• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best GT of the year (2014).

Best GT?

• Stage 2 of the dauphine was the best! Vino option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
So vuelta is pretty much over. Which was the best GT in your opinion?

Honestly all GT's kinda sucked but then again how long has it been since we had a great GT?

The tour definitely would have been the best tour in 10 years if froome and contador didn't crash. Just imagine, that we would get this in every stage, and with a really good nibali....
dauphine14-st2-Froome-Contador.jpg

That stuff was so funny.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Vuelta though it was undeniably marred by Quintana's exit. The Giro is next with Aru emerging and Quintana winning his first GT. The Tour, well. :p

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Probably the Vuelta because we at least had a proper GC battle.

At the Giro, Quintana was easily strongest but only went full out on a couple of stages.

The Tour had the worst GC battle but the KoM and young rider were both really exciting.

Voted Vino simply because it was the best action we had all year. The Tour and the Vuelta promised much but delivered very little.

What have we learnt this year? Quintana is better than Uran. Nibali is better than Peraud. Contador is better than Froome when Froome is way off form and Contador is slightly less off form.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
You know, every GT this year seemed like the eventual winner was obvious and we were just waiting for them to get the the end and finish the GT. There wasn't really much doubt in my mind that after each eventual winner donned the leaders jersey they would keep it all the way. I really hope that we get some true competitions where the overall is traded a few times next year.

But I digress, the Vuelta this year has been a bit meh IMHO. It hasn't gotten me that excited thus far. Still great riding by Contador and pleased to see him win of course.

Then the Giro I did enjoy. Great riding by Quintana and loved seeing the emergence of Aru.

The Tour though, that's one race that I really enjoyed. Nibali's riding was fantastic IMO, especially on the cobbles which was one of the greatest stages I've ever seen. So based on the fact I was most excited by and happy about the Tour, got to go with that one.

All crap. All had crap winners (read riders I do not like), only interesting moments were Cadel's days in pink, and Valverde's stage win at the Vuelta and consequent days in red. Perhaps the day I start cheering for Quintana and Contador, they will loose races. That said, I vote vino option (Tour de Suisse stage 9).

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I think Le Tour was better,even if La Vuelta was having a better competition.I think Nibali evolution this Tour was insane,plus that cobbled stage was epic.Even without Froome and Contador,Le Tour was better.For me Il Giro was the worst,couldn't enjoy it.

Richeypen said:
Voted Vino simply because it was the best action we had all year. The Tour and the Vuelta promised much but delivered very little.

What have we learnt this year? Quintana is better than Uran. Nibali is better than Peraud. Contador is better than Froome when Froome is way off form and Contador is slightly less off form.

where do you kids come up with this crap?

The Giro was too backloaded, first two weeks didn't matter at all. The controversy surrounding the Stelvio stage didn't help. I'd give it a narrow pass though.

The Tour suffered from the crashes of the favourites, but stage by stage it was exciting and it offered quite some variety. A lot of good battles for stage wins. In terms of design the best race of the three by a landslide this year, and I think it showed on the road.

The Vuelta was just uninspiring. After the time trial, it was just default uphill mode or a bunch sprint. It didn't help that the riders didn't use the one well-designed stage, but why would they? All the race made sure were that we saw the same riders on the front ad infinitum. Contador was the best of them, but there were very little opportunities for riders to challenge him on anything other than his strongest point.

Not a good year for GT racing in general in my opinion.

Arnout said:
The Giro was too backloaded, first two weeks didn't matter at all. The controversy surrounding the Stelvio stage didn't help. I'd give it a narrow pass though.

The Tour suffered from the crashes of the favourites, but stage by stage it was exciting and it offered quite some variety. A lot of good battles for stage wins. In terms of design the best race of the three by a landslide this year, and I think it showed on the road.

The Vuelta was just uninspiring. After the time trial, it was just default uphill mode or a bunch sprint. It didn't help that the riders didn't use the one well-designed stage, but why would they? All the race made sure were that we saw the same riders on the front ad infinitum. Contador was the best of them, but there were very little opportunities for riders to challenge him on anything other than his strongest point.

Not a good year for GT racing in general in my opinion.

Cant really disagree with any of that. If it wasnt for the crashes Le Tour wold have been immense. The Vuelta was designed so that Valverde or Jrod would win and will be again next year and the next. I honestly cant remember anything that happened in the Giro. Did anything?