• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biggest winners and losers of 2011

Who does everyone think were the biggest winners and losers of 2011? Who shined and who flopped?

Winners:
Contador - Even though he lost at the Tour, his Giro performance was quite the memorable one. He showed everyone who the top dog was and defeated his rivals physically and mentally. He showed that nobody is in his league when he's at his best. He did get humbled a little by not winning both GT's.

Froome - From nobody to possible GC contender within 3 weeks. Good times for him.

Philippe Gilbert - Did just about everything aside from winning the World Championships. Had one of the better years that I can remember in recent times. 2011 was the year of Gilbert.

Cavendish - Finally got the elusive green jersey and got a World Championship.

Evans - Never thought he would pull it off but he did. He had luck in his corner and did what needed to be done at the right time.

Steven Kruijswik - Had a better first half of the season, but he really made a name for himself this year and should have a bright future ahead.

Wilco Keldermann - He had a great year and looks like a future star. I'm really excited to see what he can do in the pro ranks someday.

TGBM - He showed what he could do and just narrowly missed a podium. Rabobank had a heck of a year and I can't to see what they do with their crew.

Losers:

Riccardo Ricco - Finally got back to where he was before and now may never race again.

Andy Schleck - Had a great performance on the one stage at the tour, but blew it on a tour that was pretty much built for him.

Dennis Menchov - Not a bad year, but let's face it, he sucked in the Giro for the most part and ended up being a domestique for Cobo. Not to mention that he missed the Tour.

Filippo Pozzato - He became a joke for commentators at the Vuelta. It was not a good year for him and it was definitely not a good team for him.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I should also add Tony Martin, and as much as I love him, Ryder hesjedal should be in the losers category after going from 7th(?) to barely to 18th this year, it was a great disappointment, didnt hushovd win 2 stages in the tour, if so he should go in the winners list.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
I should also add Tony Martin, and as much as I love him, Ryder hesjedal should be in the losers category after going from 7th(?) to barely to 18th this year, it was a great disappointment, didnt hushovd win 2 stages in the tour, if so he should go in the winners list.

I wouldn't call ryder a dissapointment, but rather an over-achiever last year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd add Sagan, Goss, and Kittel to the winners list
and to the losers, I'd add Lui Leon Sanchez, aside from a tour stage win, and the spanish TT championships, he's done nothing

Winner. Wiggins.

Winners Sky.

Loser Ricco.

Loser Cancellara

Winners Euskaltel.

Losers, Euskaltels 2 big names. 1 Had the stage excuse for the Giro, but no excuse would do for failure at the Vuelta.

The other worked his *** off to get into the shape of his life, for the race he wanted to peak in, and the organisers took it all away just like that. KOM does not make up for not being able to challenge for gc.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd add Guardini to the winners list - he's probably fallen a little off the radar in the second half of the season, but that's to be expected for a neo.

Losers, UCI for the fact we still don't have a definitive answer to who won the 2010 Tour and we're almost into 2012. Just a decision either way would be nice.

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Winner. Wiggins.

Winners Sky.

Loser Ricco.

Loser Cancellara

Winners Euskaltel.

Losers, Euskaltels 2 big names. 1 Had the stage excuse for the Giro, but no excuse would do for failure at the Vuelta.

The other worked his *** off to get into the shape of his life, for the race he wanted to peak in, and the organisers took it all away just like that. KOM does not make up for not being able to challenge for gc.

How exactly did they do that?

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Gave Schleck 1 minutes 30 on Samu on a stage where Samu finished in front of Schleck.

Decided that the 3k rule only applies to some riders.

Add ttt and he was 2.30 down and therefor out, before the first mountain stage.

Ah right, which stage was that? Must have been one of the ones I missed while on holiday...

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Gave Schleck 1 minutes 30 on Samu on a stage where Samu finished in front of Schleck.

Decided that the 3k rule only applies to some riders.

Add ttt and he was 2.30 down and therefor out, before the first mountain stage.

We've been over this but obviously you don't understand the rule. Samu crashed BEFORE the 3km to go point, you only get the same time if you are in the bunch that crashes within 3km to go, if your not in that bunch and you roll up to it after the crash well that's too bad.

I can't believe your still so sour about this

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
EBH- Two stages at the Tour, won Eneco and Vattenfall. Saved Sky's Tour. Improved his climbing ability, as seen in Oman and the Pinerolo stage.

Goss- Only sprinter to survive Gilberts rampage on the Poggio and eventually won MSR after riding a smart finale.
Done nothing since though. But a monument is a monument.

