Best One Day Road Rider of the Decade 2000-2009

Who is the Best One Day Road Rider of the past Decade 2000-2009?

  • Alejandro Valverde

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
A

Anonymous

Guest
some strange choices in there... :confused:


Damiano Cunego = yes, three lombardias
Philippe Gilbert = joke right??
Paolo Bettini = Deffo, only PR and RvV short of the full set
Danilo Di Luca = Erm...? Why
Davide Rebellin = Not sure iD have him on the list either
Fabian Cancellara = Nope.. wouldnt have him on the list either
Óscar Freire = maybe
Tom Boonen = Yes, obviously
Stijn Devolder = Yes - definately
Alejandro Valverde = For LbL yes..

wouldnt have gilbert on that list, or di luca, or cancellara... rebellin and freire are maybes

I think the ommission of Eric Zabel is completely unfathomable.. sure it was towards the end of his career but he should still be in there (saying that his last world championship medal was 2006 he last half the decade).. and i think Peter Van Petegem should definately be in there, not just his wins but the sheer quantity of his high placings put him better than many on that list, Bartoli, Possibly even O'Grady would be more deserving that di luca, cance and freire..

for me then it would be an argument between zabel at the start of the decade, and boonen from the end of the decade.. My heart would go with Eric.. but i cant vote for him.. :( SOd it.. bettini.. :/

but no zabel or van petegem... daft...
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
dimspace said:
wouldnt have gilbert on that list, or di luca, or cancellara... rebellin and freire are maybes

Possibly even O'Grady would be more deserving that di luca, cance and freire..
I'd say for the first 5": Bettini, Boonen, Zabel, van Petegem, Rebellin.

But O'Grady for winning Roubaix once?
Freire did Sanremo and the worlds twice this decade, he won Gent - Wevelgem and the Hamburg classic and got 3 wins in the Brabantse Pijl.
Di Luca....Lombardy, LBL, AGR, Fleche Wallone, Emilia, Milano - Torino...

Rebellin won AGR, FW and LBL in one week, that's huge no matter how you do it.

Museeuw should also be on there. Twice Paris-Roubaix, the Hamburg classic and Omloop het Volk this decade.

I don't know about Bartoli. I like to think his career was ended on the Redoute in '99 :D

Boogerd could also be added (at least above Gilbert and Canc)
He only won the Brabantse Pijl twice, but has so many podiums in Lombardy, AGR and LBL he should be considered as one of the best one day racers of this decade.


To avoid 3 more topics:
Stage racer: Contador
Sprinter: Cipo
TT: Cancellara
:D
 
Mar 26, 2009
2,534
0
0
The poll miss too many riders such as Zabel/Van Petegem/Bartoli/Tchmil/etc etc.
 
Dec 4, 2009
3
0
0
Hello,

Sorry for missing out a couple of key riders, I didn't realise Zabel had big wins in this decade, unfortunately I can't edit the poll options :confused:

Fortunately I don't think it would change the winning result outcome of this decade though, it may be closer if you took the whole of Zabel's career?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
so Zabel, Muuseuw, Van Petegem, Bartoli, Boogerd in...

Who out..?
 
Jul 22, 2009
205
0
0
ak-zaaf said:
To avoid 3 more topics:
Stage racer: Contador
Sprinter: Cipo
TT: Cancellara
:D
Seriously? Didn't some other guy win the tour six years in a rows starting in 2000?

Agreed on the sprinter and time trialist though.

Kevin
 
Dec 4, 2009
3
0
0
nslckevin said:
Seriously? Didn't some other guy win the tour six years in a rows starting in 2000?

Agreed on the sprinter and time trialist though.

Kevin
That sprinter title won't stay for long, by the looking of the dominant force in bunch sprints today! :D
 
Jul 22, 2009
205
0
0
Go_Live said:
That sprinter title won't stay for long, by the looking of the dominant force in bunch sprints today! :D
Agreed. Lucky for Cipo that the decade is ending!

Kevin
 
Mar 19, 2009
257
0
0
dimspace said:
some strange choices in there... :confused:


Damiano Cunego = yes, three lombardias
Philippe Gilbert = joke right??
Paolo Bettini = Deffo, only PR and RvV short of the full set
Danilo Di Luca = Erm...? Why
Davide Rebellin = Not sure iD have him on the list either
Fabian Cancellara = Nope.. wouldnt have him on the list either
Óscar Freire = maybe
Tom Boonen = Yes, obviously
Stijn Devolder = Yes - definately
Alejandro Valverde = For LbL yes..

wouldnt have gilbert on that list, or di luca, or cancellara... rebellin and freire are maybes
If Devolder is a yes, Gilbert certainly is: Lombardia, 2x Paris-Tours, 2x Het Volk, Piemonte, Top 5 in Sanremo, LBL, Amstel, & RVV, Virtual 2009 World Cup Winner.


Ballan is missing in the list (WC, RvV, Hamburg, Top 5 PR, San Sebastian).
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
il_fiammingo said:
If Devolder is a yes, Gilbert certainly is: Lombardia, 2x Paris-Tours, 2x Het Volk, Piemonte, Top 5 in Sanremo, LBL, Amstel, & RVV, Virtual 2009 World Cup Winner.


