Where are the nicest places in the world to live for someone who both commutes by bike, and enjoys recreational cycling, including sportives, tours, races? Some factors:
- Parcours: decent climbs of different lengths and grades, good scenery.
- Climate: Not too hot or too cold or too wet or too windy. Possible to cycle 12 months a year.
- Bike-friendliness: Drivers aware of and respectful towards cyclists, possible to bring bikes on public transport.
- Plenty of hills - some short walls, cat 2 climbs in the Berkeley Hills, Mount Tam etc over in Marin, HC Mount Diablo.
- Perfect climate, mild all year round, although very hot of you go inland from the Berkeley Hills
- Pretty good, people drive very slowly and give cyclists a wide berth, common to bring bikes on the BART
- Wicklow Mountains to the south, a bunch of cat 2 and one cat 1 climb
- Poor climate, mild but 185 days of rain a year, months of GW 2015 level winds in autumn/winter
- Very poor, widespread speeding, dangerous overtaking, hit & runs. Have to pay to bring bikes on mainline trains, limited spaces