• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biggest one day drop in GC?

It’s not Dumoulin, but his result today raises the question. Anyone want to take a stab at this? Floyd fell from 1st to 11th when he bonked. I know a lot of times a rider is 1st only because of early, flat stages and is expected to drop when the first real climb appears, but maybe we could just consider riders who are considered genuine contenders, who are in first place at some point after the mountains begin.

I know that it doesn't fit exactly as he was not in the lead, but Jalabert dropped from 2nd to 19th or something like that, when he had a "bad yogurt" in the 1996 Vuelta.

Edit: and speaking of Jalabert imploding in the lead - he went from 1st to 29th in the 1997 Vuelta. But that was only the second mountain stage.

The man leading the Vuelta in 1983 lost more than 15 minutes and dropped to 12th on the last Friday.

CEY21rNWEAA_0ST.jpg

Early in the race but in the 2013 tour Richie Porte was 2nd overall after the big MTF on stage 8, but then dropped to 33rd overall after cracking on stage 9.

edit: ok, he wasnt in the lead so it doesn't quite fit with the OP's criteria.

Re: Re:

:)
Angliru said:
Escarabajo said:
BigMac said:
Escarabajo said:
There are probably many other riders that were sprinters that were in the lead going into the mountains in the Tours and Giros. Maybe one of them plummeted down dramatically.

Read the OP. ;)
???
I read it again. Did I miss something?

"Genuine contenders".
Ok. Thanks. I guess title wasn't enough.

Frosty said:
Early in the race but in the 2013 tour Richie Porte was 2nd overall after the big MTF on stage 8, but then dropped to 33rd overall after cracking on stage 9.

edit: ok, he wasnt in the lead so it doesn't quite fit with the OP's criteria.

Never a three week GT contender, BMC have made a big mistake.