Ballan is missing in the list (WC, RvV, Hamburg, Top 5 PR, San Sebastian).
but gilbert you are looking at maybe 1 or 2 years at the end of the decade.. now ask this question again in 2019 about the period 2009-2018 then gilbert will almost certainly be in there...

although to be fair, in retrospect im not convinced devolder should be on the list..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Zabel
Muuseuw
Van Petegem
Bartoli
Boogerd
Bettini
Reballin
Boonen
Freire
Di Luca

how about that?

i dont think it would be such a one sided vote with those ten..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Buffalo Soldier said:
Both Museeuw & Zabel were at best between 1995-2004, not 2000-2009...

Last decade: Bettini or Boonen
so zabel was riding competitavely from 2000-2006 (ilver world champ in 2006) thats over half the decade...

by that argument you could say that boonen only is at his best between 2005 and 2009, thats half a decade.. and in 2009 he was crap.. so really boonen was only at the top for three years... i dont really think boonen can qualify as best of the decade based on three good years.. ;)

cyclegeek said:
Good list! I still think Musseuw but close over Zabel.
oh that wasnt in order... that was just what i think the ten should have been
 
Jun 19, 2009
2
0
0
best one day rider the next 10 years

look for Steven Cozza, Garmin / Transistions Pro Tour Team- tuff as nails, his motto "Never Give up" His favorite race - Paris Roubaix, loves the cobbles, the rain and cold. He's got a good chance of making your next list covering the next 10 years. Check out his web site http://www.stevencozza.com Keep an eye on him for the 2010 RR Season;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
ak-zaaf said:
I'd say for the first 5": Bettini, Boonen, Zabel, van Petegem, Rebellin.

But O'Grady for winning Roubaix once?
Freire did Sanremo and the worlds twice this decade, he won Gent - Wevelgem and the Hamburg classic and got 3 wins in the Brabantse Pijl.
Di Luca....Lombardy, LBL, AGR, Fleche Wallone, Emilia, Milano - Torino...

Rebellin won AGR, FW and LBL in one week, that's huge no matter how you do it.

Museeuw should also be on there. Twice Paris-Roubaix, the Hamburg classic and Omloop het Volk this decade.

I don't know about Bartoli. I like to think his career was ended on the Redoute in '99 :D

Boogerd could also be added (at least above Gilbert and Canc)
He only won the Brabantse Pijl twice, but has so many podiums in Lombardy, AGR and LBL he should be considered as one of the best one day racers of this decade.


To avoid 3 more topics:
Stage racer: Contador
Sprinter: Cipo
TT: Cancellara
:D
+1......................

Yea, he was ending at the beginning of the decade, but still...
 
Mar 11, 2009
664
0
0
dimspace said:
Zabel
Muuseuw
Van Petegem
Bartoli
Boogerd
Bettini
Reballin
Boonen
Freire
Di Luca

how about that?

i dont think it would be such a one sided vote with those ten..
Good list.

I voted for Davide Rebellin simply because of his Ardennes triple in 04.
 
Mar 18, 2009
93
0
0
As far as results go, I'd have to say Rebellin too. The guy was ranked in the UCI top 5 for what, 8 years in a row? He hasn't had tons of Classics wins, but he's always up there and has probably had more top 5's than any other current rider. Not that he's current any more after his Olympics shenanigans :rolleyes:.

If I had to pick my personal favorite off that list, I'd say Zabel. One of the classiest riders of the modern era, and the guy just loves bikes.
 
Mar 19, 2009
257
0
0
A few years ago i started by own cycling ranking in SQL. Based on that calculation i would rank the one day specialists for the perdiod 2000-2009 as following:

1 BETTINI, Paolo 2770
2 REBELLIN, Davide 2295
3 BOONEN, Tom 2125
4 ZABEL, Erik 1885
5 FREIRE, Oscar 1460
6 DI LUCA, Danilo 1220
7 VALVERDE, Alejan. 1190
8 BOOGERD, Michael 980
9 CUNEGO, Damiano 965
10 BARTOLI, Michele 940
11 MCEWEN, Robbie 890
12 POZZATO, Filippo 880
13 GILBERT, Philippe 855
14 MUSEEUW, Johan 820
15 VAN PETEGEM, Pe. 810
16 SANCHEZ, Samuel 780
17 SCHLECK, Frank 745
18 O'GRADY, Stuart 685
19 FLECHA, Juan Ant. 665
20 BALLAN, Alessand. 655

others
23 ULLRICH, Jan 605
24 WESEMANN, Steff. 605
28 CANCELLARA, Fab. 570
37 TCHMIL, Andrei 390
40 EVANS, Cadel 345
41 KROON, Karsten 340
42 DEVOLDER, Stijn 330
43 HINCAPIE, George 305
44 CAVENDISH, Mark 300
45 HOSTE, Leif 300
46 NUYENS, Nick 300
76 ARMSTRONG, L. 165


Only podium places taken into account (ex. worlds: top 5).
Races:
- worlds (225, 155, 110, 75, 55)
- Classics (AGR, Zurich, LBL, Sanremo, PR, Tours, Lombardia, RVV, Olympics: 150, 100, 65)
- Hors Category (Sebastian,Wevelgem, Hamburg, Lazio, Fleche W: 100, 65, 40)
- 1st Category (E3, Milano-Turino, Het Volk, Paris-Bruxelles, Henninger Turm, Emilia, Piemonte, Scheldeprijs, Veneto: 75, 50, 30)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY