• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Young Riders 2015

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen a thread on this yet, but feel free to remove this if there is already one. But who is expected to be some of the best young riders of this new 2015 season?

Best GC guys, Climbers, Sprinters??

Part of the reason I ask this is because I just stumbled across the Lachlan Morton documentary he did with his brother, "Thereabouts". It was very good. And I know he had a bright future, but stepped away and has now returned with Jelly Belly. Does anyone know of his upcoming races and what we can expect from him? Seems like he has a lot of talent.

Enrico Gimondi said:
I haven't seen a thread on this yet, but feel free to remove this if there is already one. But who is expected to be some of the best young riders of this new 2015 season?

Best GC guys, Climbers, Sprinters??

Part of the reason I ask this is because I just stumbled across the Lachlan Morton documentary he did with his brother, "Thereabouts". It was very good. And I know he had a bright future, but stepped away and has now returned with Jelly Belly. Does anyone know of his upcoming races and what we can expect from him? Seems like he has a lot of talent.

Hi!
I have no info on Lachlan Morton, but for more threads about young and upcoming riders I suggest you try the Games and Fantasy forum. Several games there were young riders are discussed. In addition we already have this thread:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=25644

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
New Danish Viking Warrior Hero is born.

Simon Andreassen just won the Junior Cyclocross World Championship in Tabor and is the first Danish junior world champ.

Simon Andreassen is also the current Mt Bike Junior World Champion!

Will he also win the road title?

Meet the beast ... :eek:

FIL58f4ec_122558_9969960.jpg

Jancouver said:
Please remind me, how many rainbow jerseys she got?

The OP asked for talented youngsters. Sure, Andreassen's won some jerseys. But it's not meant to be, or at least I haven't read it as, a thread for one-upmanship, and even if it was, somebody could just name Mathieu van der Poel and end the thread.

Niewiadoma was the last one dropped by Emma Pooley in the queen stage of the Giro, as a 19yo neo-pro, and was 11th in the Worlds despite riding almost alone for the second half of the race. So she's a young rider of whom there are big expectations.

Jancouver said:

Simon Andreassen just won the Junior Cyclocross World Championship in Tabor and is the first Danish junior world champ.

Simon doesnt really ride on the road, and doubt that is going to change any time soon. He recently signed a multi year deal with Redbull for MTB

I dont believe Simon has any plans of turning to road racing anytime soon. If he has succes in MTB and cyclocross when as a senior, I could see him going for road racing at some point (like Stybar fx), but we shouldn't expect to see him ob the road for the next couple of years.

The Danish youth looks really talented.

Jancouver said:

Are you sure this isnt Wilco Kelderman with a Danish shirt on?

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think either this year or next year Merhawi Kudus will have a breakthrough.

Also, the day when Jungels stops thinking about climbing and stage races and the day he starts focusing on timetrialling and races that are suited to rouleurs is the day he will have a breakthrough. What a waste last season was for such an incredibly talented rider!

Maaaaaaaarten said:
I think either this year or next year Merhawi Kudus will have a breakthrough.

Also, the day when Jungels stops thinking about climbing and stage races and the day he starts focusing on timetrialling and races that are suited to rouleurs is the day he will have a breakthrough. What a waste last season was for such an incredibly talented rider!

I agree. Kudus has been showing hints of what could be since last season. This year his climbing with Valverde at Mallorca was quite impressive.

Young upcoming riders from Colombia: Rodrigo Contreras (TT, GC, climber), 20 years old, will be joining Etixx-Quickstep next year. GC rider, supposedly tested better than Mauricio Soler & Nairo Quintana at this age.
618444Ciclista.Rodrigo.Contreras600.jpg

Not finalized, but Fernando Gaviria (Track, sprinter) will be joining him at Etixx-Quickstep. He is also 20 years old.
jworlds12-momnium1.jpg

Gaviria just won the world championship in omnium. Very impressive display from him.

Just after that, Stefan K?ng did a mighty impressive ride to take the gold medal in individual pursuit against Bobridge in the final. Halfway through Bobridge was more than 3 seconds in front of K?ng, who did a ferocious comeback especially in the last k (where he took around 0.3 seconds per lap) to take the gold medal.

A lot of young guys going really well this year. Simon Yates stepped up this year while Adam so far continues to ride on a very high level. Bonifazio with a couple of good results early and then an impressive 6th place at MSR. Then Benoot came and rode the classics like he had been doing it for years. Incredible RVV. Küng started his season a bit late because of the track WC, but already placed second in a tt after Wiggo and won two exceptional solo victories first at Volta de Limburg and later in Romandie. Alaphillippe in the Ardennes was insane too. Lopez and Mccarthy rode well in Turkey also.

Hard to remember a spring where so many young riders have been on the front at the very best races.

Sure thing Ruudzor, you have a terrific site there. One suggestion for an interview might be the young Brit climber Hugh Carthy riding for Caja Rural who has finished in the top 20s, teens, and single digits on some of the tough stages and overall in Pais Vasco, Trentino and Asturias no less. Cycling Hub interviewed him during Trentino but he sounded understandably tired, so it would be good to read some clearer comments from him between races if possible. I also recall hearing the announcers call out his name as "McCarthy" when he finished the hardest Trentino stage next to teammate Arroyo, eventually finishing 4th on the young rider classification behind Meintjes, Kudus, and Buchmann. Ah well, cheers!