BMC' Ride for Big George

Mar 18, 2009
223
0
0
Looking at the BMC training camp photos this morning, could not help to wonder if George's ride will survive a race like Paris-Roubaix. The rear stays that joins the seat down-tube does not look that sturdy to me. But then I imagine BMC has done their homework and has done some extensive tests.

See pic: George's Ride

Mods: If this belongs in 'Gear' - please move

Thanks
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
0
0
ridley said:
Looking at the BMC training camp photos this morning, could not help to wonder if George's ride will survive a race like Paris-Roubaix. The rear stays that joins the seat down-tube does not look that sturdy to me. But then I imagine BMC has done their homework and has done some extensive tests.

See pic: George's Ride
Hincapie is not exactly known for choosing robust and bullet proof equipment for P-R. I see another race end in a ditch.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,096
0
0
ridley said:
Looking at the BMC training camp photos this morning, could not help to wonder if George's ride will survive a race like Paris-Roubaix. The rear stays that joins the seat down-tube does not look that sturdy to me. But then I imagine BMC has done their homework and has done some extensive tests.

See pic: George's Ride

Mods: If this belongs in 'Gear' - please move

Thanks
I don't think that bike is the bike George will be taking to Roubaix. I'm sure adjustments and mods will be made to suit the cobbles, but I know what you mean.
 
ridley said:
Looking at the BMC training camp photos this morning, could not help to wonder if George's ride will survive a race like Paris-Roubaix. The rear stays that joins the seat down-tube does not look that sturdy to me. But then I imagine BMC has done their homework and has done some extensive tests.

See pic: George's Ride

Mods: If this belongs in 'Gear' - please move



Thanks
Cervelo Riders used the RS model on last year's PR -those seat stays are so thin and yet stiff and strong that are deceiving at first glance- the same thing happens to the BMx* bike George is riding- he should be concerned about his teammates Ballan, Burghardt and the rest of the competition instead....

ed.= its a BMC Bike - instead of a BMX
 
Mar 18, 2009
223
0
0
hfer07 said:
Cervelo Riders used the RS model on last year's PR -those seat stays are so thin and yet stiff and strong that are deceiving at first glance- the same thing happens to the BMX bike George is riding- he should be concerned about his teammates Ballan, Burghardt and the rest of the competition instead....
I SURELY hope they DO NOT give him a BMX bike for P-R ;)
 
Aug 16, 2009
323
0
0
Several of my favorite cycling photos are of George attempting Paris-Roubaix. I sure hope he can get his win as a reward for all of the great racing scenes that he has provided us over the years at this race.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
ridley said:
I SURELY hope they DO NOT give him a BMX bike for P-R ;)
I think that would be freaking sweet. Maybe he could do an indie handjob grab fakie cement toaster or something off a cobble?
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,279
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
I think that would be freaking sweet. Maybe he could do an indie handjob grab fakie cement toaster or something off a cobble?
Leipheimer would be the ideal candidate for that. Short man, small bike and can lean against the side of a cobblestone.

Anyway, is there any 'science' to back that triangular shaped seat-post/top-tube connection?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
how much do you reckon the bike costs?

looking forward to the classics especially the cobbled classics. So many teams have good chances to podium or even win the cobbled classics. You have Quickstep (Boonen, Devolder), Saxo bank (O'Grady , Cancellara), BMC (Hincapie, ballan, Burghardt), Sky (Flecha, Boasson Hagen), Lotto (Hoste, van Avermaet), Garmin (Maaskant, van Summeren), Katusha (Pozzato) and Cervelo (Haussler, Hushovd)!
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
Bala Verde said:
Anyway, is there any 'science' to back that triangular shaped seat-post/top-tube connection?

Good question. Certainly the science of ugly. I would agree that if those whip-thin Cervelo stays can hold up to Cancellara and O'Grady's beatdowns on the cobbles this BMC BMX bike can surely do the same. But then I am no engineer.
 
Sep 9, 2009
58
0
0
That bike was raced last year at PR by 4 BMC riders, held up fine and is why its in production now. Also these pro machines and race master frames are just training bikes I'm pretty sure they will be on the new team machine.
 
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Why did the unshaven one [George H.] have his steering tube fail in the Paris Roubaix? Was the bike manufactured by TREK or another manufacturer? Is that type of catastrophic failure common after a crash in Roubaix?
 
Jul 1, 2009
226
0
0
flicker said:
Why did the unshaven one [George H.] have his steering tube fail in the Paris Roubaix? Was the bike manufactured by TREK or another manufacturer? Is that type of catastrophic failure common after a crash in Roubaix?
I remember Hincapie had a previous crash in that race that they thought (later) had damaged the aluminum steering tube without visible notice (like a crack). The later stress on the cobbles resulted in complete failure. They were debating whether to change bikes when the final failure happened. It was a Trek bike with I believe a Bontrager carbon fork. The steering tube section was Aluminum.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Psalmon said:
I remember Hincapie had a previous crash in that race that they thought (later) had damaged the aluminum steering tube without visible notice (like a crack). The later stress on the cobbles resulted in complete failure. They were debating whether to change bikes when the final failure happened. It was a Trek bike with I believe a Bontrager carbon fork. The steering tube section was Aluminum.
was that the time he was using the stock factory fork from the Trek urban bike (FX 7.7?) cos they thought it would be chubbier so therefore stronger?
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
Big GMaC said:
was that the time he was using the stock factory fork from the Trek urban bike (FX 7.7?) cos they thought it would be chubbier so therefore stronger?
I think it was the only fork they had with enough tire clearance.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
I think it was the only fork they had with enough tire clearance.
oh really? were all the disco boys running that then? cos that sound like pretty ****poor prep by the Great Trek Bicycle Making Company, not having a proper race fork I did think I had read a story maybe velonews? about hicapie switching up to a bigger for because of his size?
 
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Psalmon said:
I remember Hincapie had a previous crash in that race that they thought (later) had damaged the aluminum steering tube without visible notice (like a crack). The later stress on the cobbles resulted in complete failure. They were debating whether to change bikes when the final failure happened. It was a Trek bike with I believe a Bontrager carbon fork. The steering tube section was Aluminum.
I am riding 06 2200ZR TREK bought used. Carbon Bontranger fork with I believe aluminum steering tube. Just wondered if I had to increase my life insurance but it seems fine for now. thank you for the info.

Still I do not understand how one crash could have caused a crack. Sounds like faulty metalurology to me.
 
May 3, 2009
52
0
0
I have been riding the new BMC 2010 Team Machine and love it, It's going to fantastic for Cadel in the tour. Rear the review on my blog.
 
Apr 17, 2009
402
0
0
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
flicker said:
Why did the unshaven one [George H.] have his steering tube fail in the Paris Roubaix? Was the bike manufactured by TREK or another manufacturer? Is that type of catastrophic failure common after a crash in Roubaix?
Lance sabotaged his bike so George wouldn't take too much attention away from him if he won!
 
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Lance sabotaged his bike so George wouldn't take too much attention away from him if he won!
I wouldn't doubt it. Roubaix and the other Classics are truly fantastique and prestegious.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS