• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben Foster doped....to play Lance.

As it is common, maybe we should start a thread, "Doping in the Movies"? Usually it's to achieve "the look", not to get into...umm...character? :p

The story: here

Apologies if the story is here somewhere, I couldn't find it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FitSsikS said:
As it is common, maybe we should start a thread, "Doping in the Movies"? Usually it's to achieve "the look", not to get into...umm...character? :p

also went to The Yellow Rose, and he got the hookers and blow and the private room.

April Stacy also turned down the offer
images

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
FitSsikS said:

also went to The Yellow Rose, and he got the hookers and blow and the private room.

April Stacy also turned down the offer
images
Neither one of the statements are true. Not even the turned down portion. :eek:

Dumorain said:
Don't think that's illegal

While Ben Foster himself hasn't named the drug, most seem to think it was EPO. Which, IIRC, is not available OTC. Therefore you have to question how he obtained it, before stating an opinion on the legality or otherwise of its use. You should probably also ask where it was used - parts of The Program were filmed in France where the non-prescription use of EPO could see you being sent to the Bastille.

Unrelated: the irony of David Walsh's celluloid avatar Chris O'Dowed supporting Lance Armstrong's celluloid avatar Ben Foster using drugs is delicious and I trust that the real life Walsh really appreciates the picture it paints of just how much the actors involved in transfering his book to the silver screen understand the moral of the story he's spent so long trying to tell.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Plenty of other actors use assistance to get into shape, normally anabolics to help adding muscle mass.

Difference is that he did drugs he doesn't want to name (lol) to know what's it like being Lance. Based on a quick skim of what Ben has to say he's doing a great job contributing to the public's misunderstanding of PEDs.

But yes, every time you see some film star being all ripped, he's done anabolics. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's hilarious though when the clueless idiots starting doing the Batman training regime and wonder why it doesn't make them look like Christian Bale.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
fmk_RoI said:
Dumorain said:

While Ben Foster himself hasn't named the drug, most seem to think it was EPO.

What would he hope to gain from doing EPO? More likely did Coke because it's fun and decided to make up some *** to build intrigue about the film.

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
looking forward to this film, whatever the secret of Foster's performance is. If it's a commercial success, perhaps it'll spark a bit of creativity and there might be more productions on the subject of doping in sport. Festina - the Musical?

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Cake said:
If it's a commercial success

The overnight reviews suggest there's little chance of that happening...

Guardian review is mixed rather than awful. But I suspect it's cos most film critics aren't that interested in sport so it doesn't resonate with them

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
fair point, I was stereotyping (possibly unfairly) based on the chin stroking kind of critic. The Senna film got good reviews I suppose. It frustrates me that there aren't more decent quality sporting films / TV, not just doping ones. There's been a few, Raging Bull, Senna, Rush was good fun. Set against that are Escape to Victory, Up and Under, Footballers sodding Wives, When Saturday Comes........

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:
Walsh being played by Chris O'Dowd might be the highlight of this movie.. isn't he like.. 30? lol

Is this the "IT Crowd" Roy?

Would love to see him in some "The Doped Crowd" series... with Richmond-like mysteriou character as main doctor.

From goth to boss... from timetrialist to mountain goat.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re: Re:

doperhopper said:
the sceptic said:
Walsh being played by Chris O'Dowd might be the highlight of this movie.. isn't he like.. 30? lol

Is this the "IT Crowd" Roy?

Would love to see him in some "The Doped Crowd" series... with Richmond-like mysteriou character as main doctor.

From goth to boss... from timetrialist to mountain goat.

Be great if there as a scene where his tape recorder or something didn't work... get some IT guy to come in and make the suggestion :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
fmk_RoI said:
Dumorain said:

While Ben Foster himself hasn't named the drug, most seem to think it was EPO.

What would he hope to gain from doing EPO? More likely did Coke because it's fun and decided to make up some *** to build intrigue about the film.

I'm with you. I call BS.... Total marketing ploy for what will probably be a bomb of a film.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Pretty sure most male actors use some form of steroid to buff up and get cut if they are playing that sort of role where a naked torso shot is required. For the news to carry on as if this guy is doing something unusual is silly.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:
Walsh feels like the guy playing him is doing a good job portraying a journalist. Too bad the same can't be said for Walsh.

:D

that is enough characters on the new forum innit, even without having to write 10char