour, after all, is the only cycling event that gets significant attention in the US, thus all else, except for that which wasn't necessary to achieve success at the Tour, was sacrificed because "insignificant" in the final analysis. Even the Worlds! This shows how powerful the Texan's persona was in shaping the type of specialization we witnessed going on, which seemed to revolve exclusively around him and the Tour.

Thus began a period when the other giants of the peleton, such as Ullrich, road the Giro, for example, merely for "training," relegating it as a result to an even more mainly Italian affair: or if they didn't chose to ride other events closer to July like the Tour de Swiss, at times also here just for "preparation". It was then that Cunego won the Giro, which has demonstrated to have been quite significant, not that he won, but because he won, for the competition was wanting. Basso did not even participate in his national event for years as a result to focus exclusively on the Tour, which thereby gave even that great race an "inflated" international worth. All because of the American, really.

As soon as Lance was gone, Basso won the Giro. Then Contador came along and reestablished a new bench mark of excellence by winning all three grand tours within a few years, as well as a host of events in Feb.-April.

Now Basso feels that his performances were rather pathetic in the early season last year and so he wants to make amends this time round. I think this can only be good for the sport, in making it less one-dimensional.

Despite all the grave problems the sport faces, at least one aspect of it, I think, has been put back in the right direction. Now if we see Basso, Contador, Evans, Schleck, Greipel, Van der Garten and the others all at Liege as revved up to go for victory as in July, I'll be happy that the sport has gotten back in touch with its history.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey, I really like seeing guys race all season, that is what impresses me about Contador, as he races to win! For Basso to follow the Contador, and old school pattern of cyclesport can do nothing but bring more interest to the sport, particularly in Itlee and Belgium.
As much as I respect LeMond and the Texan for their flag waving, lazer-like focus, competitiveness and excitement (Greg) and domination(Lance) it adds a one demensioness to the sport, a superbowl as you will without the season.
I can see why Lance is hated for racing just the tour by the Europeans.

Parrulo said:
indeed other then sprinting he is the best at everything else just like all the other columbians. btw how bad do you have to be, that you get beaten by basso? lol

At the top of the Alto del Morredero last year there was a three-way sprint for 2nd. Alberto Contador and Ezequiel Mosquera were unable to defeat the mighty sprint of...

Juan Mauricio Soler.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Hey, I really like seeing guys race all season, that is what impresses me about Contador, as he races to win! For Basso to follow the Contador, and old school pattern of cyclesport can do nothing but bring more interest to the sport, particularly in Itlee and Belgium.
As much as I respect LeMond and the Texan for their flag waving, lazer-like focus, competitiveness and excitement (Greg) and domination(Lance) it adds a one demensioness to the sport, a superbowl as you will without the season.
I can see why Lance is hated for racing just the tour by the Europeans.

For what it's worth, before his brother-in-law filled him with buckshot, Greg was a serious competitor all year long--he came in 2nd at Lombaria, 3rd at LBL and 4th at Paris-Roubaix--he was clearly on the way to winning one of the monuments. After the "accident" he was never the same rider and couldn't compete all year long, although he did play a very strong supporting role in both of Duclos-Lassalle's P-R victories, and came in 2nd at Milan-San Remo.

I once heard Lemond talk and he said that not winning a classic was the biggest regret of his cycling career.

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
for some strange reason i like Basso (waits to be laughed at) so the more he races the better!

Glad he's missing the Giro this year to have a better crack at Contador and Schleck at the tour

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Blackstone said:
for some strange reason i like Basso (waits to be laughed at) so the more he races the better!

Glad he's missing the Giro this year to have a better crack at Contador and Schleck at the tour

Always a closet Bass man too. I wish him well, but has he woke up and smelt the coffee too late ?

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:
For what it's worth, before his brother-in-law filled him with buckshot, Greg was a serious competitor all year long--he came in 2nd at Lombaria, 3rd at LBL and 4th at Paris-Roubaix--he was clearly on the way to winning one of the monuments. After the "accident" he was never the same rider and couldn't compete all year long, although he did play a very strong supporting role in both of Duclos-Lassalle's P-R victories, and came in 2nd at Milan-San Remo.

I once heard Lemond talk and he said that not winning a classic was the biggest regret of his cycling career.

Hard as nails was our Greg.

Still managed a few rainbow jersey's though !! To come back after the hunting incident is miracle on it's own but it was a slow comeback. PDM should have held onto him. When he went to ADR I thought it was all over for him. How wrong can one be ?

TRENDING THREADS