Hushovd- Awesome defence of the yellow jersey and two stages at the Tour.

Pinot - Stage wins against fierce competition in Tour de I'Ain. Overall victory in Tour Alsace and Settimana Lombarda(?). Big
effort on stage seven of CdD, but came up short against Purito's late acceleration.

Also, Hesjedal's TdF was not so bad as most people make it. Top ten on
Alpe and Galibier, on both occasions after pacing Danielson. Probably
would've done better on those stages had that not been the case. And Hushovd probably wouldn't have won his second
stage had it not been for Hesjedal. One the best domestiques of the Tour.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
woodie said:
We've been over this but obviously you don't understand the rule. Samu crashed BEFORE the 3km to go point, you only get the same time if you are in the bunch that crashes within 3km to go, if your not in that bunch and you roll up to it after the crash well that's too bad.

It was cruel.

But them the rules, stated prior to the race.

Can't really blame the organisers.

No offense hitch, but I don't see how EE are winners.
Unless you are in regards to the basque in general with the return to the vuelta. But that isn't really EE.

--

anyway the winners
- Evans, Cobo, Froome, Wiggo, Scaponi (2nd at Giro.. that is a very good result), contador, cav, Goss, JvS, Nuyens, Gilbert, Tommy V.

Losers:
schleck Jnr, radioshack, injured riders etc.

Pinot probally the most impressive/proomising youngster imo.

woodie said:

Because the 3k crash cost Samu at least a minute and yet it was decided that (perhaps because Contador was in his group) he was not worthy of being considered for the 3k rule.

We both know if it had happened to Evens there would not be a day on the forum without the incident being mentioned. Kind of like we still hear about the 2009 Vuelta mechanical.

Sanchez was screwed. His fans have a right to complain about it, and your disapproval will do nothing to shut me up.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
]No offense hitch, but I don't see how EE are winners.
Unless you are in regards to the basque in general with the return to the vuelta. But that isn't really EE.

Stage win in all 3 gts.

Also, offense????

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
No offense hitch, but I don't see how EE are winners.
Maybe because Samu is part of the team? :rolleyes: or because at least one EE rider won a stage in all 3 GT? Either way is lame. Tell me HTC is a winner.

Oh yeah how could we forget Gadret:p

I still remember the "who is the best rider for every team" thread where only like 3 of us picked Gadret.

Isnt any doubt about the answer now is there?

Actually French gt cycling in general with Dupont, Rolland, and Peraud emerging and of course Voeckler. And Moncoutie still going strong.

cineteq said:
Maybe because Samu is part of the team? :rolleyes: or because at least one EE rider won a stage in all 3 GT? Either way is lame. Tell me HTC is a winner.

If you read my posts you would realise i am nowhere near a big a EE fanboy as much of the forum.

But your posts rarely go past the cheap trolling stage, dont they?

Hitch, there's a difference between "Samu was screwed by bad luck" and "the organizers went out of their way to bend the rules and screw with Samu." The latter is blatantly false.

And yes, some Cuddles fanboys keep bringing up the 2009 Vuelta mechanical - but in all honesty, do you want to be like them? :p

hrotha said:
Hitch, there's a difference between "Samu was screwed by bad luck" and "the organizers went out of their way to bend the rules and screw with Samu." The latter is blatantly false.

And yes, some Cuddles fanboys keep bringing up the 2009 Vuelta mechanical - but in all honesty, do you want to be like them? :p

I said he was screwed by the organisers. Not the first nor last. Cav was screwed by the organisers in 09 for example. It happens sometimes.

The difference is I am a lone voice whereas the Cadel crowd is large and much of it talks about **** else but Cadel/ trashing other riders.

And i actually sympathise with them regarding Cadels previous misfortunes. They have a right to complain about it now and again.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Because the 3k crash cost Samu at least a minute and yet it was decided that (perhaps because Contador was in his group) he was not worthy of being considered for the 3k rule.

We both know if it had happened to Evens there would not be a day on the forum without the incident being mentioned. Kind of like we still hear about the 2009 Vuelta mechanical.

Sanchez was screwed. His fans have a right to complain about it, and your disapproval will do nothing to shut me up.

Stage win in all 3 gts.

Also, offense????

I don't even think acf would call it sabotage from the organizers tho. Just bad luck.... myabe he would :eek:

as for the 3 stage wins. IMO no way enough to consider them one of the big winners (movistar, htc and garmin also did this).

I'd say they had a succesful tour. A decent giro. And a poor vuelta all things considered. On a whole I can't view euskatel a winner this season. I like them and all, but they were not a standout.