• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

bike value

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question; I have a 2002 Orbea Airplane frame built up with same era (i.e. 10 speed) Campy Centaur and Proton wheels. It's been a back up bike for five years or so, and it's time to sell it. Problem is, I don't know how to price it.

Probably have $2000.00 in it, or so. Any rule of thumb on resale value of road bikes, assuming it's in good shape (i.e. no problems, minor blemishes consistent with its age)?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Sounds like a great bike but depends where you live. Something like that where I live would fetch 500-700$. Not that there is any real performance difference between your bike and a 2010 model..its just how the industry works regarding 'value'.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
SteveH said:
Hey everyone:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question; I have a 2002 Orbea Airplane frame built up with same era (i.e. 10 speed) Campy Centaur and Proton wheels. It's been a back up bike for five years or so, and it's time to sell it. Problem is, I don't know how to price it.

Probably have $2000.00 in it, or so. Any rule of thumb on resale value of road bikes, assuming it's in good shape (i.e. no problems, minor blemishes consistent with its age)?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

What Currency is that?

USD / AUSD?

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
SteveH said:
Any rule of thumb on resale value of road bikes, assuming it's in good shape
Steve

I would throw it up on Ebay and see where it goes.

Keep your expectations low. A groupset is going to cost someone $400, wheelset $200, Frame $600. You will be saving someone money as a package deal at $700.

TRENDING THREADS