• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Best training location in Europe?

May 5, 2009
1
0
0
Visit site
Hi - I'm training for the Etape and have a couple of free weekends with which I would like to go and find some mountains to train in....what are people's thoughts on the best locations? I had thought of Grenoble (for Alpe D'Huez) or Nice to try the Madone. I suppose I could do Ventoux given the etape is going up it or I could also try Italy - was thinking about timing it with the Giro?
 

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
525
0
0
Visit site
cadelfan said:
Hi - I'm training for the Etape and have a couple of free weekends with which I would like to go and find some mountains to train in....what are people's thoughts on the best locations? I had thought of Grenoble (for Alpe D'Huez) or Nice to try the Madone. I suppose I could do Ventoux given the etape is going up it or I could also try Italy - was thinking about timing it with the Giro?


Grenoble is over rated. It’s about 80km from the real action so I'd be more included to stay in the Province or if you want the Alps go to Bourg d'Oisans. However Bourg d'Oisans is a very sleepy town and not a lot is going on after you ride. Funny enough not a lot of cyclists there either.

If you want mountains and the "la dolce vita " I would go to Lucca in Italy. It’s in Tuscany about 1 hour from Florence and many pros live there including Cavendish. The food is amazing and so is the city. The riding is absolutely amazing with many “colli’s” to test yourself on for the etape as well undulating roads. There you will see a town full of cyclists and the real life that surrounds it. The Tirreno-Adriatico went through Lucca this year and its surronds.

Look up Monte Serra which is a popular climb that pros test themselves on - http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=2635

If you want more info PM me and I'll put you in touch with some locals who will take you riding.
 
You lucky *******. I'm not even gonna try to help you out of spite. :mad:

But if I did help, I would say try Ventoux since it may be the big decider this year.

But then again, the Alpe d'Huez is the Alpe d'Huez, so if you've never ridden it before...
 
Going over for my 7th TdF this year, and each year I have spent some portion of time in the Briancon area. More specifically, Monetier-les-Bains or La Salle des Alpes. From there, there are many great out-and-back rides within range. Col d'Izoard, Col du Granon, Col de Montgenevre, Col du Mont Cenis, Colle Sestriere, Col du Lauteret, Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier.

It's also about an hour's drive to Bourg d'Oisans, where you can pick up the Croix de Fer, Les Deux Alpes, Col du Glandon, l'Alpe d'Huez and others.

This whole stretch is mighty sleepy, especially this year since the TdF is avoiding the area all together. But if you're looking to get up, go for a long out-and-back, picking up a couple monument climbs, get back to the hotel, shower, nap, go to the hot spring baths, eat a HUGE dinner of mountain cuisine, go to sleep early, and do it again the next day, hard to beat.

Some other interesting options are the Burgundy (Bourgogne) area, which has a lot of great little 3 and 4 km Cotes. Same with the Rhone area (Orange, Avignon, Ige, etc.). More nightlife and stuff to do.

Finally, my teammates swear by the St. Lary Soulan area of the Pyrenees.

Bonne chance!
 
53x11 in DC said:
Finally, my teammates swear by the St. Lary Soulan area of the Pyrenees.
Bonne chance!

The Pyrenees are rainy at the best of times. This "summer" looks like being another washout.

I'd go for the Tuscany option. If you can hook up with locals, that sounds like your best option.
 
53x11 in DC said:
Going over for my 7th TdF this year, and each year I have spent some portion of time in the Briancon area. More specifically, Monetier-les-Bains or La Salle des Alpes. From there, there are many great out-and-back rides within range. Col d'Izoard, Col du Granon, Col de Montgenevre, Col du Mont Cenis, Colle Sestriere, Col du Lauteret, Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier.

It's also about an hour's drive to Bourg d'Oisans, where you can pick up the Croix de Fer, Les Deux Alpes, Col du Glandon, l'Alpe d'Huez and others.OTE]

Agree with this, I stayed in Briancon last year also and there is a great range of mountains to pick from plus the climb up to the citadel in Briancon centre.

I also stayed in Argeles-Gazost outside Lourdes in the Pyrenees. Soulor, Aubisque, Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Cauterets all within easy striking distance.

Fianlly, Canazei in the Dolomites, at the foot of Passo Pordoi, Passo Fedia(Mamolada) also Passo Sella, Costalunga, San Pellegrino and Alpe di Pampeago are not that far away.

None of these towns are particularly happening places but Briancon is the most beautiful town and the biggest.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Visit site
Whilst perhaps not as fashionable as the Pyrenees or the Alps, I would suggest going somewhere that the roads are quiet but where there is plenty of cycling culture. Get a flight to Nice, book into a chambre d'hotes in one of the villages near to Fayence like Callian or Mons and ride the roads used in this year's Tour du Haut Var and Paris-Nice that AC blew up on. From here, you can get in an amazing circular ride to the Gorge du Verdon which should be one all cyclists must do's. A donf!
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,318
0
0
Visit site
...and each year I have spent some portion of time in the Briancon area.

Second that. Briancon is perfectly suited to tackle most of the 'monster' French (and some of the Italian) Alpe climbs. And it is a great town! Just south, towards Gap, takes you out of the high alpine climates and great smaller (but still difficult) climbs.

In Italy I would look around Feltre.
 
Apr 18, 2009
118
0
0
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
If you want mountains and the "la dolce vita " I would go to Lucca in Italy.

I second the recommendation for Italy. The Lucca area is pretty nice from what little I've seen of it. Another one is around Bassano del Grappa, which has some pretty big climbs itself, as well as flats to the south, and rollers along the base of the mountains. You can get to some higher passes if you make a long day of it, or drive a little bit into the big mountains. Also, the Veneto is absolutely full of cyclists, bike shops, factories. You could very nearly put together an entire bicycle made completely in the Veneto.

How's Lucca's weather in the summer? Bassano can get some fairly vicious afternoon thunderstorms.