• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Crop of National Champs?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems like the national road champs are riding especially well this spring. Cancellara (Switzerland) and Breschel (Denmark) just scored solid wins and look like major classics contenders. Boonen (Belgium) and Pozzato (Italy) are also clearly on very good form despite missing a really big win. Hincapie (USA) also rode well at Gent-Wevelgem, and Ivanov (Russia) is starting to look good ahead of his Amstel defense, too. Looks like only Arvesen (Norway) really got struck by a "curse" and crashed early in Oman, hurting his chances. Also, not to be out-done by the national champs, Cadel Evans seems to be riding well in rainbow bands.

My question is, does anybody care to suggest a year that had a better crop of national champs heading into the classics?

I am looking forward to watching the special jerseys in action in the coming weeks!

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Seems like the national road champs are riding especially well this spring. ..........
Also, not to be out-done by the national champs, Cadel Evans seems to be riding well in rainbow bands.

I am looking forward to watching the special jerseys in action in the coming weeks!

Actually Cadel was just outdone by his own 2009 national champ (TT) in Mick Rogers who finished 2nd in CI and 4th in Monte Paschi Eroica both ahead of Cadel, having won Ruta del Sol and made a real showing in both MSR and even this Forum via his tweets:D). (and Cadel only just pipped him in Tirreno Adriatico).

The Aust champs are of course run in January (so he is not really the reigning champion) but his successor this year, Cam Meyer (speaking of those tweets) just blitzed the world track champs with 3 golds!

All 3 are going well so from the Aussie perspective alone - yes, you are right about this year.

TRENDING THREADS